Thread: Advice for feeding a white's?

Kaeru79

Default Advice for feeding a white's?

I got my little guy on Saturday and put waxworms in with him. Our geckos, dragons and my tiger salamander eats them so I had them on hand. My froggie is completely uninterested in them. I got my froggie his own crickets today, I got pinheads since my frog is tiny and wasn't sure what size would be acceptable for him. OMG he sprang to life! He literally lept from a vine on the wall onto the ground and nose dived right into the coconut fiber. I don't think he even caught the cricket - but he did get a MOUTHFUL of coconut. It took him a good minute to get it out of his mouth. Should I be worried about him swallowing it? He has the moss in there as well. I know gravel is a huge no-no and that the fiber is easier to pass if swallowed, but omg he just got a mouthful and I thought I was gonna have to grab him and dig it out of there lol. Once he spit it all out, he tried to grab another cricket and had a similar problem. Is this kind of substrate usually a problem? I was thinking maybe medium crickets might be easier for him to pick off the ground? Although I saw on youtube a white's about the same size downing a full size cricket and didn't seem to have trouble with it so maybe I should just go straight to the larges? I don't want my little man to starve!
    I'm going to go up and check on him, see if the crickets are gone or not.
    Thanks!
    Emily

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

snoopfroggyfrog

Default Re: Advice for feeding a white's?

hi emily what size is he? say in centimeters? cause mine are young frogs you can see the size of mine from the picture across, and they wolf down small crickets & ive just got some medium ones and they dont have a problem with those either and they look quite big i was worried at first!....
    I dont think the coconut shouldnt be a problem if ingested, i use larger pieces of bark & moss, i cant get the coconut so easily here in the uk?.... but ive heard others on here recomend coconut substrate as it doesnt harm them if they eat it, id try a bigger cricket but just one at a time so if he cant eat it you can remove if from the tank and if his mouth is full with cricket id think less chance of space for the coconut..... i think you might be suprised these little guys are suprising me more & more each day....

Kaeru79

Thanks! He's probably about the size of the one in your picture. When I checked his little tank I couldn't find any of the crickets so I'm assuming he managed to catch them all. And there was a waxworm missing lol so yay for that!
    Emily

scribbles

I like to feed my White's by sitting them on top of their cage cover and dropping the insects in front of them. I used to use a piece of tile in the cage as a feeding area.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
    I used to use a piece of tile in the cage as a feeding area.
    Tile is a great idea thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoopfroggyfrog View Post
    hi emily what size is he? say in centimeters? cause mine are young frogs you can see the size of mine from the picture across, and they wolf down small crickets & ive just got some medium ones and they dont have a problem with those either and they look quite big i was worried at first!....
    My first White was smaller than that and was eating larger crickets (2/3 grown) with no problem. It completely suprised me when I first tried it, but a friend suggested it because I was worried about him not being able to get the small ones.

snoopfroggyfrog

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    My first White was smaller than that and was eating larger crickets (2/3 grown) with no problem. It completely suprised me when I first tried it, but a friend suggested it because I was worried about him not being able to get the small ones.

Its amazing isnt it... I took one look at the crickets and thought "they cant get them in their mouths!" how wrong was I...

Thread Information