Thread: Coco fiber substrate substitute? leaf litter?

rcollege

Default Coco fiber substrate substitute? leaf litter?

Hello all,

has anyone used leaf litter in their tree frog tanks?
    I have been using New Zealand Long Fiber moss and one time I had to pull a glob out of my American green tree frog's mouth- he couldn't pull it out himself...or I got impatient.. The cricket grabbed hold of the moss while my frog kamakazee dived to get it. When I pulled on the glob...it picked up the whole frog...poor guy. I was assured that this moss is safe...and one point was told that tree frogs don't eat off the ground...riiigght. I'm almost thinking that the long fiber green sphagnum moss is safer...longer thinner strands that matt down...but I'm not willing to chance it.
    Anyway, I don't like ecco earth or soil as it gets all over them. So I was thinking of laying down leaf litter on top of the ecco earth to keep things cleaner...and better looking. Some smaller leaves that lay flat...but larger than the frogs can ingest.
    Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: Coco fiber substrate substitute? leaf litter?

Is the New Zealand moss like Frog Moss (carpet moss)? If not you can try that. Its a large somewhat solid piece that you can put over the eco earth. 2-3 packages should cover the whole bottom of the tank. But many people use leaf litter and have found it to be perfectly fine for them.

I personally use just coco fiber but your right. She is awfully dirty all the time. I had a problem with mold when I got the frog moss but I dont think I had gotten a good brand. I'd suggest Zoo mead if you try it. Its a higher quality brand. A bit more expensive but worth it for the quality.

rcollege

Thank you for your reply.

I'll have to look into the carpet moss....They're in a 55g tank...so I'm not sure how much will be needed. Maybe I'll look into some live moss...then again the frogs may trample on it when they are feeding...plus cleaning...I learned a lot from the frog forums...but definitely different from the tree frogs in terms of messiness

InfinitysDaughter

Carpet moss is a live moss that if its kept at just the right moisture level (not too much not too little) it'll grow and spread fairly quickly and its hardy so it'll put up to being trampled.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

In my RETF enclosure I am using Coco fiber and leaf litter. I like it so far, it is doing a great job keeping the moisture in the soil and helping my plants to go crazy. I have had it set up for about 3 months and I like it better then having to worry about the possability of impaction! Hope that helps you out.

rcollege

InfinitysDaughter- How much light is needed for the carpet moss?

Will- do the crickets hide really well in the litter...they hide like crazy in the moss I have now...If I were a cricket...id hide too- I'd love my tank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have not really had issues with that. I usually find the crickets at the top of my background more then anything.

NatureLady

I have coco fiber and leaf litter in my tank and I LOVE IT! As for the cricket's, I feed from a bowl.

rcollege

Thanks for the reply Amanda...good to know something like this works. Now I just have to find out where to buy some leaf litter.

I was at the Hydroponics store looking for organic soil without steer/ chicken manure or bat guano. I found a soiless substrate called CocoNot. It is not coconut fiber, and it doesn't stick to you like coconut fiber. Light, fine and airy. It is redwood bark finely ground with a nut bark... So now I need to research the heck out of it to see if it is safe. I know redwood isn't safe...but not sure about the bark...I have worked with redwood during woodworking and gorilla fur (shredded redwood bark) during landscaping usually with odor. No odor was present in this freshly opened CocoNot...but the nose does not always know. I'll keep it posted for any that are interested.

Thread Information