Thread: White Tree Frog Habitat Questions/Suggestions?

tankogradets

Question White Tree Frog Habitat Questions/Suggestions?

I have a question/request for advice about the enclosure that I have setup for my Whites Tree Frog. See the pictures below.

Basically, I have two lamps that I alternate on a day-to-night basis. For the daytime, I put a bright heat lamp to keep the temperature and light in on the enclosure. Notice that I have my lamp pointed sideways at my terrarium. The reason that I did it in such a way is because I have a towel covering most of the terrarium's top because that's the only way that I was able to maintain high (70-80%) levels of humidity (is there a different way - I am already using wet moss, etc.). The light heats the glass on that one side quite a bit, so I move it away/dim it a bit as the day progresses. La Frog (his name) spends most of his day time sleeping in the top-right corner of the terrarium.

At night time, I turn the red night light on - same position (sideways). That's when La Frog comes down for supper/bath ;-). So, my question to all of you - how does this look? Am I doing something wrong? Please advise/recommend.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Max
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: White Tree Frog Habitat Questions/Suggestions?

What kind of moss are you using? If its a loose moss then I would not feed him in that tank. Its a major impaction risk. If its something like frog moss (a moss that is tightly paced and looks a lot like the stuff you'd probably find outside in a highly shaded area of the lawn) then its ok but do watch for mold. I just got rid of mine because it caused the wood (even treated wood from the pet store) to get this green/blue mold all over it. Both are pretty good for keeping humidity but the very best way is to have some real plants in the tank. They hold humidity better then anything.

As for the towel on top, I'm not so sure about it. That type of tank does have 2 vent systems (the main top and the strip right below the doors) but you've covered the main so air flow is probably minimum in your tank which isn't good. How often do you mist? I cant be sure but the last pic looks like your sub is pretty wet, almost puddling. If so, you have plenty of humidity, too much even. And if not, I would still check to be sure your humidity meeter is calibrated right. Here's an article that'll explain how to do that ->Frog Forum - Calibration of Digital Hygrometers for Vivaria Use

And if everything is right maybe you just have the light too close? I use eco earth sub and give the tank a really good misting every morning and night and if I'm around I give it a light mist a few times during the day. I havn't had a humidity problem but I also use UTH's instead of heat lamps so I'm guessing the lamp makes the water evaporate much more quickly. If your misting fairly often and your meeter is calibrated right then I'd try pulling the light away from the tank.

Other then that the inside looks awesome!

tankogradets

Question Re: White Tree Frog Habitat Questions/Suggestions?

Ahhh... I am so happy you answered.

So, I was worried about the 'towel idea' as well, which is why I wanted to get other folks' input. I took it right off, and changed my layout a bit. I do mist quite a bit in the morning and in the evening, and ask my wife to do it in the day time a little.

See attached images. The moss I use is 'Frog Moss' - La Frog should be okay with it?

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: White Tree Frog Habitat Questions/Suggestions?

Ya. That moss is the good moss. But like I said watch for mold, just in case. But thats a different brand and probably a much higher quality (zoo med usually is). I hope pulling the lamp away a bit helps with the humidity. If not, hopefully someone who uses heat lamps can give you some other ideas. ^^

And I totally love that pic of the red eyes in the background. X3

Thread Information