Thread: Calcium and Vitamin Supplements

HerpDerp

Default Calcium and Vitamin Supplements

I've been looking into different calcium and vitamin supplements and I'm sort of lost. There are so many brands and so many different ingredients. So my question is with calcium I see some that have D3 and some that don't and some with phosphorus and some without. What is best? And as for the multivitamins, what exactly am I looking for for vitamins? I found a supplement that contains calcium and the multivitamin in one. Any experience/thoughts on it? Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vitamins at PETCO

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Calcium and Vitamin Supplements

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    I've been looking into different calcium and vitamin supplements and I'm sort of lost. There are so many brands and so many different ingredients. So my question is with calcium I see some that have D3 and some that don't and some with phosphorus and some without. What is best? And as for the multivitamins, what exactly am I looking for for vitamins? I found a supplement that contains calcium and the multivitamin in one. Any experience/thoughts on it? Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vitamins at PETCO

Thanks
    Flukers makes a good Calcium powder with Vitamin D3. They need D3 to properly metabolize the calcium into their bones. Rapashy makes some good multivitamins. Rep-Cal Herptivite is a very good Multivitamin as well that contains Beta Carotene that is used as a form of Vitamin A to keep from causing Vitamin A toxicity which can easily occur with a pure form of Vitamin A. Most are good. The choice is yours ultimately.

Hope this helps some.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm using repashy calcium plus. It has calcium an multivitamin all per mixed together. It doesn't use beta carotene as vitamin A, as the calcium would destroy the small beta carotene beads. Not sure what repashy uses instead, but it's not direct vitamin A as that will cause a toxicity.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eoa13q

HerpDerp

I decided to try out the stuff that I linked. The source of vitamin A in it is fish oil. I'm assuming that is a good source? It says to use every other feeding. Does that sound about right? I'm currently feeding Hypnotoad every day so I want to make sure giving it to him every other day isn't too much.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    I decided to try out the stuff that I linked. The source of vitamin A in it is fish oil. I'm assuming that is a good source? It says to use every other feeding. Does that sound about right? I'm currently feeding Hypnotoad every day so I want to make sure giving it to him every other day isn't too much.
    Multivitamins should always be oncea week. You do not want to cause vitamin toxicity.

AReaHerps

I am normally a late sleeper so I offer a small meal every night to my retf. I have been dusting items every other night with multivitamins only on 1-2 nights. I feed the crickets and roaches high calcium and high natural vitamin greens like dandelions,kale,etc and also other great items. I have always believed in gut loading as the best way to offer what your animal needs. I have a tough time with the insects keeping the dust on them through the night.

Sent from my Android Tapatalk App!

Thread Information