Thread: Setup questions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Setup questions

I have two smallish male "Candy" Frogs (didn't find out they were dyed till after we drove an hour home) I've had horrible luck in the past with ACFs. My last pair, one managed to escape, and I thought I found him in time, but I was too late, and the other one simply disappeared once I'd set him up in a 10 gallon. So Pinky and Brainz are currently set up in a 1 gal KK (cleaned every other day) while my fiance was borrowing my 10 to medicate one of his bettas. I'm getting my tank back today, and it'll only be temporary till we move and I have room for a larger aquarium. my goal is eventually a 30L or 40L. Provided that they can still be housed together as adults?

I've read that with just about any tank, it shouldn't be filled to the top, shallow water is easier for them. I also have some silk plants that create platforms near the surface for them to hang out on. Brainz really seems to appreciate those. I have 2 small unused terra cotta pots in their tank for them to hide in. How many inches of water should they have if they're both < 3". What kind of filter does everyone use? I cannot figure that part out for the life of me. Last frog had an undergravel (which was the 1st place I looked when he poofed) And I'm not sure if I can use an in-tank filter, or what size it should even be?

Also, they've been eating live brine shrimp and shrimp pellets since they've been with me. They won't touch the Frog and Tadpole bites. Is there anything else I should be feeding them?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'd really like to make sure these two make it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Setup questions

As far as the depth is concerned - young frogs should be kept in less than a foot, but adults do fine in deep water and the extra volume helps dilute waste.

For African Clawed frogs you need a minimum of 10 G / 40 L PER FROG - so 20 G / 80 L for the pair.
    Anything but an undergravel filter is fine (hang on the back, internal, canister all work well)

Keep trying with the frog and tadpole bites and don't offer variety. They will eat when they get hungry and realize there isn't going to be a buffet raining down.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Setup questions

I'd be so scared of their toes getting stuck in the filter!

If I'm using a 10 gallon, even though the boys are still little, I can fill it up enough to use an HOB? Maybe I'll cover the intake with pantyhose to keep them from getting stuck and drowning?

so I should only be feeding them F&T bites?

Thread Information