Thread: Tree frog has been sleeping for 3 days now?!

Froggiefressh

Default Tree frog has been sleeping for 3 days now?!

Whelp I have a tiger-legged tree frog and have kept him for almost a month now. My girlfriend and I bought him as a baby, He has grown a lot I think he was about a half inch when we got him and is now at a inch 1/2. The little guy usually sleeps for a whole night then comes out the next night sleep for another night comes out the next etc, But right now He seems to have been sleeping for 3 days. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or concerns?!

Thanks,
    Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shorte85

Default Re: Tree frog has been sleeping for 3 days now?!

I have a RETF (Mr. Red) and he sometimes does that if he gets a couple extra crickets by accident. If he ate really good the night he was awake that could be it and he's just sleeping it off. Have you tried misting him with some water to see if he'll wake up? I do that from time to time just to check on him and what not.

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by Shorte85 View Post
    I have a RETF (Mr. Red) and he sometimes does that if he gets a couple extra crickets by accident. If he ate really good the night he was awake that could be it and he's just sleeping it off. Have you tried misting him with some water to see if he'll wake up? I do that from time to time just to check on him and what not.
    I read in an article that his tanks humidity should drop from 60% to 30% from April to August. I did mist him before I shut off the lights today and I added in a red bulb for night time viewing. He is actually awake right now, but not moving he did for a second and stopped. He kept opening up his mouth though. I'm not sure what to think at the moment any ideas?

Shorte85

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    I read in an article that his tanks humidity should drop from 60% to 30% from April to August. I did mist him before I shut off the lights today and I added in a red bulb for night time viewing. He is actually awake right now, but not moving he did for a second and stopped. He kept opening up his mouth though. I'm not sure what to think at the moment any ideas?
    The red bulb could be something he doesn't like. Mine doesn't like any lights on at night and I even tried a moonlight bulb which is made for nocternal frogs and etc. So try turning the bulb off completely to see if that helps. The opening and closing his mouth if I remember right means he's shedding which my frog does as well. Shouldn't be anything alarming.

How long have you been using the red bulb at night?

Shorte85

I read in an article that his tanks humidity should drop from 60% to 30% from April to August.
    Also, I'm unsure about the changing humidity levels for those months. I just try to keep the same humidity levels at all times because he seems happy with it. I have my lights on a timer so they turn on at the same time everyday and turn off at the same time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Whelp I have a tiger-legged tree frog and have kept him for almost a month now. My girlfriend and I bought him as a baby, He has grown a lot I think he was about a half inch when we got him and is now at a inch 1/2. The little guy usually sleeps for a whole night then comes out the next night sleep for another night comes out the next etc, But right now He seems to have been sleeping for 3 days. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or concerns?!

Thanks,
    Greg
    Hi Greg,
    I have red eyed tree frogs and do not know the specific parameters ( heat and humidity, etc ) for tiger legs, although similar. Many FF member will know , though !!!!!!
    BUT, similar is not good enough, as you will want it just right!

FYI: I have a red eyed tree frog that gets up every single night. He goes back to the VERY exact ( and I mean exact) spot every morning.
    I found this so interesting, I actually traced the outline of his body on the outside of the viv glass with a marker. It truly amazing ! To look at him day after day in the same spot ; I would assume he never moved if I had not witnessed him do so. So, it could be possible he IS getting up ?

It is great that you are seeking advise. There actually may be nothing wrong, or conversely, a change in behavior warrants keeping a close eye on him.

It will be very helpful if you could post the following information:
    Size of enclosure
    # on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another tiger --- how big is it ?)
    humidity
    temp
    water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    materials used for substrate
    enclosure set up ie plants, live or artificial -if live how were they prepared prior to being put into the viv
    main food source
    vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    lighting
    what is specifically being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    when is the last time he ate and have you found poop lately
    a pic would be great- any little cell phone pic is fine

Hope this helps
    Lynn

some resources ( I'm sure you may have seen)
    Tiger Leg Monkey Tree Frogs
    Tiger Leg Tree Frog Phyllomedusa Tomopterna
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Froggiefressh

Hi Lynn,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! Well yesterday night he did not come out again! At least from what I could tell. I've been using the red light for only 2 out of the 5 nights he has been sleeping. So tonight I just got him out of the corner he was in and put him on the main branch going through out the tank. He was looking at crickets not sure if he got any, but he was alert and moving and went into his water bowl twice which is his normal procedure when he does come out and usually poops in his water bowl too. I do not see any poop at the moment the last time I notice some would be was 5 nights ago? I'm pretty sure! He still has a little belly to him not too thin.

