Thread: Mold problem in my viv?

InfinitysDaughter

Default Mold problem in my viv?

I have a 12x12x18 viv and recently I've discovered mold on the pieces of wood (even the treated stuff from the store). It only started after I got this frog moss (a brand I'd never heard of and will not use again) so I got rid of the moss and soaked the wood in very hot water then microwaved it. But still the mold keeps coming back. D: I dumped the substraight and washed the tank with declorinated water (the only thing I ever use on my tanks) about a week or so ago and again soaked and heated the wood and again I'm seeing the mold.

So I finally got a chance to ask my frog expert and she said to wash the tank with plain bleach and then rinse it very VERY well so I'm going to try that. I am open to any other suggestions, though. I'm just leery of bleach and how harsh it is and if I dont get all of it out....

My question is, though, what about the wood? Are the spores ingrained in the logs like mum and I think? I'd hate to loose the logs I have because Azy loves how they are shaped and I cant find anything similar (all the drift wood at petsmart is different, no two pieces alike). Is there anything that I can use on the wood that could kill the spores but wouldn't make the wood unsafe for my whites?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

J Teezy

Default Re: Mold problem in my viv?

you're always going to have mold in a vivarium. Humid, warm enclosures = mold love. Some mold is fine and usually disappears after a bit. New tanks especially will go through an initial molding taht will eventually go away or fade. A way to combat mold is with springtails that eat it.

I doubt you'll find someone with a viv that is mold free. Like i said, moist, humid, warm area of course you're most likely going get a little mold here and there

InfinitysDaughter

Really? I've just never had a problem before. But then everything I've used before has been completely fake (I had much smaller frogs before so the small fake plants I have access to were just fine but Azy is a whites and about 3 times bigger then my green or gray @.@ ), this is the first time with real plants and wood and stuff.

The mold is green and blue and white. Some is flaky and dusty while other parts are furry. Its really safe for Azy? I would hate for her to get sick. (I had to return my baby pac cuse he kept getting sick)

J Teezy

it's just the wood that is getting the mold?

InfinitysDaughter

Yup. The plants, waterbowl, and even substraight are mold free.

J Teezy

if its thats bad i'd just loose the wood then. What i do with driftwood that i use is i'll soak it in a bleach water solution for about 24 hours. Then rinse it well, i'll rinse rinse rinse, then let it sit in a bucket of water for a day or two. The piece i have in my 10 gallon stays pretty wet and it gets a tiny tiny bit of white mold but springtails eat it up

InfinitysDaughter

Well its not really bad. I just thought any mold was bad. Its only on one end of one and in small patches on the other. I wish I could get springtails in my area but I've never seen them. I clean the decor in hot water every week or two so I guess if its not a major problem then I'll just keep doing that. I'll keep an eye on it, though, and if it gets worse or Azy seems to be getting into it (at the moments its not growing where she likes to sit) I'll toss the wood.

Thanks for the help. ^w^

AReaHerps

Quote Originally Posted by J Teezy View Post
    if its thats bad i'd just loose the wood then. What i do with driftwood that i use is i'll soak it in a bleach water solution for about 24 hours. Then rinse it well, i'll rinse rinse rinse, then let it sit in a bucket of water for a day or two. The piece i have in my 10 gallon stays pretty wet and it gets a tiny tiny bit of white mold but springtails eat it up
    I'm sure there is a topic on specific bleach/water ratios but I'm curious if you could share what works for you. I want to try your method with my countless pieces of grapewood that no matter what I do, I get mold! Thanks

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Shibumi

I've read that the mold will go away after the wood gets saturated with water.

Thread Information