Thread: Questions about the most popular frog on this forum...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Questions about the most popular frog on this forum...

The White's/Australian Green Treefrog. Well, maybe the red eye is most popular. I dunno.
    I just know they're cute, pudgy and I want one. :P

How loud ARE they, on a scale of one-ten? One being a toilet flush and ten being a loud motorcycle or a siren.

When do they typically call? At night? My last frog only called in the morning (like a dolt.)

Will one fit comfortably in an 8-10 gallon tank? Unfortunately, my tank is horizontal. If they're super "climby" I'll look into some other variety of frog.

What sort of accessories do they require besides a thermometer? Do they need a humidifier or some sort of a heat lamp?

Best substrate and tank decor for a White's?

Best place to get one? The PetsMart and PetCo around here both sell them. Does one sell healthier frogs than the other? I want something that's got a good chance of living several years.

Do males or females make better pets?

Thanks for answering. I'm hoping to have some new life in my tank by this summer.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: Questions about the most popular frog on this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyM View Post
    How loud ARE they, on a scale of one-ten? One being a toilet flush and ten being a loud motorcycle or a siren.

When do they typically call? At night? My last frog only called in the morning (like a dolt.)

Will one fit comfortably in an 8-10 gallon tank? Unfortunately, my tank is horizontal. If they're super "climby" I'll look into some other variety of frog.

What sort of accessories do they require besides a thermometer? Do they need a humidifier or some sort of a heat lamp?

Best substrate and tank decor for a White's?

Best place to get one? The PetsMart and PetCo around here both sell them. Does one sell healthier frogs than the other? I want something that's got a good chance of living several years.

Do males or females make better pets?
    I just got my first whites so I'll answer what I can.

The first 2 questions, I do not know.

Number 3, I would say a young whites would be ok in that type of terrarium but an older Whites will want a 20+ gallon and preferably taller rather then wider because they are tree frogs so they are arboreal in nature.

A heat lamp is a must. It keeps there temps proper, helps them digest there food (or so I'm told), and gives them a good sense of day night because they are nocturnal for the most part. A humidity gauge is also a must to make sure your keeping them at the right humidity levels but a water bowl and regular misting should keep the humidity levels proper so you dont need a humidifier.

The whites guide at the top of the forum (or here ->Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea) will give you 3 different types of set ups you can choose from that are good for whites.

I couldn't tell you exactly which is better, petsmart or petco. In my area, petco is disgusting. There tanks are dirty and never cleaned and most of there animals never live past there warranty. I work at a petsmart so I am a bit biased but I have heard that other petsmarts are not nearly as clean or knowledgeable as ours is (even employees that have transferred to our store say we are much better then other stores). Your best bet is to check out both and see which one has cleaner tanks, most knowledgeable caretakers, and healthiest looking animals in general (not just the frogs but furries and fish too).

I dont know which is better, males or females. I suppose its up to if your interested in listening to calls or not. I've never really seen anyone say that one is a better pet then the other.

Hope I helped a little. ^^

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You did a bit. Hrm...looks like if I get a white's, I'd need a new tank. I'll have to do some thinking. They're so cute! but my old tank is perfectly fine...
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

InfinitysDaughter

Petsmart carries the zoo med naturalistic terrariums for a pretty decent price (though you could try amazon and craigs list or some other sites to see if you can find better prices) and there great. Eco terra (I think thats the brand) sells roughly the same tanks but they come with all the accessories for a first time frog owner so there a bit pricier.

Both are awesome because they have front doors that allow you to reach in at the frogs level rather then reaching down on them. I dont know about all frogs but my 3 frogs have always seemed more nervous and shrink away from me when I reach down on them but they are more likely to climb on my hands on there own if I reach in at there level.

Here's a pic of both of the tanks I have. My whites is in the larger one.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Part of my issue is space. If I were to get a square shaped tank, it would have to sit on the floor. I have my current (empty) tank on top of my desk, it's just small enough to fit on the top shelf. Something square wouldn't quite work. Unless, I were to put it on the floor and then my dog might get in it...

Maybe I'll switch to plan B and get a Firebelly. They fit in a ten gallon just fine.

InfinitysDaughter

Tis up to you. Firebellies are awesome to look at! I love sneaking over to there tank at work and watching them. There bright and beautiful and so cute! Be sure to check out the care guide in that forum to be sure you got everything (they need a water filter that wont suck them up if there small).

I just think there a little less fun then a whites cuse there really poisonous so be sure to wash your hands before and really really wash your hands after interacting with them (cleaning, moving things, handling, ect).

Thread Information