Thread: Which gloves are ideal for amphibians?

David Pinckney

Default Which gloves are ideal for amphibians?

First of all, I’d like to say to John Clare, that was a great article you wrote in the May issue of "Reptiles" about the golden dart frog. Despite the magazine’s name, I wish they had equal coverage of amphibians. No offense too those who prefer reptiles, but I’m just not aware of an amphibian focused periodical
    Now, on to the topic, I assume that powder free gloves would be appropriate, but which material should the gloves themselves be made out of; latex or something else? And so long as you’re using the right gloves, do you no longer have to worry about poisoning your pet through handling?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

David Pinckney

Default Re: Which gloves are ideal for amphibians?

PS
    I just realized that I put this in the African Bullfrogs section, but I mean the question too apply to all amphibians. I guess I’ll look for where to repost this.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Powder and latex free, nitrile gloves are the best kind to use! I use them all the time.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Hi David,

The research that has been done (in tadpoles, as being more sensitive than adult amphibians) suggests well washed vinyl gloves are best, though not perfect. Latex gloves should definitely be avoided. Moist hands actually seem to come out quite well, although more difficult to wash thoroughly.

As mentioned these studies seem to be done in tadpoles, but it seems reasonable to assume that if they're that toxic to tadpoles, they're not healthy for adult amphibs either, although whether it's of clinical relevance is debatable.

A couple of papers if you're interested in further reading:

Cashins SD, Alford RA, Skerrratt LF (2008) Lethal effects of Latex, nitrile and vinyl gloves on tadpoles Herpetological Review 39(3) p 298-301.

Sobotka JM, Rahwan RG (1994) Lethal Effect of latex gloves on Xenopus laevis tadpoles (J. Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 32(1) p 59

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pinckney View Post
    First of all, I’d like to say to John Clare, that was a great article you wrote in the May issue of "Reptiles" about the golden dart frog. Despite the magazine’s name, I wish they had equal coverage of amphibians. No offense too those who prefer reptiles, but I’m just not aware of an amphibian focused periodical
    Now, on to the topic, I assume that powder free gloves would be appropriate, but which material should the gloves themselves be made out of; latex or something else? And so long as you’re using the right gloves, do you no longer have to worry about poisoning your pet through handling?

Thread Information