Thread: Dubia Colony

BadKat

Question Dubia Colony

I was browsing a local classified site today and someone is offering their dubia colony for sale. They have 2000+ of various size and 150 mature females. Does anyone have any idea what a decent offer might be for something like this might be? Also, what kind of equipment would be needed? Lastly, would I be totally nuts to even consider buying this great vermin colony to feed three toads a treefrog and possibly some chickens?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dubia Colony

Definitely NOT nuts for considering picking up a colony. I have a little colony of my own. I started out with 100 nymphs and then later on bought like 10 males and 25 females to get my colony going quicker. I definitely have PLENTY of roaches to feed all my frogs. I'm not sure, though what would be a good offer. I see various groups go for various prices. However I bought my 10.25 group for $22 shipped.

As far as equipment goes - just a large sterilite or rubbermaid bin would be fine to house them in (be sure to sauter or drill holes in the sides of the tubs for ventilation), eggcrate, water gel (if you choose to use it), oranges (they seem to spark them into a breeding frenzy), and a UTH are all you basically need.

4. This member thanks toxxxickitten for this post:

BadKat

I think a colony that large would be too many for my use, and I don't really have any interest "getting rich" selling the little buggers. I'm waiting for a picture of the set up. Maybe if I can get it for a good deal, I'll see if anyone around here is interested in splitting it up. Dunno, could be a good deal but overkill for me.

J Teezy

make them an insane offer and see what happens. The way i deal with craigslist stuff is i just determine what's the most i'd pay for it then i offer less than that and the negotiating goes from there

BadKat

The colony comes with a 55 gal, 35 gal and a few smaller sterilite tubs. Heat source too. Now I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'd have to start serving roaches for our dinner if I bought that. I don't know if I'd even want to take on that responsibility. Not to mention the underlying creep factor of having thousands of creepy crawlies in tubs.
    Although it would be a great threat when the kids are misbehaving. "Clean your room or you're sleeping with the cockroaches!"

Sorry...rambling.

So what is an insane offer J?

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, if you do wind up getting some - I'd be interested in taking a few hundred off your hands. I can never have too many. :3

J Teezy

i don't know, i've never really looked into roaches so i don't know how to even think about a price but for 2000+ roaches and all the equipment, hell i have no idea. Ask him what he wants for them and then low ball him. You ever watch pawn stars or any American Pickers, you just work them like that. Basically determine how much you are will to pay, offer less than that and then work up till you hit your set amount and see if you catch a deal. Some people will wheel and deal others won't budge.

BadKat

After some thought and price research I decided to start my own colony from scratch. I bought 75 mixed adults at a local store for 24.00. It will be a bit before I can feed solely from that but they sell small nymphs 15.00 for 200 so I'll deal with it.

The guy selling the colony is supposed to let me know if he decides to break up the lot and sell smaller colonies so I'll direct him to advertise here or convey the info along when I get it.

Thanks for the advice Kitten and J. If anyone wants the info let me know and I'll pass it along.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you know if he'll ship roaches? If so, I'd appreciate the info.

BadKat

He said that if he doesn't get any interest locally he will put the colony on ebay. He'll be sending me the info if that happens so I'll keep you posted.

Thread Information