Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dart pics

nx2ured

Default Dart pics

Since I am new here, I thought I'd post some pics of a few of my babies. Hope you enjoy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Dart pics

Love the terribilis. Definitely one of my favorite species of darts. I'm off to Costa Rica on Thursday. I'll have to get some pics of the pumilios down there, they are absolutely stunning.

Alex

Kurt

I love the very first tinc. I get all confused over the names of all the different colour morphs of Dendrobates tinctorius. What kind is it?
    Are darts all that you keep?
    I have 3 myself, two "azureus" and one Suriname cobalt tinc. Plus twenty other frogs, some of which can be seen in my profile.
    Last edited by Kurt; March 4th, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: forgot to italicize

nx2ured

Hi Kurt,
    I only keep darts, and most of those are Tincs. The one in the first pic is an oyapock (one of the dwarf tincs). Man, you have tons of frogs huh? Where do you find time for all of those? I had lots more and decided to focus on tnhe larger Tincs because they are much bolder than other darts.

Kurt

Thankfully they are not as much work as darts. I also have 15 snakes, 1 lizard, 2 turtles, 4 salamanders, 11 fish, and 5 scorpions.

nx2ured

Goodness, darts are about the easiest thing I have ever kept and I am even a bit anal about it. I wipe my glass down once a week (because I like to have a clear view), spray once or twice a week, and feed daily/every other day depending on the season. Much easier than a lot of other pets! LOL What are the requirements for some of your frogs?

Kurt

I feed most of my frogs one a week, more if they seem to need it. I also keep the enclosures as simple as possible, plastic plants, paper town or sphagnum substrates. I use a lot of plastic "critter keepers", a few glass aquariums, and some Rubbermaid boxes.
    I find treefrogs (the biggest groups of frogs I keep) need good ventilation, so no Rubbermaid boxes or glass tops for them. Most of the treefrogs are kept on paper towels, with a few exceptions on sphagnum. Once a day all "open air" enclosures are sprayed down with distilled water.
    I keep the fire-bellied toad in Rubbermaid boxes with water about two inches deep. There are plastic plants and foam trays to rest on. I feed them outside their enclosures, crickets drown too easily.
    Terrestrail frogs are kept on sphagnum. So this would be all my Bufonids, dart frogs, and Microhylids. Salamanders are also kept this way.

Here is the complete list of my amphibians
    1 Ambystoma tigrinum mavortium, barred tiger salamander
    1 Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum, blotched tiger salamander
    2 Tylototriton shanjing, emperor newt

5 Bombina orientalis, fire-bellied toad
    1 Ollotis alvaria , Colorado River toad
    1 Anaxyrus debilis insidior, western green toad (my avatar)
    3 Dendrobates tinctorius, dyeing poison dart frog (two azureus, one cobalt)
    2 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus, clown treefrog
    1 Hyla cinerea, green treefrog
    2 Litoria caerulea, White's treefrog
    4 Agalychnis callidryas, red-eyed leaf frog
    1 Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis, tiger-legged monkey frog
    1 Leptopelis sp., big-eyed treefrog
    3 Dyscophus guineti, false tomato frog
    1 Phrynomantis bifasciatus, red-banded rubber frog

nx2ured

Would it be possible to post a few pics of your pets Kurt? I would love to check them out. What are the scorpions like (not that I want any, but I think they would be neat). I'll see if I can find some pics of a couple of my dart tanks for you too.

Lisa

nx2ured

Here is a pic of my frogroom (It was supposed to keep all my frogs confined to one room...yeah right) and some random pics of various tanks throughout my house.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm envious of that room. Unfortunately, I think it might be bigger than my room right now. Hahah. Its very nice and your setups look incredible.

