Thread: I am back

Default I am back

So I have been off the forum for a while, I am not quite sure why. Anyways, I have been doing great with my leopard gecko and pacman frog. Now that I know the frog is male, he is Gerald, and the gecko is Nero. I am a little concerned about something for Gerald. I think he is stunted. Currently being housed in a 10 gal aquarium with cocoa fiber substrate, 80% humidity, 80-76 degree temperature, fed with crickets dusted 2 times a week, nightcrawlers, and misted twice daily. I believe he was stressed out with his baby sitter while I was gone for vacation for two weeks. The person caring for my frog said he didn't want to eat, with that being said, he went two weeks with no food. Could this have stunted him? I'm not too worried, he is healthy now and is showing more signs of activity than before. I will post a video here soon

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: I am back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Uh...e_gdata_player

Note that the lighting used for the pacman frog is usually on the lizard's enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cover the sides and back of your tank. That will stress the frog out.

How old is he? It could cause him to be stunted, but the stress would need to be major. Also some of these frogs arent to keen on new people and won't eat for anyone, but their keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Cover the sides and back of your tank. That will stress the frog out.

How old is he? It could cause him to be stunted, but the stress would need to be major. Also some of these frogs arent to keen on new people and won't eat for anyone, but their keeper.
    I usually do have a cover around the sides but I took it out because I had just moved the set up to a different location, I do believe this frog is almost one year. But I don't remember when I got him xD.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    I usually do have a cover around the sides but I took it out because I had just moved the set up to a different location, I do believe this frog is almost one year. But I don't remember when I got him xD.

Probably just a slow grower. Some grow slow and steady and others reach adult size in about 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Probably just a slow grower. Some grow slow and steady and others reach adult size in about 3 months.
    Oh ok, thanks for the information. I haven't measured him yet but he looks like two inches at the moment and I got him in the summer of 2013 at around one inch

Tongue Flicker

Hi welcome back!

Nationality
    [United States]

Since it sounds like he's getting plenty of food normally I doubt two weeks without is going to hurt anything in the long run, especially if he's acting and eating normally now. It's good to give them food as regularly as possible in captivity, but they're designed to be able to survive pretty extensive periods of going without in the wild.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Since it sounds like he's getting plenty of food normally I doubt two weeks without is going to hurt anything in the long run, especially if he's acting and eating normally now. It's good to give them food as regularly as possible in captivity, but they're designed to be able to survive pretty extensive periods of going without in the wild.
    My thoughts exactly. Metabolism is very slow for the Pacman Frog. Some creatures, like the shrew, have very fast metabolisms, and must constantly spend all their time eating, or they'll simply die. Other, like ceratophyrs froggies, have a sit and wait, ambush approach to feeding. They must remain still and silent until some unsuspecting bug gets too close and becomes dinner.

If he was well fed prior to the two weeks, and seems fine now, he's probably ok. I'm glad you have been taking such good care of the frog. I remember you weren't too thrilled with his laziness when he was new. I hope Gerald has shown you by now that Pacman frogs are really cool pets! Good luck buddy! Also, I think Gerald is a good name for a Pac.
    Last edited by WorldClassFrogCoddler; February 24th, 2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Just Blabbin'

11. This member thanks WorldClassFrogCoddler for this post:

Thread Information