Thread: Feeder Cricket Escape!!

PB

Default Feeder Cricket Escape!!

I woke up this morning to an unfortunate sight. I noticed that my crickets had escaped from my cricket keeper during the night. I would say roughly about 8 - 12 all together.
    I'm sure that this has happened to someone before and seeing as how I'm an amateur and all that I was just wondering if I should be concerned about anything? Do they do any damage? Will they eventually die? Will they breed? Any help would be most appreciated.
    Me and my fiancee are going to do a quick sweep of the basement to see if we can find a couple. We are just worried about long-term consequences for our mistake.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Feeder Cricket Escape!!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I woke up this morning to an unfortunate sight. I noticed that my crickets had escaped from my cricket keeper during the night. I would say roughly about 8 - 12 all together.
    I'm sure that this has happened to someone before and seeing as how I'm an amateur and all that I was just wondering if I should be concerned about anything? Do they do any damage? Will they eventually die? Will they breed? Any help would be most appreciated.
    Me and my fiancee are going to do a quick sweep of the basement to see if we can find a couple. We are just worried about long-term consequences for our mistake.
    They will not breed unless you have a warm damp trays of sand laying around your house :P There's really nothing to be concerned about, they'll die eventually. If you're grossed out by the thought of them being alive in your house you could lay out some glue board traps in dark places. You can even bait the glue boards with food.

PB

Thanks Cam. We managed to round up a few, but the search continues. Is there anyway they could hop up a flight of stairs? Just wondering cuz our roommates wouldn't appreciate crickets hopping around our kitchen.

S13

I haven't had a mass escape like that but the stragglers get rounded up by my cats then I just go over to see what they are playing with and snatch them up

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Is there anyway they could hop up a flight of stairs?
    They could easily climb up carpeted or concrete stairs, anything with a rough or porous surface for them to hook their tiny claws into. They likely wouldn't make it up any slick surfaces like finished wood, metal, laminant, tile, etc.

PB

Thanks guys. Our cat is a master at hunting insects so I hope he will find a couple.

Have you repaired the problem with your cricket keeper so this won't happen again?

Breeding shouldn't be a problem, they need a suitable egg laying area as Cam mentioned and you'll hear the chirping which then makes the males easy to find.

PB

Yeah, needless to say we learned our lesson. A little duct tape here and there and no more prison breaks. Got some more crickets and our pacman is happy as can be. Thanks! you guys rock!

Thread Information