Thread: New project

zig3y

Question New project

Hey everyone, I have not been on for about three months because of the sad fact that my whites tree frog Monty died. that moment just put me down and made my self believe that i was not able to take care of an animal. I have later concluded after I went over everything I did that I was not at the fault and I am still really confused about his death. I am looking into getting a new frog though. I want your help finding a frog that is right for me. I would like a frog that I can interact with a lot and possibly handle. I do not know if there is such thing as a tree frog that can be handled safely but if there is please let me know! second of all I would like some cool ideas for an enclosure, some pictures or some just crazy ideas you maybe have had let me know! Just to let you know I have a 12x12x18 exo-tera tank, repti-fogger and a heat pad, so I am in no shortage of supplies, I also have plenty of mosses, substrate and branches and leaves to climb on! I am also hoping to incorporate a waterfall in this project. please keep in mind also I would like to get a couple frogs in this tank. Any help would be very much appreciated, If you need a better idea of what I have look at some pictures I posted of my tank a while ago. I will keep you guys updated on what I am doing with this project with some pictures and posts. thank you for reading!

Sincerely,
    Steven (A.K.A zig3y)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New project

Hi Steven,
    Glad your back.

I do have to say that a 12x12x18 isn't much room for more that one tree frog. usually you want about ten gallons of space per frog but you also want plenty of height also.

As for a frog that can be handled there really is none. Frogs biggest enemy is stress. Handling them is very stressful to the frog and they should only be handled when being examined for injury and health conditions.

Depending on your home ambient temps, you may not need nothing more than lighting to get the right temps and have the heat pad as a backup during winter months. Your fogger is good for keeping humidity so your set there.

Here are a few links to some of my builds and hopefully you can get some ideas there.
    Here are those links:
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...pic-heavy.html

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...se-bottom.html

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...d-journal.html

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...cal-build.html

Hope this helps
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

zig3y

Hey Don,
    Thanks for replying, I have to say you have some amazing guides and yes they were very inspirational. I am starting my project hopefully in the next week and I will for sure be using some of your tips and tricks. I have to say I have never seen some one do a false bottom like that but it seems so simple and great! hope it works for me thanks a lot.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I like to use false bottoms with tanks that don't seem to have the water evaporate quickly. It make it easier to drain off either with a pump or a siphon hose. It also allows for a pump and the water collected to be used for a water feature and that water has been filtered somewhat by the soil it drained through.

Have fun with your buil and look through more of the builds in the Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion area and other members photo albums for some ideas. Just keep in mind that your landscape and design should be for what the frogs would use and not just the ascetics. :-)

zig3y

Hey don, quick question. where can I find some of that moss you show in your false bottom thread? I have some moss from zoo-med called frog moss but I am not sure if that will work, will it?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The moss in that thread is Sphagnum Moss and can be bought in a brick form just like Eco-Earth comes.
    You don't want this or most loose moss as a top layer because it is an impaction hazard. Easy for a frog to swallow and have turn to a knot in its stomach. i do like to use it as a layer below the soil to retain moisture.

Sheet moss/Tropical moss is a small moss that many use as a top cover layer. It is bought as a sheet and the whole sheet can be laid out on top of the soil. I used this but always had trouble with it living and growing. Mostly it turned brown over time and the I tossed it and replaced.

Thread Information