Thread: New Frog Parent

Andison

Default New Frog Parent

Hi everyone! So I recently got two baby pacmans. I've been up all night the last few nights educating myself, but its pretty difficult to just gather a sense of the proper way to raise some happy frogs from just reading other peoples responses (so much variance!). It's really important that all my pets are absolutely at the top of their game, so heres the details on their set up, and please help me as to what else I should be aware of or need to change, thanks!

They are each in ten gallon tanks, with about three inches of eco earth substrate.
    I've got a half log in one and a decorative skull in the other to make some hiding places, as well as a live plant and water dish in each.
    I've got a thermometer/hygrometer that I move from one tank to the other the check those numbers. My humidity is between 75 and 85 percent in each, and my temps are at a low of 75 and a high of 83.
    I've been using bottled water to mist them. My roommate owned a bunch of reptiles before I kicked her out, and when I got the frogs she told me I needed to mist them often, so I was using her distilled water. and then I read somewhere that that burns their skin! Since then I've used nothing but bottled water, misting them daily
    As far as food, I have red wigglers and multivitamin coming in the mail. I plan to feed them a worm a day, every other day I'll dust it with vitamin. I read this somewhere and it made me most comfortable. I'll probably get them some crickets sometime to feed them every once and a while, but I'm leaning towards these vita-wigglers as a staple..
    Other than that, I've got a couple of small heating pads in the mail so I can raise my daytime temperature to 80 or 85. But I'm a little torn as to how I should use it, seeing as I've read that frogs try to bury themselves to cool off, and under-tank-heaters kind of ruin this idea
    And I seran-wrapped half of my screen tops so I could get the humidity to where it is.
    Am I on the right track?? Please let me know if my litte guys need any other type of special attention!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: New Frog Parent

First off, hello & welcome!

Now for the advice :

You can use tap water as long as it is de-chlorinated. make sure the substrate is moist but not muddy.
    Your temps sound good. UTH should always be used on the side of the frog's enclosure so they don't cook themselves by digging into the hot spot.
    You're going to find that the red wigglers may not be to their taste. We breed and they will take them at first and snub them after the first one. I would suggest Night Crawlers instead. Also, the wigglers are tiny and even though you will have to cut the night crawler to appropriate sized pieces, you only have 2 frogs to feed so a 24 count will last a while in the fridge.

How big/small are these frogs? If they are still small, 10 gallon may be a bit large for them, i would suggest you cover 3 sides of the tanks to give them a sense of security. And yes, distilled water is bad for them. You can offer them food nightly but they may not eat every night depending on the size of the last meal & their size as well.

Plenty of folks here to help with more advice if you need it too!! Hope it helped!

Andison

Would you recommend dechlorinated tap water over bottled water? Or does it matter. Someday I may invest in a misting system, which would make tap water more reasonable, obviously. I personally don't drink tap water however, so I'm always inclined to give my pets bottled water (even my dogs water bowl gets filled with bottled water).
    I'll put my UTH's on the side, for sure, GAH I'm glad you said something about the wigglers! It's taking them way longer to ship than our overnight crickets usually do. And I'm pretty sure I can get some nightcrawlers from our local baitshop (nothing wrong with that right?)
    Yes they are very small, half dollar size maybe. Should I get some of that black fishtank background from petco to put around the sides?
    And I shouldn't be concerned if they don't eat daily? Even if its just a nightcrawler?
    Thank you so much!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Andison View Post
    Would you recommend dechlorinated tap water over bottled water? Or does it matter. Someday I may invest in a misting system, which would make tap water more reasonable, obviously. I personally don't drink tap water however, so I'm always inclined to give my pets bottled water (even my dogs water bowl gets filled with bottled water).
    I'll put my UTH's on the side, for sure, GAH I'm glad you said something about the wigglers! It's taking them way longer to ship than our overnight crickets usually do. And I'm pretty sure I can get some nightcrawlers from our local baitshop (nothing wrong with that right?)
    Yes they are very small, half dollar size maybe. Should I get some of that black fishtank background from petco to put around the sides?
    And I shouldn't be concerned if they don't eat daily? Even if its just a nightcrawler?
    Thank you so much!
    Welcome to Frog Forum Andison.

You've already gotten excellent advice from Jessica and it should be fallowed. You can. Only use bottled watwr if its actual SPRING water. Not filtered bottled water. De-chlorinated tap water works very well. Distilled water is to only be used for misting. It doesn't burn them, but it lack minerals and salts that the frogs need for hydration and bodily functions. If used as a main water source it will literally steal those vital minerals and salts from the frogs causing them to become ill and possibly die. So misting with distilled is fine, but that's all. R/O water is the same as distilled and contains no minerals or salts and will do as the distilled does.

Your frogs may not eat for you for a couple days even after you get food for them. They usually won't eat while adjusting to a new home. Babies should be offered food every night because they are at a critical stage in their lives that will affect them all the way into adulthood. Dust with a calcium supplement every other feeding and with a multivitamin once a week, but not at the same time during the same feeding.

Crickets that you feed your babies should be no longer than the distance between your frogs eyes. Pieces of. Night crawler can be 3/4" to 1" in length, but only if they are not too thick. A couple pieces of night crawler a night is a good start and probably or 3 to 4 small crickets not all that at once.

Babies should be kept from 80 to 82 during the day and 75 to 79 at night. The night temp should hover around 78 though. Humidity should be maintained at 80%. A periodic drop will occur, but do not worry. The humidity range is 70 to 80% so as long as you stay in those levels all should be fine.

Hope this helps and post some pics of your little guys/girls. We love pic.

Andison

Ok so my uth's came in and I put them on the side of my ten gallons and frustratingly enough I saw NO difference! I guess I should've gotten bigger ones.
    So I have some 50 watt red night lights from my last reptile set ups. Can I use these to raise the temperature? It's been cold in my house, with trying to adjust to the warmer weather my ac has been doing work I guess, my thermometer in their tanks has a low of 69!
    So I have two 50 watt night lights, can I use them? They wont hurt the frogs will they? One is albino..
    Also I got my red wigglers in, and went and bought some night crawlers for some variety. One of my frogs will eat but the albino one wont. I've had the frogs for a good three or four weeks so they should be preetty used to the set up by now.. Should I stabilize a good temperature and keep trying? Or how long should I let my baby frog not eat before I start reading about force feeding...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Andison View Post
    Ok so my uth's came in and I put them on the side of my ten gallons and frustratingly enough I saw NO difference! I guess I should've gotten bigger ones.
    So I have some 50 watt red night lights from my last reptile set ups. Can I use these to raise the temperature? It's been cold in my house, with trying to adjust to the warmer weather my ac has been doing work I guess, my thermometer in their tanks has a low of 69!
    So I have two 50 watt night lights, can I use them? They wont hurt the frogs will they? One is albino..
    Also I got my red wigglers in, and went and bought some night crawlers for some variety. One of my frogs will eat but the albino one wont. I've had the frogs for a good three or four weeks so they should be preetty used to the set up by now.. Should I stabilize a good temperature and keep trying? Or how long should I let my baby frog not eat before I start reading about force feeding...
    Get the temps up. You can use the 50 watt infrared bulbs they won't hurt. They will burn off humidity, but that's to be expected.

Definetly get the climate stable and keep leaving food in. Break the back legs off the crickets before placing them in so they're easier to catch. Try the red wigglers when your frog comes. Out to eat. Force feeding is usec as a last resort. If your frog does not eat for 8 to 10 days you will need to force feed him/her.

Keep. Us posted.

Thread Information