Thread: Water Proofing Background Options

ndame88

Default Water Proofing Background Options

Still trying to determine the best option for waterproofing my unsanded motar background build and some fake rock wall I plan to build to hide the egg crate next to the water area. My searching has come up with the following options:

1. All Shields Waterproof Sealer Clear for wood,masonry,roofs,metal

2. Dry-Lok Natural UGL - DRYLOK® Masonry - Clear Protectors

3. Pond Armor Pond Armor - Non Toxic Epoxy and Polyurea Pond Liners and Sealers

4. Silicon

My initial thought was to go with the Dry-Lok because it will not leave a shinny finish which is what I want, but concerned about the long term hold up especially the fake rock wall. Pond Armor is pricy but seems to be the best waterproofing option, I contacted the company they recommended taking a scouring pad to it after it dries to take away the shine.

Thoughts? Opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

J Teezy

Default Re: Water Proofing Background Options

if you definite waterproof you should use silicone in my opinion. If you already have shields all i would seal with that as well before the silicone. There are many ways to combat the shine. One is to sprinkle sand on silicone while its curing. I have done this before and it works good. I made a rock wall in my 10 gallon vert where i did this. Check my pictures in signature.

If you have never sealed with shields or silicone before the shine is really not that bad. In fact on my 29 gallon which i used shields and silicone i skipped the sand step because the "shine" the silicone gives off makes the background look like its wet sort of, and my vivs get misted pretty well and are wet alot anyway. So its more of a wet look than a shine in my opinion, plus the plants hide the majority of the background anyway so its really not that noticeable

ndame88

Thanks Josh, No I have not purchased anything yet, so if I understand you correctly, if you use silicone you dont have to seal the grout? Now for a stupid question, by adding sand to the silicone, I would think that would be rough on the frogs skin?

J Teezy

if you want to be extra safe you could seal the grout with shields > then paint > then seal with shields again (couple coats) > then silicone

I have not noticed any issues with the frogs and the sand. You don't put a lot on it you just sprinkle it to break up the shine. I used black sand (the arts and crafts type stuff, from hobby lobby).

Check this out, this is where i got my techniques from mostly Lizard care, and fake rock wall landscapes I used his waterfall build as a learning guide to grouting and sealing and such

Thread Information