Thread: Pond frogs

pasue

Default Pond frogs

While cleaning out my koi pond I found frgos in the skimmer. Probably because the skimmer is black and it is likely warmer in there. They are nasty muddy looking buggers. Last spring I found only dead frogs in the pond and don't want these guys dead. I will be taking the pump out so the skimmer will likely freeze - I am in northwestern PA. I just started a greenhouse that is about 60 degrees. So I move the frogs there, what do I feed them? Leave them in the pond. or do something else.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pond frogs

First of all how big are they, we need to figure out what they are.

pasue

they are about as big as my fist. they are yukky brown colored and kinda fat and squishy looking. I think they are the same ones that were green with spots over the summer I

Kurt

My guess is that they are bullfrogs. They will eat anything that is small enought to fit in their mouths and that is moving. Crickets are the most likely canidate. You can also feed them mealworms, superworms, and earthworms.

im saying greenfrogs or leopard frogs because she said spots
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

pasue

Can these guys be encouraged to hibernate if I provide them space in my extra fridge? I really dont want to have to feed them live food all winter long. Is it best to let them hibernate and was it a good idea to remove them from the pond. Should I have just rehomed them in the swampy creek just a few yards away? They do have spots and in just a couple of days inside they are getting slimer and greener - whats that all about? As you can tell I dont have any frog knowledge. Thanks

Kurt

Can you take pics? Sorry I can't help with the hibernation business, as I have never hiberanted any frog before. I do hibernate an eastern milk snake I have every year. When fall rolls around he stops eating and I have put him a cool spot to prevent him from wasting away. So down to the garage he goes. I provide him with a thick bedding and a bowl of water. From time to time I check in on him. When the garage gets to cold, I move him into the cellar.

Thread Information