Thread: Bought a P. adspersus, received a P. edulis

KrTreefrog2

Default Bought a P. adspersus, received a P. edulis

Hello folks, this is my first time posting on Frog Forum, but not my first time reading posts on here. Many threads in this forum were quite useful in preparation to buying a Giant African Bullfrog. The only problem is that the frog that arrived today is a P. edulis, not an adspersus (photos below). I bought it from BackwaterReptiles.com, a known drop shipper, but I took the risk after being unable to get an adspersus ordered through a pet store locally, and well, I got burned. While I'm working on getting things straightened out, does anyone know of a good source to buy a Giant African Bullfrog that's truly a P. adspersus?

Name:  Top View.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  Right Side.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  Left Side.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  84.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Peachy

Default Re: Bought a P. adspersus, received a P. edulis

Jela's Phat Phibs, Mike's Phat Frogs. Both are breeders and members of this forum but dunno if they have any in stock.

Sublime

That sucks; sorry. Also another trusted website you could buy from is LLLReptile.

Daniel L

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    That sucks; sorry. Also another trusted website you could buy from is LLLReptile.
    Yes this is an P. Edulis but not the regular. These types you have can becomme verry big. Almost P. adspersus size. Look at my album giant edulis when he was little he looked the same.

pansie

i love my edulis!! why do people not what them??

Stingray

There was a big shipment that came in recently from Mozambique. It could be one of them. They have both the characteristics of the adspersus and the edulis. If it is it will get big like the adspersus.

BTW...Philippe De Vosjoli breeds and sells adspersus and edulis.

http://www.giantgeckos.net/giantgeck...d=29&Itemid=76

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Too bad you didn't get what you ordered. But that's a cool looking boy if you ask me! I would buy him from you in a heartbeat if you were a bit closer

I hope you consider keeping him. Dwarfs are really cool frogs too.

Daniel L

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    There was a big shipment that came in recently from Mozambique. It could be one of them. They have both the characteristics of the adspersus and the edulis. If it is it will get big like the adspersusTW...Philippe De Vosjoli breeds and sells adspersus and edulis.

GiantGeckos.com - Captive Bred Reptiles by Philippe de Vosjoli - AVAILABLE
    Yes this the p.edulis from Mozambique also know under the name P. Mozambicus. Verry cool frog, the grow also verry big en has indeed some of the adspersus and edulis. veryy agrassive frogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

KrTreefrog2

I've been in contact with Sam from BackwaterReptiles.com, and he said the frog came from southern Mozambique, so it most likely is from that same shipment, Stringray. If this is not a normal edulis, is it some sort of hybrid? What can I expect later on as far as final size and coloration?

Stingray

The pics that Daniel posted is what you can expect them to look like in size and coloration. As said to they are very aggressive frogs.

pyxieBob

Neither of those Previous mentioned breeders breed Pyxies. theyvbreed pacmans. and do you have confirmation that this Phillippe person actually breeds Adspersus. ?? that is a very VERY difficult thing to do..

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e5yvjg

pyxieBob

I'm very curious to see this frog grow, make sure you keep us posted on its growth!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?g00der

pyxieBob

Quote Originally Posted by pansie View Post
    i love my edulis!! why do people not what them??
    I know I'm not interested in them because they really don't look like a "dwarf" version of an Adspersus. if they had the same features and colors just a tiny version then I would. but they don't look anything like them. no green, they have pointy faces ect.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jdhlw4

KrTreefrog2

I decided to keep this little (for now) guy. I'm very interested to see how he turns out. If his size matches his appetite then I'd say he's going to be huge, lol. This guy will put down a medium sized dubia roach and 4+ European nightcrawlers before he's full. Food is the only thing he seems to be aggressive about; otherwise he sits in his burrow-hole or his swimming pool or quietly in my hand.

pansie

I love my lil man's face! haha
    I don't see very many with as much yellow as my Bruce has.... but i'm still very new to the frog world and don't know much of the differences between adspersus and edulis
    Bruce is def a good eater! I'm not really sure when to stop feeding him! It seems like he'll never stop!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

johnny888

Quote Originally Posted by KrTreefrog2 View Post
    I decided to keep this little (for now) guy. I'm very interested to see how he turns out. If his size matches his appetite then I'd say he's going to be huge, lol. This guy will put down a medium sized dubia roach and 4+ European nightcrawlers before he's full. Food is the only thing he seems to be aggressive about; otherwise he sits in his burrow-hole or his swimming pool or quietly in my hand.
    Good decision...Good luck with him. = )

Quote Originally Posted by pansie View Post
    I love my lil man's face! haha
    I don't see very many with as much yellow as my Bruce has.... but i'm still very new to the frog world and don't know much of the differences between adspersus and edulis
    Bruce is def a good eater! I'm not really sure when to stop feeding him! It seems like he'll never stop!
    wow gotta admit i love the way ur edulis looks!!! never seemed to like them much but urs looks pretty cool lol i have a giant that still a juvy...maybe my next one might be a edulis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Krtreefrog2, he's a great looking frog... I'm glad you decided to keep him .

Pansie, that may be one of the cutesy frog faces ever!!! You should enter his photo in the monthly contest . Adorable!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

pansie

Krtreefrog, def keep him! if it's a "him" they have such a badass croak!!! =) It sounds like Clifford the big red dog is barking!!! =)

Thread Information