Thread: Weird Smell....??

Jumpshot724

Default Weird Smell....??

I recently bought an Exo-Terra turtle cliff filter for my FBT tank, and it worked fine for a couple weeks. Then last week I noticed the water had a lot of white bubbles on top, and the water looked like it was carbonated (like soda) with tiny tiny bubbles in it. I immediately shut off the filter, checked it and found no issues, didn't smell anything, and left it off for the past few days. The water became clear (or should I say back to normal) pretty quickly.

Just now I tried turning it on again to see the same problem, only this time I smelled something almost immediately after turning it on. It smells like Sulphur (rotten eggs). The smell drastically decresed after I shut the filter off, but it is still there if you stick your nose all the way in the tank. Any ideas??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Weird Smell....??

Sounds, or should I say, smells like anaerobic bacteria. I would do a water change, then a filter change a few day later or vice versa.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Kurt, sounds like a classic case of excessive biological material decaying in the water. Definitely time for some water changes and some good cleaning of the tank equipment and decorations.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Jumpshot724

There were some leaves in the water decompossing, as well as some moss the toads dragged in. I took that out and ran both filters (I have the regular turtle cliff filter and a "natural" filter which is just a pump submerged in hydroballs under my land area that pumps up to a waterfall; I had the waterfall filter off for a few eeks because there were some leaks in the receiver bowl at the top of the tank I was trying to seal up 'cause it was soaking my background).

Anyway it seems to have resolved itself. I soaked up the top layer of the water with paper towel at the suggestion of a member of another site and am running both filters now. I stuck my nose all the way in and don't smell a thing other than what the viv is supposed to smell like (very foresty lol).

It was just weird how all of a sudden it started up and now is gone. Very odd, all well.
    Thanks all!!!!

Kurt

You're welcome.

Thread Information