Thread: Chytrid Fungus-the fungus that kills....I think

MeMyselfandI

Default Chytrid Fungus-the fungus that kills....I think

Hey guys, well I was hoping some of you could give me some info on the chytrid fungus...I think. Well from what I heard, pacman frogs (not sure if others get infected too) can be perfectly healthy and all of a sudden the frog just passes away. I'm pretty sure there's a treatment but I don't know how to treat it. So I really need to know and thanks in ahead.(sorry for any grammar errors)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Chytrid Fungus-the fungus that kills....I think

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI View Post
    Hey guys, well I was hoping some of you could give me some info on the chytrid fungus...I think. Well from what I heard, pacman frogs (not sure if others get infected too) can be perfectly healthy and all of a sudden the frog just passes away. I'm pretty sure there's a treatment but I don't know how to treat it. So I really need to know and thanks in ahead.(sorry for any grammar errors)
    Chytrid is hard to diagnose without haveing the frogs skin tested for it. There are many symptoms like constant shedding/dry really bad flakey sheds with dark discolored skin/loss of appetite/sores and lesions/lathargy/listlessness, but some of these same symptoms also show in other diseases.

What is causing you to believe that your Pacman has chytrid?

PS) I am no expert and do not have hands on experiance with Chytrid fungus, but I know the treatment.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Post the treatment for those that dont know Grif

Nationality
    [United States]

The treatment for Chytrid Fungus can be used to treat infection or for those frogs who carry it and are not affected, but can still spread the disease/infection.

The treatment is 10 pumps of Lamisil AT Spray(not cream) to 200 ml of teped(luke warm) de-chlorinated water. This creates the correct ratio of parts Lamisil to water.

Your frog must soak in the water for 5 minutes and you must pour the solution over the frog to be sure that the solution completely covers the frogs skin. This does not mean submerge the frog. It means to take a. Small cup or spoon and pour the solution over the frogs head and back. The water height should be no deeper than below the frogs throat so the frog does not drown. You must perform this soak 5 minutes per day for 10 days.

Rinse the frog off after the five minute soaking period is complete with same temp clean de-chlorinated water. Be sure to pour it over the frog just like you did with the Lamisil solution.

During the treatment your frog should be kept in a hospital tank with only moist paper towels as substrate and a bowl of water to soak in. You can place some sort of hide for the frog to seek shelter and security as well. Paper towels and hospital tank must be cleaned after each treatment. That means all furniture and water source along with the hospital tank. I recomend that you do this while the frog is soaking in the rinse water. After all is cleaned and moist paper towels are replaced into the hospital tank along with clean fresh water source and hide and the frog has been thouroughly rinsed, replace the frog into the hospital tank.

Note. The hospital tank should be kept warm. Keep it at 80 to 82 degrees and do not allow it to drop below 80 at night. Humidity should remain high at 80%.

I hope this helps.

6. 3 members thank GrifTheGreat for this post:

MeMyselfandI

ok thanks guys, and will this treatment harm the frog if the frog is not infected with the fungus?

johnny888

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The treatment for Chytrid Fungus can be used to treat infection or for those frogs who carry it and are not affected, but can still spread the disease/infection.

The treatment is 10 pumps of Lamisil AT Spray(not cream) to 200 ml of teped(luke warm) de-chlorinated water. This creates the correct ratio of parts Lamisil to water.

Your frog must soak in the water for 5 minutes and you must pour the solution over the frog to be sure that the solution completely covers the frogs skin. This does not mean submerge the frog. It means to take a. Small cup or spoon and pour the solution over the frogs head and back. The water height should be no deeper than below the frogs throat so the frog does not drown. You must perform this soak 5 minutes per day for 10 days.

Rinse the frog off after the five minute soaking period is complete with same temp clean de-chlorinated water. Be sure to pour it over the frog just like you did with the Lamisil solution.

During the treatment your frog should be kept in a hospital tank with only moist paper towels as substrate and a bowl of water to soak in. You can place some sort of hide for the frog to seek shelter and security as well. Paper towels and hospital tank must be cleaned after each treatment. That means all furniture and water source along with the hospital tank. I recomend that you do this while the frog is soaking in the rinse water. After all is cleaned and moist paper towels are replaced into the hospital tank along with clean fresh water source and hide and the frog has been thouroughly rinsed, replace the frog into the hospital tank.

Note. The hospital tank should be kept warm. Keep it at 80 to 82 degrees and do not allow it to drop below 80 at night. Humidity should remain high at 80%.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you Grif for educating us. = )

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI View Post
    ok thanks guys, and will this treatment harm the frog if the frog is not infected with the fungus?
    I would think that any chemical treatment does some harm, but if the benifits outway the risks then it is best to use the treatment. This is a diluted solution that should do no real physical harm, but just incase it is a good idea to rinse the frog off with clean luke warm de-chlorinated water.

The real problem with the treatment is stress. This is very stressful on the frog as most treatments and administering meds are. A lot of people treat their frogs in advance to prevent infection from occuring just incase the frog may have it. I believe a lot of breeders do this to insure their stock is healthy and that the disease never has a chance of infecting their frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by johnny888 View Post
    Thank you Grif for educating us. = )
    You're welcome.

IvoryReptiles

Unfortunately, it is almost a guarantee that any frog you purchase has been exposed to the fungus. Either due to direct exposure from the wild, or because of the lack of strict quarantine measures taken by prior owners of the frog. It exists in the wild and is almost impossible to avoid. We have treated ours frogs as well as the froglets as they emerge and have eaten. We do it as a precaustion and to try to help stop the chytrid fungus in it's tracks in the pets industry. Just know that if you feed wild frogs and some wild insects to your amphibians, you are taking the chance of exposing them to it.

Thread Information