Thread: Grapevine Alternative?

AReaHerps

Default Grapevine Alternative?

I was doing some searching here to try and find an alternative to using grapevine. I currently have 1 piece of grapevine inside my red eye tank and in only 2 days it has mold growing on it. Is this because my air flow is not good enough or simply because it is not a good choice for my tank. If it is not a good choice for my tank, please lead me in the right direction for choosing a decorative piece of wood. If someone else has had success with grapevine, how or what did you do to prevent the mold/mildew? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

J Teezy

Default Re: Grapevine Alternative?

mopani and ghost wood are good choices

AReaHerps

I just did a Google search on both of those. I actually think I have some mopani but didn't know it. Last time I tried it, it also molded/mildewed. Just I try something to prepare it besides cleaning it before trying it in my tank? As for ghost wood, I will try to find some locally and see if that works.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by AReaHerps View Post
    I was doing some searching here to try and find an alternative to using grapevine. I currently have 1 piece of grapevine inside my red eye tank and in only 2 days it has mold growing on it. Is this because my air flow is not good enough or simply because it is not a good choice for my tank. If it is not a good choice for my tank, please lead me in the right direction for choosing a decorative piece of wood. If someone else has had success with grapevine, how or what did you do to prevent the mold/mildew? Thanks
    Pothos !! suspended from the top somehow--- creating a canopy.
    They love, love, love the leaves and getting from one place to another w/ out having to go to the bottom.

check it out- I used stainless steal shower curtain thingies.
    They do not rust, they are cheap , ( I find them at the supermarket) , and they have NO sharp edges.

http://www.frogforum.net/members/fly...ed-pothos.html

I have also used them to suspend my mist valves- better than suction cups !

Have fun !
    Lynn

http://www.frogforum.net/members/fly...2-30-2011.html
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

I have grapevine in treefrog viv and no mold so far after a few months. It was boiled then left to sit in a car port for a year (mostly because I didn't get around to using it) then boiled again to bend into shape. The viv is set up for a north american native tree frog though, so it doesn't have the humidity a red eye tank would have. It is also well stocked with springtails, so that might help with the lower parts of the vine near the substrate at least. I have read of problems with mold on grapevine in wetter conditions than mine is kept at, so unfortunately it might not be suitable for your tank .

Shibumi

I've read that the mold on certain woods will go away in time, after the wood gets saturated by misting. i've never used grapevine though. It's just something I remember reading on the forums.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Is it white mold? If so this a natural process of grape wood being added to your Viv. Kind of like conditioning for the enclosure and wood. It does go away after a little while. Distilled water can help stop the mold and kill it due to its total lack of mineral/salt content. As long as it doesn't get. Out of control it should be. Fine, but like you I do not like having any fungi in my enclosure. You could also try washing the wood in scalding chlorinated water not boiled. The chlorine can kill the mold as well.

AReaHerps

You guys got me thinking... I could prepare some of my grapevine wood by mimicking the conditions prior to using them in the setups! If that mold is part of the process (which would be fantastic) then I can simply put some temporary plants like some pothos until the wood is ready. I also recently got some Philidendron Split Leaf plants. They are still tiny. I can use those too. Bulkier leaf than pothos. Thanks for all the insight and info! Time to prepare for the science experiment!

Sent from my Android using the Tapatalk Forum App! It's awesome!

AReaHerps

Unfortunately my mold problem never went away and started to turn into green mold too. All white at first then it seemed another form came in and took over. I am going to try and boil it, then soak it until it is saturated. I did some reading and some people have not had problems after doing that. My background should be ready in a few days so hopefully this will be enough time to prepare the wood for the new setup. I found some Mopani wood at a local pet store and they wanted a left kidney for it! It was about $15 for a small piece! That seems ridiculous to me. I have so much grapewood that I would feel wasteful not using it somehow! Now to find a nice and easy moss or an alternative for ground cover!

Thread Information