Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 29 gallon build log

J Teezy

Default Re: 29 gallon build log

this project got put aside for a long time since I was waiting on the 24" cube tank which will be my main show tank now. Being bored I decided to resurrect this 29 gallon from the dead. I will most likely be selling it once the background is finished. The majority of the cocofiber is on just finished it a few minutes ago. Will have to do some touch up work once its on dry and cured but here it is for now. Its laying on its back for now to let the silicone and cocofiber adhere. I'll get better ones when its dry. One thing i can say is that having to do silicone and cocofiber in tank that doesn't have front opening doors is a pain the $#@. If I ever did this again on a top opening tank i would do the cocofiber on the background with it outside the tank then silicone it in once it was done.
    Name:  20130211_124840.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  116.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ndame88

I agree what a pain, especially towards the bottom, you can't see what you are doing.

J Teezy

exactly. I have a cave on the bottom corner and that was a pain in the butt. Had to goop the silicone on my fingers and just rub it around inside it the best i could. never again!!! will i do cocofiber on a top opening tank with it in the tank already.

ndame88

Need Gumby arms so you can look through the bottom while smearing the silicone. Another lesson for me was to use the black pond GS, so if your arms can't reach every nook and cranny, it won't look as bad if you miss some spots. Well worth the extra $$ to use pond GS.

J Teezy

yeah i used the pond version of GS with black silicone to adhere the cocofiber

purpleturtle89

Hey, what type of grout do you use? Do you add paint to it to get it that grey colour, and what paints should I use, you've inspired me and I don't wanna kill my frogs lol thanks

J Teezy

Cheapest non sanded grout they had at home depot. Didnt add any paintto rhe grout that was its color. Used non toxic acrylic paint. Used a couple different painting techniques. First whole thing black. Then sponge painted on dark grey then dry brushed a light grey

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

J Teezy

Let me add if i was ever going to do a build like this again, i would use foam coat from hotwirefoamfactory.com instead of grout.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by J Teezy View Post
    Cheapest non sanded grout they had at home depot. Didnt add any paintto rhe grout that was its color. Used non toxic acrylic paint. Used a couple different painting techniques. First whole thing black. Then sponge painted on dark grey then dry brushed a light grey

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD
    The acryllic paint, did you get it at the home depot.

J Teezy

Hobby lobby

J Teezy

almost done with the background
    Name:  20130218_133952.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  133.1 KB

J Teezy

she's almost done!!! Couple tiny spots that i need to hit with some coco then it's done. I planned to sell this tank but if I can figure out an easy way to remove the front panel of glass and install sliding doors, I may just have to keep it

Name:  20130220_190512.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  98.4 KB

Wolfie64

This looks so cool. I am working on a project like this but made it more complicated for myself by adding a water feature which is taking some serious thought to work out. Can't wait to see the grout layer.

maxQ

Josh, I have absolutely loved this build. I have read and re-read every word and looked at your pictures until I almost went blind. Awesome job ! I have a 18x18x18 sitting on my work bench waiting to get started, I will be using your build to go by and for pointers, I love how yours came out. My issue is, I have so many other questions that I have so expect me to hit you up. : ) For instance, how are you routing water lines to your pots if you plan to do that, which I do. GREAT JOB and Thanks for posting this.

J Teezy

This tank is not in use. Watering would have been handled by my mistking which is probably the best gadget for a tank! Mistking and my Ecozone controller were great investments

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information