Thread: Please help!!!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Please help!!!

I've had my three Albino AFC's for over a year, but have lost two in fairly quick succession (the first one to bloat). When the second died the remaining frog partially ate him :-/ I've put her in a new tank as they had outgrown the one they were in, but I'm very worried about her. She has gotten so thin and doesn't seem to be eating, and is spending much more time at the surface. I do know that I wasn't feeding them the best diet (bloodworm) but I addressed that after the bloat. She may just need time to settle in to her new tank but with two losses so close together it feels like a matter of time before kermit passes on too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?istx2j

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Default Re: Please help!!!

ok we have to back track a bit.

What size tank were they in? Filtered?
    Substrate? Diet and how often were they fed?
    How often do you do water changes (before and after?)

What size is the new tank? Is it filtered? If so, was the filter cycled?
    Substrate? Diet and how often is he/she fed?
    Temperature?
    Water changes? How big and how often?

Can you post a picture?
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

They were in a 20g tank with a filter and gravel, I would feed them every two days. Now the remaining frog Kermit (a female who was always the biggest) is in a 40g long tank, again with gravel bottom and a much better canister filter. She has been in there only 3 days but still hasn't eaten, and the way she floats is different, horizontally with her nose still under water as opposed to her usual zen pose. Ive been trying to post a pic from my iPhone, but il have to do it from the laptop.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eecv0n

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I keep the temp at 70F, was feeding bloodworms but now feed brine shrimp and turtle sticks, and I've been doing fortnightly 1/4 water changes.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?o10b0o

kellym5505

ok, what size tank do you have her in? do you have a filter? what do you feed her?

i ask because these frogs need a lot of room females get 30 % larger then males, i have 2 males in a 30 long, one is 6 years old and the other not a year old yet when the other male is full grown .i will be getting a bigger tank. i also have a filter for a 60 gallon tank because even after full grown if happy and healthy will shed and what the frog will not eat will make a dirty tank. to many frogs in a tank not big enough and with out the right filtration system could cause bacteria which could kill a frog or make them sick.
    I hand feed my frogs because they have bad sight, they eat frozen bloodworm pellets 2 in the am and 2 in the pm, if i had a female i would feed he 3 in the am and 3 in the pm because they are big and if with other frogs and they are not eating enough they will try to eat the other frogs.
    I also use salt for freshwater Aquariums i used half of what is suggested on the box this help keep the tank clean and kills bad bacteria.
    what i would try first is:
    I would clean out the tank empty all the water out clean everything stones and all , use very very hot water to clean everything and wipe the inside of the tank out very hot water then used some of the fresh water aquarium salt in the tank. read the directions on the salt box/container use half of what they recommend. if you do not have a heater in the tank get one, my tank is always between 71-76 degrees. if your tank is small like a ten gallon get a bigger tank like a 30 long
    Also these frogs enjoy the company of other ACF's and will get very lonely. that could be the issue. i know it is hard to find a large ACF, but if you get a tank divider (only if you have a big tank) or even another smaller tank to keep it in you can get a young one. Place the tanks next to each other so they see each other. after the new frog is half the size of your female you can put them together but remember to hand feed them or the female will eat the smaller one, if after feeding them she still seems hungry and is going after the smaller one them increase the amount you are feeding her.
    good luck let me know how it turns out.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I saw one a similar size to her yesterday actually and was tempted, but I'm wary as I don't want to risk the health of a new frog. She may be lonely but has only been alone for a few days as the others have only very recently died

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?q0xom3

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Unhappy Re: Please help!!!

These are a couple of pics of Kermit, they show the way she floats at the surface and how thin she has gotten, she used to have a nice round tummy and now it looks sucked in

Name:  doc_0196.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  37.0 KB Name:  doc_0198.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  72.0 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by kellym5505 View Post
    ok, what size tank do you have her in? do you have a filter? what do you feed her?
    This was answered in previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by kellym5505 View Post
    I also use salt for freshwater Aquariums i used half of what is suggested on the box this help keep the tank clean and kills bad bacteria
    Wow!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Maddy- It sounds like your tank size is fine. The temp is exceptable too. Glad to see you have changed your diet. I have no idea what killed you first two frog, but yoy made a sound decision in not buying anymore until you sort this out. It is highly possible your frog is not eating(at least in part) because of all of the recent changes. New diet, new digs, no tank mates. Is the new setup cycled yet?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yes I had the tank for weeks as it was meant for all three frogs but just as it was ready for them to move into two died! The first was definitely bloat but no idea about the second :-/

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?unouqx

Thread Information