My enclosure is a 10 gallon right now. Only one little guy in there about an inch and a half long. I would say my humidity remains around 60%(Like the breeder told me). The guy told me anywhere from 68-82 is fine, but I read another article and it said 77-85 degrees Fahrenheit. So I've been using a 13watt bulb to keep the temps a little higher usually around 77-78 and from 72-74 at night. (right this second the tank is at 72.8) I use conditioned tap-water. For substrate I'm using a potting mix underneath that is weed guard for like a screen type deal and underneath that is hydroballs that the breed sold to me and some sphagnum moss, there is not plants in the enclosure right now. I do have branches and areas to hide though! Main food source would be 1/4 crickets? a little bigger then pin heads. I dust then with rep-cal calcium +D3. For my tiger leg I dust every feeding, I dump about 6 or more crickets into the enclosure. Every other day or so . I know he does not eat them all because I still see a few in the tank. During the day I use a small heat lamp with a 13watt bulb nothing fancy and at night I don't use any form of heat and it stays between 72-74 rarely dropping to 69 degrees. I will try to get a pic as soon as possible!
    I hope any of this information will help me figure out why He has been such a sleepy head lately. Thanks for getting back with me Lynn! =)

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Lynn,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! Well yesterday night he did not come out again! At least from what I could tell. I've been using the red light for only 2 out of the 5 nights he has been sleeping. So tonight I just got him out of the corner he was in and put him on the main branch going through out the tank. He was looking at crickets not sure if he got any, but he was alert and moving and went into his water bowl twice which is his normal procedure when he does come out and usually poops in his water bowl too. I do not see any poop at the moment the last time I notice some would be was 5 nights ago? I'm pretty sure! He still has a little belly to him not too thin.

My enclosure is a 10 gallon right now. Only one little guy in there about an inch and a half long. I would say my humidity remains around 60%(Like the breeder told me). The guy told me anywhere from 68-82 is fine, but I read another article and it said 77-85 degrees Fahrenheit. So I've been using a 13watt bulb to keep the temps a little higher usually around 77-78 and from 72-74 at night. (right this second the tank is at 72.8) I use conditioned tap-water. For substrate I'm using a potting mix underneath that is weed guard for like a screen type deal and underneath that is hydroballs that the breed sold to me and some sphagnum moss, there is not plants in the enclosure right now. I do have branches and areas to hide though! Main food source would be 1/4 crickets? a little bigger then pin heads. I dust then with rep-cal calcium +D3. For my tiger leg I dust every feeding, I dump about 6 or more crickets into the enclosure. Every other day or so . I know he does not eat them all because I still see a few in the tank. During the day I use a small heat lamp with a 13watt bulb nothing fancy and at night I don't use any form of heat and it stays between 72-74 rarely dropping to 69 degrees. I will try to get a pic as soon as possible!
    I hope any of this information will help me figure out why He has been such a sleepy head lately. Thanks for getting back with me Lynn! =)
    Hi Greg,
    It sounds likes you are doing a great job. Sometimes you just have to sit there and watch them.
    I have 5 red eyes in my larger enclosure- They all have very different habits. It is amazing how consistent their habits are as well.
    Tiger legs do have a little different humidity and temp requirements compared to red eyed tree frogs. So, do your research.
    I am unable to recall this specifically , sorry

You might consider adding a small bowl for feeding crickets ( clear glass, sides need to be at least 3" so the little bugger don't hop out----they are so proficient at everything!!!).
    If you like this idea , do both for a longtime until you are sure he eats form the bowl.
    The bowl has some advantages: keeps the vits and cal on the crickets, enables you to monitor food more closely.
    I would not worry about giving him too him many crickets for now while he is still adjusting. The only problem is--- they are going to get into the substrate.

