Thread: Just got a Blue Whites Tree Frog...

Sandy Bear

Default Just got a Blue Whites Tree Frog...

I just bought my first "Blue" Whites Tree Frog yesterday from Petsmart. It's a small juvenile, and well, he's not very blue. He looks more green like my six other Whites.

I'm not sure if this is just an age thing, or a stress issue or if I got a hybrid or a mislabeled frog or if there is color variations in the Blue line of Whites Tree Frogs.

In the display picture posted at Petsmart I'm not sure if that is what they are really supposed to look like or if it has been color enhanced.

I will try to get a picture of him posted tonight.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: Just got a Blue Whites Tree Frog...

I looked up Blue phases and I dont know what the picture looked like but the pics I've found show them as more of a blue-ish green then a true blue. Here's a site with fairly reliable undoctored pics of some blue phases.

Blue Phase White's Tree Frogs - talk to the frog

I'm willing to bet there is a wide variation in color for these guys just like most tree frogs.

Sandy Bear

Ha! I just finished looking at that page too. I found an ad on an online pet shop that was selling Blue Whites Tree Frogs, and it was saying that the blue color doesn't start to appear until they are older.

Our petsmart is trying to get a couple more in, in one of the next reptile shipments, I think I will buy those too should they show up.

InfinitysDaughter

Dang Canada. You guys get all the cools stuffs. Xp XD j/k

I wonder if I pester Lori enough if she can grease some wheels and get a blue into our store. Our petsmart rarely gets anything unusual when it comes to amphibians. We've had a few sand boas (really adorable itty bitty snakes that only get up to about 24 inches but there 100$ a pop! O.O) but other then that, really not much. I got a heads up we might be getting a bumble bee toad, though....

Sandy Bear

Our Petsmart guy told me that the "blue" whites rarely come available (at least on his order list).
    My Blue WTF cost around $70, regular WTF is about $40

I'm in our Petsmart all the time bugging him about different types of frogs that they can get in. I'd like to buy frogs from a breeder, but there are very few in Canada that actually do breed frogs, and the only ones I've been able to find are just breeding darts.
    The selection of exotic pets that are available in Canada is quite limited compared to what is available in the US, animals are also quite a bit more expensive here.

I didn't get a chance tonight to take a picture of my new WTF, so I'll get on that tomorrow. Got busy with feeding everyone, and I also picked up 4 Cuban Tree Frogs yesterday, so I started their Lamisil treatment tonight - never again will I attempt to treat them all at the same time, it was just nuts. They are big like an adult WTF, but they are just wild and springy like American Green Tree Frogs.

InfinitysDaughter

In my area of the US there aren't any breeders that I know of, at least not any with good reputations. My only options are my petsmart or petco and the petco in the area is DISGUSTING. There animals rarely live past a few weeks. Last time I shopped there I got 3 beta's in a row with fin rot (first one showed signs so I exchanged, second showed signs so I exchanged, 3rd showed signs so I tried to treat and he died), there critter's cages are just disgusting all the time, and the people they hire dont know a frog from a toad.

I was debating about getting the cuban we have or the other whites that use to be Azy's tank mate when I get a larger tank for her but I think you just made up my mind for me. I love my little A.Green (Percy) but the little bugger is just so, well, like you said, springy! She's gotten out of her tank a few times and with a cat that scares the **** out of me. He's already gotten hold of her once and she still has the scar on her front leg. I think a Cuban might just be a bigger target for him. T^T

And tak pics of them all!!!!! I'd love to see them all.

pansie

I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada and the Petsmart near me deals with way more cool frogs than the local herp shop! The store (global exotic pets) rarely has a tree frog, pyxie or pac man around, but Petmart often does and gets in hornworms in 2 sizes, and silkworms every tuesday. i really want a WTF next!! and there is one at PetSMart that has been there for sooo long... i just have to convince my husband that we can fit another frog in here somewhere ahaha

Kristen

They are blue when some reason the yellow dermal layer is absent (genetics). Blue overlaid with yellow produces green, their normal colour. If the yellow is not there, the frog appears blue. You can get yellow ones too (they're much rarer)
    Alot of them are sold as Blues but they aren't. They just change to a blue every now and then just like whites can go brown.
    here's a picture of a fully blue one from a magazine article.

The person who photographed/wrote it said
    "The specimen was captured in one of Townsville's suburbs in 1997. The blue colour is a result of a genetic disorder. Ironically, this blue gem was eaten by a larger, veracious Litoria albogutata. My colleague didn't know that albos are cannibalistic and put them both into one tank. That was the end of bluey - I was very lucky to get a series of photos the day before the "accident". That was the only blue frog I have ever seen." and also that it was a young male.

Also, on another forum someone posted this
    "Hi,

I found this thread on google whilst searching for info about a frog I found on our property last week whilst mowing my mother in law's lawn. It looks like a young green tree frog but it is blue. It changes between being a light blue, almost aqua colour and a dark almost purple colour. Noone I have talked to has every seen anything like it around here. How rare is this? I have kept him around the house until I find out more about him. Very intrigued! Any info would be appreciated!" With these pictures attached. (and on his knuckles is spray paint, aha)

pansie

wow kristen! those are cool!

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by pansie View Post
    wow kristen! those are cool!
    Yeah, I love how they are almost purple.

InfinitysDaughter

OMG they are so awesome! Now I really do want a blue!!! There beautiful! (not that my Azy isn't *hides computer screen from her frog* XD )

Kristen

The 'blues' from pet stores are more of an aqua than blue, still cool though

AliMarie16

Can a blue whites tree frog live in the same habitat as a regular whites tree frog? I currently have a whites tree frog and have had her for 3-4 months and have been looking into getting her a friend.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by AliMarie16 View Post
    Can a blue whites tree frog live in the same habitat as a regular whites tree frog? I currently have a whites tree frog and have had her for 3-4 months and have been looking into getting her a friend.
    A "Blue"(Australian) whites tree frog can live with an Indonesian. Indo's are often WC and carry infections that may take a while to become obvious so be cautious.

Thread Information