Thread: Vivarium build

Kristen

Default Vivarium build

A few weeks back I got an old fish tank and stand for $20.

So here's my build on it
    Today I started the background, and gee that got messy.
    I got sheets of polystyrene and used one as the backing piece,

Then I started cutting strips and stacking them on top of eachother (and siliconing them in place)

Then added a pot.

Then I added a base thing that I will put plants in.

and then my silicone gun broke. Not to happy about that, haha.
    I'll get a new silicone gun tomorrow and finish the background off

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Vivarium build

Hi Kristen! What are you planning to cover the polystyrene with and what species do you plan on keeping in here?

You're using silicone to attach the polystyrene together? I much prefer a low temp hot glue gun for sticking foam pieces together - there's no lengthy curing time before you can carry on with work on the background, pieces stick in place almost instantly, and it's less smelly.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Hi Kristen! What are you planning to cover the polystyrene with and what species do you plan on keeping in here?

You're using silicone to attach the polystyrene together? I much prefer a low temp hot glue gun for sticking foam pieces together - there's no lengthy curing time before you can carry on with work on the background, pieces stick in place almost instantly, and it's less smelly.
    Hey
    Silicone then coco fibre and a bit of moss. For now I'm thinking I might put Christinus marmoratus (southern marbled gecko) in it, but I just want to see the end result first to really make up my mind.
    Thanks! I'll definitely do that for my next build, cause the silicone was/is a hassle.

Discman503

I've seen else where that you can used spray foam. Just attach your coconut fiber or moss to it while it's still moist and able to stick to it. Love the idea of making a natural, textured background but have never actually done one though. Little intimidated by it.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Discman503 View Post
    I've seen else where that you can used spray foam. Just attach your coconut fiber or moss to it while it's still moist and able to stick to it. Love the idea of making a natural, textured background but have never actually done one though. Little intimidated by it.
    Yeah I've done that a few times before, it does get messy though, and I dont like having to spray the foam directly in the tank because you can't take it out. I thought if I did it this way I could take the background out if I don't like it or if it gets wrecked.
    Don't be! It's actually pretty easy Its a good idea to do a test one first, though

NatureLady

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Yeah I've done that a few times before, it does get messy though, and I dont like having to spray the foam directly in the tank because you can't take it out. I thought if I did it this way I could take the background out if I don't like it or if it gets wrecked.
    Don't be! It's actually pretty easy Its a good idea to do a test one first, though
    This will be how I do my next viv! The spray foam is fun and a lot of work. Just my thoughts.

Love the base for plants idea.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Miss Roddam

Ooh yay! I'm not the only one who uses polystyrene Great back ground! Though i would coat the polystyrene with something strong and gluey so that the white balls dont snap off. I used grout and if you put some pressure or put your nail on the fake rock wall i did you can leave marks and maybe take some balls off which is so annoying! But i think yours is going to be great! Good luck!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Looking great so far!

That's a really neat idea you had for the ledges! I like that . Keep up the good work Kristen!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

J Teezy

that method looks familiar =) ! Take your fingernail and rough out the straight edges each layer makes, will make it look more natural. sandpaper works to. Also for glueing together you can use Powergrab instead of silicone

Kristen

Smile Re: Vivarium build

Quote Originally Posted by NatureLady View Post
    This will be how I do my next viv! The spray foam is fun and a lot of work. Just my thoughts.

Love the base for plants idea.

Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Oh cool! and thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Roddam View Post
    Ooh yay! I'm not the only one who uses polystyrene Great back ground! Though i would coat the polystyrene with something strong and gluey so that the white balls dont snap off. I used grout and if you put some pressure or put your nail on the fake rock wall i did you can leave marks and maybe take some balls off which is so annoying! But i think yours is going to be great! Good luck!
    Thanks
    I've got alot of the balls off already, then I might put pond sealer over it instead of silicone, cause it's stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    Looking great so far!

That's a really neat idea you had for the ledges! I like that . Keep up the good work Kristen!
    Thanks Autumn!
    I got the idea from J Teezy and another site. It is a great way to do it though

Quote Originally Posted by J Teezy View Post
    that method looks familiar =) ! Take your fingernail and rough out the straight edges each layer makes, will make it look more natural. sandpaper works to. Also for glueing together you can use Powergrab instead of silicone
    Haha yeah just a bit I got the idea a while back (from this http://frogs.org.au/community/downlo...4279b3ce50442f), you just happened to remind me of it with your build (which is amazing by the way)
    Thanks! I'll get sand paper soon and do that. What's power grab?

J Teezy

power grab is by Loctite. Its an adhesive

Kristen

Okay so I went over it in silicone then cocopeat but when I was doing that the base broke off, so I'm not sure if I should still use it or not.

Ill go over the bits I missed later on. In the pot I think I'll have a climbing or hanging plant

J Teezy

tack the base on with some toothpicks for extra hold

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by J Teezy View Post
    tack the base on with some toothpicks for extra hold
    Thanks

Nano

Hey Kristen!

Looking good!!!

While I was reading your posts, I was thinking about my experience as I used both silicone and pond sealer in different backgrounds. In my experience the sealer was much better, even in the waterfall that has water running all the time through the background, the coco peat is still there, stuck like a rock!

I love the look of the coco peat covering the background! It makes it look very natural! If you can keep it moist, moss looks great on it too!

Looking forward to see it in the tank!

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Nano View Post
    Hey Kristen!

Looking good!!!

While I was reading your posts, I was thinking about my experience as I used both silicone and pond sealer in different backgrounds. In my experience the sealer was much better, even in the waterfall that has water running all the time through the background, the coco peat is still there, stuck like a rock!

I love the look of the coco peat covering the background! It makes it look very natural! If you can keep it moist, moss looks great on it too!

Looking forward to see it in the tank!
    Thanks
    I used pond sealer on the last background I built and it is much easier, its not as thick as the silicone
    Thanks, thats what I'm planning on doing. I just hope I can keep it moist enough without the humidity getting to high.

Kristen

Okay so today I put the background in the tank!
    then I put the dirt in and a nice bit of wood for a hide. I decided to not keep the base cause my cat sat on it and it broke (haha).
    Iv'e put moss all over the ground so hopefully it will grow over the background and the wood. I also put some mondo grass in there I've left some space moss free for the water dish and some other plants. I want the moss to really take over though so i think I'll leave it for a couple of months or so before i put an animal in there

19. This member thanks Kristen for this post:

dsaundry

Looks good. Keep the pics coming when you put the critter{s} in it.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
    Looks good. Keep the pics coming when you put the critter{s} in it.
    Thanks
    I just need to get some plants then I'll post some pictures
    at the moment I'm just waiting for the moss to grow a bit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow that is looking so nice. Love the moss.

Can't wait to see more pics :-)
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information