Water: I have read many times not to use "conditioner" but a good de-chlorination product.
    But, have also seen information that state NovAqua is a great Water conditioner. Go figure!
    I recently did a post ( and PM members) on FF " favorite product" for this:
    It was hands down----Amquel and (zoo-med Reptisafe).
    Just don't let you frog soak in distilled water on a regular basis.

Moving forward-
    What I am sure about is : they will do best in a heavily planted enclosure! Live plants - creating a canopy, is very important for them.
    It will provide hiding places up high--- of which they will very naturally be attracted to.
    A " Pothos " is a great place to start. And cheap. (Others -snake plant, Philodendron)
    You will want to get going on is, as it cannot be purchased and simply added into the viv immediately.
    Do a "plant preparation" search here on FF. You will come up will plenty of information
    It MUST be re-potted in tropical soil and left to "grow out" all the pesticides and fertilizer.

Can't wait to see photos !!!! The are very beautiful frogs.

FF member Kurt ( treefrogguru) may be able to help you with specific questions?

Enjoy him ,
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Froggiefressh

Yes I plan on getting the planted viv started as soon as possible. This weekend is my local herp show and I am going to talk to the breeder there again about his set-up. I also wanted to purchase another tiger-legged. The breeder also sell plants for vivs too! =) I was thinking pothos, I hear nothing but good things about that plant. Only thing I am concerned about is lighting for the plants. If I'm not mistaken I need a UVA bulb? please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard that the reptile bulb UVB 5.0 is good for plants growth any take on that? As for my water conditioner this is the first I'm hearing that its not good to use =( I use API tap water conditioner it reads (Removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals) I add 6 drops to a gallon of water. I have also been told to use the conditioner called PRIME. I will absolutely be trying that glass bowl trick. A unique fact I found about tiger-legged tree frogs is that they are more bush dwelling then actually staying in the canopy I've read that in the 2012 Annual Reptile Magazine there is a really great article on the tiger-legged by Michael Novy. Also a nice article on Clown Tree frogs too! Once I get my planted viv for the tiger I want to get clown tree frogs. I just love them! =) Anyways once again thank you for getting back to me so quickly Lynn. I really appreciate it!

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I plan on getting the planted viv started as soon as possible. This weekend is my local herp show and I am going to talk to the breeder there again about his set-up. I also wanted to purchase another tiger-legged. The breeder also sell plants for vivs too! =) I was thinking pothos, I hear nothing but good things about that plant. Only thing I am concerned about is lighting for the plants. If I'm not mistaken I need a UVA bulb? please correct me if I'm wrong. I heard that the reptile bulb UVB 5.0 is good for plants growth any take on that? As for my water conditioner this is the first I'm hearing that its not good to use =( I use API tap water conditioner it reads (Removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals) I add 6 drops to a gallon of water. I have also been told to use the conditioner called PRIME. I will absolutely be trying that glass bowl trick. A unique fact I found about tiger-legged tree frogs is that they are more bush dwelling then actually staying in the canopy I've read that in the 2012 Annual Reptile Magazine there is a really great article on the tiger-legged by Michael Novy. Also a nice article on Clown Tree frogs too! Once I get my planted viv for the tiger I want to get clown tree frogs. I just love them! =) Anyways once again thank you for getting back to me so quickly Lynn. I really appreciate it!
    Hi Greg
    Sounds like a great plan.
    UVB 5.0 too strong ( my opinion) -- if anything 2.0 on a timer ! ( few hours) and a simple plant bulb from home depot ( <$4.00)
    " API tap water conditioner " you can ask others -- but I would not use this !

Very cool - did not know this " more bush dwelling then actually staying in the canopy I've read that in the 2012 Annual Reptile Magazine there is a really great article on the tiger-legged by Michael Novy" I have Michael's permission to give his phone # . He would be "happy" to talk to you. I will PM it to you . I don't know what I would do without him. He has A. Morelettii tads I am wait for !!! I'm so excited! Maybe he is planning tigers
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Froggiefressh

Wow that is so awsome thank you! =) That would be amazing to actually talk to Him! I'm uploading a video I just made of my tiger-legg. Its actually him walking to his bed. Its not very good quality and please excuse my amateur editing skills I'm still learning. =P

Here it is like I said not very good just wanted to show you the little guy. and a few pictures of the others!

http://youtu.be/jjRh5whet98

Thread Information