Thread: Questions/Update on Nugget

nlopez

Question Questions/Update on Nugget

Hi guys!

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd give everyone an update on Nugget. We recently moved (more than just one room to another) and Nugget was a bit stressed right after the move, but seems to be doing very well now.

My main question is this- in estimating Nugget's age, you guys had let me know he was less than a year old (around 4-5 months based on his SVL a few months ago). It seems that lately he is trying to go into hibernation fairly often. He will bury himself completely, and sometimes not come out for dinner (rarely, but he has skipped a night or two). Usually if I unbury his head, he will eat, but even still sometimes will not come out of the substrate. His temps are on the higher end, so I don't want to get him too hot (I know bumping them up can get him out of it, but he's already at 75 at night and 82 during the day). Does it sound like he is trying to hibernate? Should I let him since he is probably around 7-8 months old now? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Questions/Update on Nugget

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Hi guys!

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd give everyone an update on Nugget. We recently moved (more than just one room to another) and Nugget was a bit stressed right after the move, but seems to be doing very well now.

My main question is this- in estimating Nugget's age, you guys had let me know he was less than a year old (around 4-5 months based on his SVL a few months ago). It seems that lately he is trying to go into hibernation fairly often. He will bury himself completely, and sometimes not come out for dinner (rarely, but he has skipped a night or two). Usually if I unbury his head, he will eat, but even still sometimes will not come out of the substrate. His temps are on the higher end, so I don't want to get him too hot (I know bumping them up can get him out of it, but he's already at 75 at night and 82 during the day). Does it sound like he is trying to hibernate? Should I let him since he is probably around 7-8 months old now? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hi Nlopez,

It is recomended that no frog under 1 year of age be let to go. Into hibernation and it is to late for hibernation since the period. Of. Aestivartion is from late November to late Febuary so. Now is far too late. You should raise his night temp to around 77 or 78. Maintain 80% humidity and he will not go into aestivation.

It is ok for you to Unbury his head so he can see his food. Mine do this periodically.

nlopez

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hi Nlopez,

It is recomended that no frog under 1 year of age be let to go. Into hibernation and it is to late for hibernation since the period. Of. Aestivartion is from late November to late Febuary so. Now is far too late. You should raise his night temp to around 77 or 78. Maintain 80% humidity and he will not go into aestivation.

It is ok for you to Unbury his head so he can see his food. Mine do this periodically.
    Thanks! I'll raise his temps tonight and bump his humidity to see how that goes. Thanks again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Thanks! I'll raise his temps tonight and bump his humidity to see how that goes. Thanks again.
    You're welcom. Be careful with the Hygrotherm settings. You could actually set the humidity on the unit to 78% and it will fog the tank to 80% also beware of moisture buildup in the substrate. The better you tank holds humidity the more moisture that will stay in the tank and be absorbed by the soil.

6. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Thread Information