Thread: WTF 18x18x24 Build

NatureLady

Default WTF 18x18x24 Build

So I have been stalking through the threads of all of your builds and I have learned too much.

Here is my new viv for my baby PIMBY, who is awaiting me to be finished so he can upgrade from his 7 gallon holding tank.

I decided to go for a flat background and opt out of the GS Foam/silicone/coco fiber background.
    I used a Gorilla Glue/Coco Fiber and I will have to spot fix it with a silicone/coco fiber because I didn't get a big enough bottle of GG to fill.

Name:  IMG_2410.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  156.0 KB

You can see the rocks that will make my pond area that I have siliconed in place.

Name:  IMG_2411.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  113.4 KBName:  IMG_2412.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  115.0 KB

This is where my GG ran out! You can see spots...booooo!

Name:  IMG_2450.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  89.8 KBName:  IMG_2455.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  112.8 KB

Test run on the water fall/pond area and possible plant placements.

Name:  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  115.5 KBName:  IMG_2468.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  150.8 KB

I have decided that the pothos that I had planned for the wall planter is not big enough and I am currently hunting a better plant. I also am looking out for a creeping fig that isn't about to die (which is all they had at my local store) to plant in front of the wall. Oh and some better pieces of grape vine, the ones I picked where too brittle to bend like I wanted.

This whole process is testing me. I am very use to doing a viv build for a native phib using the native things that they live in/around. Building one for my exotic CB baby, I may be going a bit over board and being slightly OCD about placement, plantings, water, rocks, OMgosh...stop me! I may never finish this build. Comments are welcome, suggestions are awesome, no I don't want to GS it...lol...I didn't really want to do anything to the glass, but the viv will be against a wall and will just simply need a background.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

J Teezy

Default Re: WTF 18x18x24 Build

pothos will grow and eventually take over the tank just keep it pruined when it gets big

NatureLady

Do you have a different plant that would provide large left cover?

Quote Originally Posted by NatureLady View Post
    I have decided that the pothos that I had planned for the wall planter is not big enough and I am currently hunting a better plant.
    Leaves not big enough or overall plant size not big enough? I've found that pothos that's allowed to grow as nature intended, namely climbing vertically up other structures, get much larger leaves than those forced to hang. As Josh mentioned, the overall plant will also go nuts over time but it can handle the pruning necessary to keep it tidy enough for your OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureLady View Post
    Oh and some better pieces of grape vine, the ones I picked where too brittle to bend like I wanted.
    Did you try soaking them for a day or so before bending?

NatureLady

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Leaves not big enough or overall plant size not big enough? I've found that pothos that's allowed to grow as nature intended, namely climbing vertically up other structures, get much larger leaves than those forced to hang. As Josh mentioned, the overall plant will also go nuts over time but it can handle the pruning necessary to keep it tidy enough for your OCD.
    The plants that I had picked where just small, only 2-3 leaves per plant. I wanted a long peice that would provide shelter now. I repotted my large pothos and took one of the long peices and added it to the plant I had purchased for the planter. The new one is almost all white and the old one is just your basic pothos. They look nice mixed together.

*And for the record I am not really OCD just a little bit too picky...so much so that I hesitated to post these pictures of my viv in progress. I find that I am not liking it and want to start over before I have even finished it.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Did you try soaking them for a day or so before bending?
    No, I didn't and I didn't even think about it. They broke with just a bit of pressure so they wouldn't have bend for soaking either. I am leaving my desk to go for a hike and find some.

Has anyone tried to plant grape vine into a viv? I think I am going to look for a young plant to try it with and some old vine to bend in place for now.

Thread Information