Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a tree frog in grocery cabbage, not sure how to help

ak737

Default Re: Found a tree frog in grocery cabbage, not sure how to help

I may very well have to do that. When I gave him the pedialyte bath he seemed to relax and then perk up. He even moved himself around in it a little bit. Then put him in the tank with crickets. He seemed interested and opened his mouth a few times and stretched, but hasn't tried to get one yet. They move away from him so I might have to chill them so he can make an attempt. If that doesn't work would a honey bath help to potentially get him mobile or more alert or maybe give him a caloric boost? I know I need to be patient but I also don't want the crickets to injure him. For now there are three in the tank and the lights are out except the heat lamp. Was really looking forward to knowing how hot it was in there today, but the thermometer i bought isn't working. :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

You might try using tweezers to hold the crickets in front of his face. You have to be careful because if there the small ones it is very hard to do without squishing the crickets but aim for a back leg and dangle them in front of his mouth.

I dont know the honey vs pedialte. I've always just used pedialte. It could take a few baths before he fully perks up. Just make sure its warm water. And I would get a new thermometer as soon as you can. And a hydrometer if you can find it. That will tell you if the humidity is good (though mostly if you have a water dish and mist then your good but with a sicky its always best to be extra sure).

ak737

Here's a quick update. He, Newton (I know a silly name but my fiance said it and he repeatedly likes it), is mobile. I'm not sure if he ate or not, from what I can tell he hasn't as far as the crickets I've put in vs those found dead. It is possible he ate one though and I am just off because of a number of crickets misunderstanding. Either way he looks a lot better. He has turned from pale yellow green to dark green to nearly brown. He went from no movement, to a couple inches tops, to the top of the aquarium on the climbing log. If I didn't know the numbers I'd swear he ate. If not, I'm hopeful that his new mobility will assist him in that. We will try slowing the crickets down for him again if he is still unable to get one. It seems his chances are much higher though. Thank you guys for all of your help. I'm sure I'll still have questions, but this has been a great frog rescue 101 faculty.

InfinitysDaughter

He sounds like hes doing AWESOME! Dark green and brown are the right colors for these guys so knowing hes changed from that sickly yellow to brown and green means a lot. Its probable that he went into a kind of suspended animation in the cabbage cooler and in that state they dont need fed. He should start eating soon I'm sure.

I'm so happy that hes doing so much better for you! It sounds like Newton (I think thats an adorable name!) is is wonderful hands and will only get better and better in your care.

ak737

One last update, I'm sure he's eating now because I just witnessed it. Put a cricket on the log near him and pretty much as soon as the lid went down he pounced and got it. 100% turn around from where he started for sure. Now as long as any little cuts or bruises heal and I don't mess anything up I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine. Again, thanks everyone for your help in rescuing this cute little guy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's awesome! Congrats!
    Every other feeding you'll need to dust the crickets with herp/amphibian calcium with vitamin D 3 powder and once a week dust with herptivite powder. This will prevent deficiencies which could make them weak and sick.

It sounds like you're doing a great job!

Post some pics when he's a bit less stressed .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

asid61

I can't call this "heartwarming", because it's a frog, but it is a great thread.
    I wonder how many people get frogs in their lettuce? You, and the frog, are very lucky.

ak737

Default Update: Re: Found a tree frog in grocery cabbage, not sure how to help

I know it's been a while but just in case anyone was still interested and just for fun here's a picture of a much larger, well adjusted Newton. He's growing and is showing himself to be quite a little fighter(literally, he punches me and everything else in his way when I take him out to clean.) Thanks again everyone for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Update: Re: Found a tree frog in grocery cabbage, not sure how to help

Quote Originally Posted by ak737 View Post
    I know it's been a while but just in case anyone was still interested and just for fun here's a picture of a much larger, well adjusted Newton. He's growing and is showing himself to be quite a little fighter(literally, he punches me and everything else in his way when I take him out to clean.) Thanks again everyone for your help.
    That is so awesome! So glad to hear he is doing great good job on saving this little cutie!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Jess

Default Re: Update: Re: Found a tree frog in grocery cabbage, not sure how to help

Thank you so much for the update he looks wonderful!!!

InfinitysDaughter

Oh wow! Hes gotten so big! I'm so happy hes doing so well!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Awe ! Great job!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information