Thread: Suggestions/Opinions for a 50 gallon tank

Default Suggestions/Opinions for a 50 gallon tank

I have a friend who has a 50 gallon tank. She's trying to decide on a type of lizard or frog to put in there. She seems to be leaning more towards frogs. She thought about pacmans, but they cannot be kept together, right? (I had been told they could not because they would fight.) Then we thought about using a divider and having a water area in the middle and then a land area on the ends of the tank. But another friend is trying to convince her that it is a waste of a 50 gallon.

So...suggestions and opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Amphibians

Default Re: Suggestions/Opinions for a 50 gallon tank

Are you saying that you want three different animals in the three sections? Cause i think that would be cool and it should be safe, as long as there is no contact with the species and they don't share any water. I was actually thinking about doing a similar thing with my 55 gallon, turning it into three sections and having the middle section be full of water with fish.

She was thinking more like having just two sections and using a divider like you could use in an aquarium full of fish, so it would be one large pool in the middle divided in two for two of the same frogs that can't be together (which I had heard about pacman...not 100% sure that's true). One large pool in the middle, divided in two, and then land on each side.

But I am interested now...how were you going to set yours up?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    She seems to be leaning more towards frogs. She thought about pacmans, but they cannot be kept together, right? (I had been told they could not because they would fight.)
    Not to worry, they don't fight. They eat each other!

For a tank that size you might want to consider a few big toads. The candidates are the Colorado River toad - Ollotis alvaria, the rococo toad - Chaunus schneideri, the marine toad - Chaunus marina, and the smooth-sided toad - Rhaebo guttatus.

The Colorado River toad can be expensive.
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...el-lifeform=ne

The rococo is very expensive and makes the Colorado River toad look cheap.

The marine or cane toad is cheap but ugly.

The smooth-sided is a little more expensive than the marine, but no where near the first two toads discussed in price. I think it is the more attractive of the four toads.

I don't think the cane toad is that ugly. I liked all of them though. I'm still sticking with tree frogs. But my friend won't find those in this area, I believe (though I have seen cane toads for sell). Originally, she wanted a chinese water dragon, until I told her more about them. Now she's switched to frogs, but she has a 50 gallon, so she wants something that will get a pretty nice size.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A army of white's? How much is she willing to spend on them (total not per animal)?

Amphibians

Well if your still interesting in my idea, you could get some dividers from your local pet store big enough, and then just take some aquarium safe silicone and seal up the cracks. Give it a couple days to dry and your all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    A army of white's? How much is she willing to spend on them (total not per animal)?
    I'm not sure. The water dragon she wanted originally was $45, and I think pacmans are $25 and she was thinking of two of them. I don't think she likes the white's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibians View Post
    Well if your still interesting in my idea, you could get some dividers from your local pet store big enough, and then just take some aquarium safe silicone and seal up the cracks. Give it a couple days to dry and your all set.

That sounds cool if it would work.

Thread Information