Thread: Noob to the hobby

Sliverz

Default Noob to the hobby

Hi guys

Just wanted to say hi, i've been reading alot of the forums as im really interested in getting into the hobby. I purchsed a Glass height 17", width 24" and depth 18" tank as well as a exo 12x12x12 and am going to be setting them up. Not really sure what to do with the small one, but maybe if I have successful breading down the road I can keep the juvies in there temporarily. I see there is a huge amount of info and am excited to keep looking through the forums and get started.

Any pointers are always appreciated! I live in Alberta Canada and its very dry here, hoping keeping the right humidity wont be an issue. I was curious if anyone uses the exo terra waterfall and if it has had many issues.

Jesse

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Noob to the hobby

Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place! Are you looking at a specific type of frog yet? Your set may be very different depending on what type of herp you are getting. As I'm sure you have realized, there is a lot of info to cover regarding frogs and toads. It's easily to do as much research as you can before you get your new froggie-friend. You'll still be learning as you go through! I would definitely recommend that whatever species you decide on, keep them for At Least a year or two before you try to breed them.

Sliverz

Hi Griff, thanks for response

I am planning on starting out with azureus or auratus as they seem like a good 1st species. My tank is 18w24l18h, do you think I should stick with 2 for this size? I picked up a monsoon misting system and am going to attempt to set it up so that im not in "rainy season". I was plannin on a waterfall but after reading about them seems they can be a big hassle. At this point I will be sticking with the misting and a small ceramic dish in the corner. Should I be using distilled water in both or just the misting? For plants I was thinking frog moss(pillow moss), some pothos, and 2 bromeliad. There is a reptile/amphibian show out here in 2 weeks and I hope to pick out some frogs then.

Any pointers are always appreciated.

Thanks
    Jesse

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverz View Post
    Hi Griff, thanks for response

I am planning on starting out with azureus or auratus as they seem like a good 1st species. My tank is 18w24l18h, do you think I should stick with 2 for this size? I picked up a monsoon misting system and am going to attempt to set it up so that im not in "rainy season". I was plannin on a waterfall but after reading about them seems they can be a big hassle. At this point I will be sticking with the misting and a small ceramic dish in the corner. Should I be using distilled water in both or just the misting? For plants I was thinking frog moss(pillow moss), some pothos, and 2 bromeliad. There is a reptile/amphibian show out here in 2 weeks and I hope to pick out some frogs then.

Any pointers are always appreciated.

Thanks
    Jesse
    I don't know alot about Darts, but the plants sound good. If you're worried about the nozzles clogging on your Monsoon system you can use distilled, Otherwise de-chlorinated tap water or spring water would be fine. Their main water source for soaking should always be de-chlorinated tap water or natural spring water. distilled water and and R/O water lack vital minerals and salts that your frogs need to hydrate themselves and for everyday bodily functions. distilled water and R/O water will actually steal nutrients/minerals/ and electrolytes from your frog. this is why it is only advised that dislilled and R/O water only be used for misting.

Sliverz

Awesome thanks for the info

Thread Information