Alex

Kurt

Love the frog room, I need one of those. Of course mine would be mostly filled with treefrogs, but there would be darts and toads as well. My frogs mostly live in my bedroom and one of the red-eyes likes to keep me from sleeping by singing the night away. On top of that I think one of my tomato frogs is starting to do the same. There are pics of some of my frogs in my profile.
    What I really want to get is some Hypsiboas punctatus (formerly Hyla punctata.) They have been showing up a lot lately on price lists as "South American glass frogs", which they are not. Speaking of glass frogs, has anyone ever seen Centrolene ilex for sale? They are awesome and they are a true glass frog. I just love the eyes.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I don't recall ever having seen Centrolene ilex available, and I this point I doubt they will be. Most of those Central American countries have stringent export rules. Your best bet for a "true" glass frog is going to be one of the South American species I think. I do wish they were more readily available, they're awesome frogs.

Alex

Kurt

I really don't have any interest in any of the glass frogs other than Centrolene ilex. Of course I didn't even know they existed till last year when I went to the North American Amphibian Conference. I bought a book on glass frogs and fell in love with ilex. They have been on my fantasy want list ever since, along with Taricha rivularis, Agalychnis annae, and Ambystoma opacum. Unfortunately for me, marbled salamanders are illegal in Massachusetts and suspect they are in Connecticut as well. Taricha rivularis may be possible to get, but I have never seen them on any price list.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've actually had A. opacum... Its legal here to have up to 3 in your possession. As for A. annae, I know they're in the hobby. As I understand it Sandfire Dragon Ranch used to sell quite a few but it doesn't look like they carry them any longer. They may pop up occasionally. I'm pretty sure T. rivularis is never seen unless it gets confused with T.granulosa, but John would know more about that. I'm pretty sure Centrolene doesn't come in though. There may be other species of "true" glass frogs (not Hyla) that come in. Which book did you get, the one on Costa Rica?

Alex

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Now you've got me thinking about my dream list. This is just amphibs because altogether it would be way too long.

Neurergus sp. (kaiseri, strauchii, etc)
    Psuedotriton ruber ruber
    Dicamptodon sp.

Agalychnis moreletii
    Dendrobates (Oophaga) pumilio "Blue Jeans", histrionicus, lehmanni
    Cruziohyla sp.
    Anotheca spinosa
    Atelopus sp.
    Theloderma sp.

The list really could go on forever, but thats the short end of it. Most of those species are available too, i'm just not able to get any of them right now (or in the near future for that matter).

Kurt

Well, here is the complete want list for me. I don't expect to get them all, but I do plan on getting some of them.

Herpele multiplicata

Ambystoma cingulatum
    Ambystoma opacum
    (illegal in MA)
    Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi
    Pseudoeurycea bellii
    Pseudotriton ruber ruber
    Neurergus kaiseri
    Salamandra salamandra
    (had some, they died of Chytridiomycosis)

Taricha rivularis
    Taricha torosa (had some, they died on the way home from the White Plains show. It was very hot that day)

Triturus marmoratus

Anaxyrus punctatus
    Melanophryniscus stelzneri
    Nannophryne variegata
    Centrolene ilex
    Ameerega trivittata
    Dendrobates tinctorius
    "Oyapock"
    Oophaga pumilio "blue jeans"
    Agalychnis annae
    Cruziohyla craspedopus
    Hypsiboas punctatus
    Litoria chloris
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii
    Trachycephalus resinifictrix
    Mantella aurantiaca
    Mantella baroni
    Mantella cowani
    Mantella expectata
    Mantella laevigata
    Phrynomantis microps
    Rhacophorus reinwardtii

jody

wow, what a room. your tanks are beautiful. is every one heated?

nx2ured

The tanks aren't heated, just room temp. I would love to build a new garage and use the one I have now as my "dart room"...he he

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've been thinking about the layout of my dream frogroom now... I guess I should get a house first.

Kurt-I've had my fair share of amphibs die after White Plains. That show is quite the madhouse. Afterwards I always go over to the City Limits Diner to relax from the stress of beating my way through all those people. I can't believe that last show all I came home with was another snake hook, I usually can't resist getting something.

Alex

justin shockey

sick i have some whites a m/f

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information