Thread: Clay background ok for American green tree frogs and gray tree frogs?

rcollege

Default Clay background ok for American green tree frogs and gray tree frogs?

Hi all,

Brand new here....

I have some terrariums with American Green Tree Frogs and a Gray tree frog. Both the greens are croaking as a write this. Only animal that has more lives than a cat- it croaks every night.

I have bought some bendonite clay (AKA kitty litter) for a background...but I am hesitant to use it as I dont know if it would be good for tree frogs....I see them mainly used for dart frogs and an occasional red eyed tree frog.

The frogs I have are more "acrobatic"- nice way of saying they jump and ambush with a nice "thunk!" and they spend a lot of time sitting in one spot...so I'm not sure if the bendonite/ clay would bother them.

I also don't know if it would require too much humidity. I plan on mixing long fiber sphagnum moss orchid bark into the clay and coating it with the the sphagnum moss.

I currently have no background, just live plants...now the green tree frogs spend their time on the birds nest fern rather than the glass...with the gray happy on his favorite spot on the branch.

Any thoughts? Other background ideas?...I did do a spray expanding foam background once...it was awesome...but took forever to let the chemical odors gas out...and this product was made for ponds, ready for use in 24hrs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've had these guys for about 9 months...so still new compared to the 17yrs of aquarium experience I have.
    BTW, I make my own watercolor paints...and have a good deal of info on pigments, binders, sealants, adhesives etc... feel free to ask about any of these subjects as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Louie

Default Re: Clay background ok for American green tree frogs and gray tree frogs?

You could just go with Black poster paper on the rear of tank, scotch tape it in place or a corckbark panel cut to fit inside the tank.

Default Re: Clay background ok for American green tree frogs and gray tree frogs?

clay will be safe, but needs to be kept moist, otherwise it will dry up and crumble on you. that is why it is used primarily in dart tanks, where humidity is kept at such high levels.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri