Thread: URGENT! Gray tree frog ate Japanese Ladybeetle! PLEASE HELP!

InfinitysDaughter

Exclamation URGENT! Gray tree frog ate Japanese Ladybeetle! PLEASE HELP!

I came home tonight from work and found my gray puffed up with a hard belly. When I pulled her out of the tank she started kicking back with her hind legs but there was no "omph" to it yaknow, more like flailing (which she dosn't do).

Asian (or Japanese) Ladybeetles have a very distinct smell when they die because they secrete a poison (which is really there blood...ew) to keep predators from eating them. I have a terrible problem with these things getting into my room but I never thought they could get into the tanks of my frogs. But Helly smells like the poison they give off and when I looked there is a small gap at the side of the door to there tank that the frogs could never get out of but these beetles could probably get in.

She is currently in a warm bath to help move things along much faster in hopes that if I can get the thing out of her system faster then she'll be fine but I dont know if that will work.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to help her? She is my oldest frog and I care a lot about her I dont know if I can bare to watch her die a slow death because of these atrocious little insects.

Please please PLEASE if you have any advice PLEASE tell me!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: URGENT! Gray tree frog ate Japanese Ladybeetle! PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    I came home tonight from work and found my gray puffed up with a hard belly. When I pulled her out of the tank she started kicking back with her hind legs but there was no "omph" to it yaknow, more like flailing (which she dosn't do).

Asian (or Japanese) Ladybeetles have a very distinct smell when they die because they secrete a poison (which is really there blood...ew) to keep predators from eating them. I have a terrible problem with these things getting into my room but I never thought they could get into the tanks of my frogs. But Helly smells like the poison they give off and when I looked there is a small gap at the side of the door to there tank that the frogs could never get out of but these beetles could probably get in.

She is currently in a warm bath to help move things along much faster in hopes that if I can get the thing out of her system faster then she'll be fine but I dont know if that will work.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to help her? She is my oldest frog and I care a lot about her I dont know if I can bare to watch her die a slow death because of these atrocious little insects.

Please please PLEASE if you have any advice PLEASE tell me!

Usually soaking for extended periods is used to treat toxing out syndrome. For bloat you can use Epsom Salt in a bath. 1 teaspoon per cup of water. It may also absorb some of the toxin while absorbing the bloat. Worth a try.

InfinitysDaughter

Wow. I didn't think we would have Epsom Salt but woot we did. I mixed up some of the salt water. Do you think it could be ok to soak a paper towl in it and put her in a quarantine tank overnight? Shes getting tired of the baths and keeps crawling up to hang out of the water but I dont want to put too much water in since grays are not good swimmers.

And over protective mommy may have jumped the gun a wee bit. Shes had several warm baths and shes looking a bit better. The first washed off the skin she was shedding (it was discolored and foul smelling so probably why she didn't just eat it) and the second seemed to help calm her quite a bit. She only slightly smells like the beetles now instead of the overpowering stank of about an hour ago.

InfinitysDaughter

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    Wow. I didn't think we would have Epsom Salt but woot we did. I mixed up some of the salt water. Do you think it could be ok to soak a paper towl in it and put her in a quarantine tank overnight? Shes getting tired of the baths and keeps crawling up to hang out of the water but I dont want to put too much water in since grays are not good swimmers.
    Ok maybe this isn't needed? Have her in the salted water now and while shes still puffed up her belly dosn't feel hard anymore. I'm keeping her out of her normal talk and away from her tank mate (Percy is in a quarantine tank too just in case there are more of those beetles in there home) just to be sure she dosn't pass any of the toxins to the littler green.

She still seems a bit disoriented and clumsy though. She keeps trying to hop on something and then falls on her back and proceeds to flail about...

Nationality
    [United States]

Keep a close eye on her. She may need a trip to the vet. Epsom salt is for soft bloat which is usually fluid buildup. The bath drawls it out through their skin. I would find a way to prevent the beetles from getting in her tank.

InfinitysDaughter

This morning I woke up extra early to check on her and she was swollen right back up to what she was last night including the awful smell. More skin seems to be coming off too... I warmed up the salt solution and put her back in the bath in hopes to help but I may be forgoing bible study to take her to petsmart in hopes that they can help. There isn't a really good herp doc around here. Sometimes banfeild gets lucky but I just dont have a lot of money to pay a vet right now.

I think I'll mix up another batch of pedialte and water. That was what her first and second baths were last night and she seemed to react much better to them for removing the toxin and then the salt bath after when her belly isn't as hard.

My mum and I are sealing up that crack on there tank today after I pull it all apart to make sure there are no more bugs in it. I should have known they would go for the tanks. I put in my window air conditioner (and mum turned on the house one downstairs) so now the only warm humid place in the house are the frog tanks. >.< This is all my fault. :/

InfinitysDaughter

Helen Of Tree died today Monday March 19th, 2012 at 7:20 CST.

I suppose Azrael was a death omen, just not for herself. I should take solace in the face she lived much longer than anyone expected her to in captivity but I still feel its my fault. I should have known those damn bugs would go for there tanks and find some way in and that she would eat them. She'll eat anything that she can fit in her mouth.

Good night little girl. I hope you were happy for the 9 months I had you.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry for your loss...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm really sorry for your loss. She is in a better place now. You did your best to save her and she could not ask for more.

InfinitysDaughter

Thanks for the support guys. <3 And thank you grif for trying to help. I just think as soon as she got that bug it was all over. I've totally dismantled, washed in searing hot water, and re-did the entire enclosure to make sure Percy dosn't get into anything and sealed what holes I could find big enough for those things to get in. And Azriel has a new home too since the store didn't carry the right size replacement lid for her tank (it had a few holes in it too).

I think I'm going to raise a batch of gray tadpols this spring in honor of Helly. Percy will need a new tank mate (and of course Azy is out of the question) soon because she acts a little neurotic when shes alone for too long. I put a fake frog in with her thats about the same size as Helly was so I hope that will help but its not the same.

Thread Information