Thread: whites tree frog setup

Default whites tree frog setup

I am looking at getting a whites tree frog and I have done a lot of research and was considering getting the exo terra cameroon set up of the sri lanka set up. any reccomendations on getting and i want to so what would be a adequate size of a cage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

tankogradets

Default Re: whites tree frog setup

I have a 10 gal (I think) stand up terrarium. It is an Exo-Terra. I have a branch inside that my frog (La Frog) can climb on. I have used plantation soil (brick) combined with Zoo-Med Frog Moss for humidity. It is probably about 2 inches deep. I have two vines hanging from the walls on the opposite sides to give La Frog a couple of places to hide, and a 'plant' on the bottom. Of course - a nice bath for soaking.
    I am using a day light bulb during the day (for light, heat), and I replace it with a night light at night. La Frog is a nocturnal critter, so the night light allows me to observe him hunt/soak in the night.

See the picture below.

I think (and most certainly hope so ) La Frog likes it. At night time, right after I replace the light bulbs, I put two crickets (dusted with Calcium) straight into the tank so he has something to hunt for during his active time (night).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Name:  Frog Moss.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  107.1 KBName:  Updated Terrarium.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  90.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would go with a 18"x18"x18" at the smallest but I would recommend an 18"x18"x24" to get the extra height. They are tree frogs and the higher the tank the better. Plus the 18"x18"x24" is big enough to add another Whites if you decide to down the road, it will also keep you from having to upgrade your tank later when he is full grown (they get pretty big).

yeah im pretty sure im just going to get a exo terra kit and set it up and buy any other things it might need and make sure i get all the bugs out of it and then get the frogs. also i was thinking about getting a waterfall from exo terra and the fogger they make that goes in the waterfall. my local pet store has the mayan exo terra for 125 im pretty sure thats good deal or is it?

Nationality
    [United States]

I am actually a big fan of the ZooMed ReptiFogger. It is an external fogger and when hooked up to a timer it works wonderful for maintaining the humidity throughout the day. Mine goes off for 5 minutes every hour.

When I was ready for a fogger I was looking at the Exo Terra one but nobody in town had one so I started looking it up online and found that a lot of people were saying that they tend to go out pretty quick. Not sure if anyone that has used the Exo Terra Fogger could add insight on it, that was just what I read.

You have the right idea Matt, it is best to get your enclosure set up the way you want it and let it run for a bit while maintaining the proper heat and humidity before adding frogs. The frogs have enough stress when being added to a new enclosure, its even rougher on them when adding them to an enclosure with fluctuating temp/humidity!

What size is the Exo Terra for $125?

18x18x24 so its deffinetly big enough and its on sale and its the only one so i really want to go get it but i dont want to rush into to anything

also how many crickets do you think it will eat and also how often should i feed it

S13

My new baby whites is a machine. He would probably eat my whole supply of crickets in one shot if I allowed him to lol. I was feeding him 2 per night, but I cut it down to two every other night. Don't want him getting all obese.

haha nice yeah do you know about how much an adult would eat

S13

Not sure, but I feed my RETF 3 mediums every other night and he devours them all.

yeah i guess i will have to just expirement now the only obstacle in the way is convincing my mom to let me get one

Nationality
    [United States]

My Whites are almost fully grown and they get fed 3 crickets every other day. I plan to have them down to 2 crickets every other day when they have reached full maturity. Mine are a little chubby but not obese by any means.

are they medium sized?

Nationality
    [United States]

I am using Medium crickets. My girls are big enough to eat the large but my newer male just seems a little small ATM to eat the larges. When he gets a little bigger I may switch over to the larges but as of now I am gonna stick with the Medium Crickets. I like using the mediums and may stick with them cause if they are a little small I may have to feed more but there is less of a worry about impaction.

InfinitysDaughter

My Whites has been getting an average of about 6 large crickets a night. It seems like a lot but while shes gotten larger in size she dosn't look obese to me. She just looks larger over all but her ratio's (width to length) have stayed about the same. She is extremely active at night (by how dirty the walls of her tank and the leaves of her new plant are) so I'd assume thats why she hasn't gained a lot of actual weight. I'd say its more trial and error. Start with 3 (if using large) and go up or down depending on his/her activity level.

how many whites do you have?

Thread Information