Thread: Non opening eye

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Non opening eye

Name:  BILD0045.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  117.9 KB

I have aquired the African Bullfrog that I hope is in this picture. It is around 3 years old and has never had an opening eye on its right side (the person I got it from had had it from a very small froglet). It eats fine and is perfectly healthy, so I am not concerned but was wondering if anyone has come across this before. There is clearly an eye like structure under the skin that moves perfectly normaly when it swallows.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Non opening eye

That's a nice big male you have there Mark. It's possible something was damaged when it was a young froglet or it might have had a developmental issue with the eye. I actually have a froglet right now with a strange eye issue too but again, it's a physical problem, not something you can really do anything about, nor something to be concerned about.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Mark, He is a big beautiful boy. Ive only come across a frog with an eye problem once. It actually had only one eye and the space where the other eye should have been was just the beautiful skin. It looked odd as there was no raised bump where the eye should have been. I wanted to buy it but I knew the store had a problem with red leg a while back and didn't want to risk it. It was managing just fine. Even though your frog has two eyes but has trouble opening one of them, this maybe just something that your frog might just have to live with. He's gorgeous and the eye thing makes him unique in my opinion. If you wanted to pursue it further you could see what you vet thinks.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I was betting on a developmental problem because the skin over the eye shows the markings of an eyelid but there is no sign of any opening, like I said he can catch food as well if not better than my other bullfrog. I just wondered if anyone had come across this before because I am thinking about having a go at breeding these, this will obviously be quite an undertaking and I was considering getting another male if it was a known problem.

Thread Information