Thread: Communal housing

johnny888

Default Communal housing

So, I've decided to keep the common tree frog that I caught climbing on our wall. Fortunately, I was able to find an old aquarium with vertical orientation in our garage but I am considering of housing my chubby frog together with the tree frog. Is it ok for them to be together?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

johnny888

Default Re: Communal housing

This is the enclosure that i am preparing for this little fellow. It is still undergoing some few more changing before I put the little froggy inside and I have yet to find a nice background for the enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It is not recommended that different species be housed together, especially a captured-bred and a wild caught. There's is risk of disease contamination.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kevinp

most will agree with heather, however i do keep a mixed tank. the potential for cross-contamination is very real. this could be parasites or other pathegens. w.c. animals all have a parasite load that can overcome the animals ability to keep them in check when exposed to new stressors such as being caught ,change in diet etc. deal with this by treating and quarantining the new arrival. another major issue to over-come is differing environmental conditions. if you feel confident that the environmental conditions are met for each frog within the enclosure. good. you chose a treefrog and a ground dwelling frog so they will utilize different areas of the enclosure. this is good. make sure no animals are predatory on each other. just because one animal is larger than the other doesn't mean that the larger one will eat the smaller. many times (not all) animals won't eat something that they don't recognize as a food item. this is more prevelant in wild caught animals. i suggest heavily planting so they can stay out of each others sight if they want. a water dish off the ground for treefrogs is nice. knowing your animals behaviors prior to putting them together will allow you to better see if there is a change. gd luck

i love the philippines and will be moving there permanently !

johnny888

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    It is not recommended that different species be housed together, especially a captured-bred and a wild caught. There's is risk of disease contamination.
    They're both wild caught actually.It just so happen that I've had that chubby first last year but they both came from the same locality.

johnny888

Quote Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
    most will agree with heather, however i do keep a mixed tank. the potential for cross-contamination is very real. this could be parasites or other pathegens. w.c. animals all have a parasite load that can overcome the animals ability to keep them in check when exposed to new stressors such as being caught ,change in diet etc. deal with this by treating and quarantining the new arrival. another major issue to over-come is differing environmental conditions. if you feel confident that the environmental conditions are met for each frog within the enclosure. good. you chose a treefrog and a ground dwelling frog so they will utilize different areas of the enclosure. this is good. make sure no animals are predatory on each other. just because one animal is larger than the other doesn't mean that the larger one will eat the smaller. many times (not all) animals won't eat something that they don't recognize as a food item. this is more prevelant in wild caught animals. i suggest heavily planting so they can stay out of each others sight if they want. a water dish off the ground for treefrogs is nice. knowing your animals behaviors prior to putting them together will allow you to better see if there is a change. gd luck

i love the philippines and will be moving there permanently !
    Much appreciated kevinp!I'll keep your suggestions in mind and by the way, You are very much welcome to stay here in the Philippines....LOL...You'll never know...we could be neighbors....lol

kevinp

cool, i plan on living outside manilla and openning a tattoo shop in makati.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Small world. I received one of last tattoos while in Subic Bay.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Taylorclair

i wouldnt put them together :/

kevinp

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    you like the ilands ? they recently found 4 new species of fresh water terrestrial crabs there. palawan island..

johnny888

cool, i plan on living outside manilla and openning a tattoo shop in makati.
    That is so cool!The New generation are crazy about tats here in the Philippines and they even have competitions held annually.

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I received mine last March.= )

johnny888

you like the ilands ? they recently found 4 new species of fresh water terrestrial crabs there. palawan island..
    Yeah, and one of them is the blue crab.They recently discovered two new frog species also.

Wildlife Extra News - Two new frog species discovered in the Philippines

Thread Information