Thread: Help - Need Advice!

pyratehawker

Default Help - Need Advice!

I have 2 California Toads (Bufo boreas halophilus). I collected them both from the wild last spring (2011) and had them grow up indoors. Both were doing fine until about February. The smaller of the two has stopped eating on thier own entirely since. I tried force feeding for a few weeks and have given up on that to not continue to stress it out. Now yesterday and today I have found the toad on it's back legs splayed just sitting there breathing. When I pick it up and set it right side up it will move around, but the movements are jerky adn uncoordinated. I have treated both toads the same and the other seems fine. Any ideas if there is a way to help this toad or am I just waiting for the inevitable now? Could it be something genetic? Any advice would greatly help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help - Need Advice!

What part of the country are you in?
    Have you been providing calcium and vitamin supplements with their meals?

I would suggest adding much more info to figure out what is going on. Here is a link to a list of questions which you can copy and paste to this thread and then answer to help the users help you with figuring this out. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Wormwood

Are there any red blotches or spots on the under belly of the toad or on the legs?

pyratehawker

Sorry.

I live in N. California.

Size of enclosure 20 gallon terrarium
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 2 toads
    3. Humidity 40-50%
    4. Temperature mid-70's
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - chlorine treated tap water
    6. Materials used for substrate Eco earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. Couple of artifiical plants and bark hutch
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source insects and worms
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) food dusted every other day
    10. Lighting no special lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate February
    13. Have you found poop lately not since after last feeding
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog about a year
    16. How long have you owned him/her since it was a tadpole last year
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred wild caught
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats dubi roaches, crickets, superworms
    19. How often the frog is handled once or twice daily as it is being moved to feeding hagan box and back to regualr enclosure
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area fairly low traffic
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) daily water changes, daily pick up of poop, subtrate fully changed out once every 3 months

I do not see any skin abnormalities at all. Only physical issues beyond the twitching that I have noticed is that this toad has always seemed to gulp down food with effort (perhaps a swallowing problem?) when it was eating. Currently weighs about 12g when his/her 'tank mate' weighs 22g. Tank mate is still showing a healthy appetite.

Thanks for any advice. Would like to help this little one if possible.I do not see any skin abnormalities at all. Only physical issues beyond the twitching that I have noticed is that this toad has always seemed to gulp down food with effort (perhaps a swallowing problem?) when it was eating. Currently weighs about 12g when his/her 'tank mate' weighs 22g. Tank mate is still showing a healthy appetite.

Thanks for any advice. Would like to help this little one if possible.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If she hasn't eaten since February, you really need to get something into her along with some electrolytes and vitamins.

I would give her a Pedalite Bath which will get some of the above back in her body. The mixture is 1 part original non flavored Pedalite to 10 parts water. You want to have the water room temp or only slightly higher. Allow frog to soak for 5 to 10 minutes only.

I would also start immediately force feeding her. try to use a syringe with a ground up earthworm, superworm or mealworm (heads removed) and a dash or calcium. it is usually really tough to get them to take a cricket when they are weak.

As for a reason she is so ill, it is very hard to say. Parasites, intestinal issues are pretty hard to investigate without the frog in hand and some droppings to have tested. Hopefully someone will be able to see something from the above post. If you have pics it might help too.

You can also try emailing Dr Frye and see what he may prescribe but he will need pictures of the frogs and some good info on its history.
    Here is a link to the information on Dr Frye: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...-prepared.html
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information