Thread: HELP is my bromeliad in trouble?

J Teezy

Default HELP is my bromeliad in trouble?

I bought this bromeliad on sunday march 11, 2012 at a reptile show from the plant people who are always there. They told me it was a fireball and will reden up with enough light.

I'm worried something is going bad with it. A couple of the leaves are starting to curl inward and one of them as a brown spot kind of looks like a burn mark. Is my plant on the verge of disaster or i'm i just worrying too much? I don't want it to die.

water stays in its cup from the mistings.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: HELP is my bromeliad in trouble?

I've never had a bromeliad, but I've had lots of other plants. The leaves you're pointing at are the oldest leaves on the plant (because they're on the far outside). It's normal for old leaves to fall off of most plants, especially after being moved. Most plants suffer from transplant shock. I realize the bromeliad doesn't really get "planted" but it's probably just adjusting to the new light and air conditions. If the new leaves in the middle were deformed or unhealthy, then you'd have something to worry about.

J Teezy

well the two other leaves died so i trimmed them off, but now i'm wondering about the rest of the plant. The leaves are getting wavy

I'm not sure if this is typical or not, my thumb is not too green. My pothos seems to be doing fine as its sprouting new stems and my crypt is starting to gain some red color, but this brom has me baffled. It has sprouted some fine roots that are reaching out and attaching to the drift wood but the way the leaves are going i'm not sure if it needs some kind of special attention

KingCam

Again, I know nothing about broms specifically, but root growth is always a good sign!! It would be nice if someone who actually knows something about bromeliads would respond, eh?

velcroshaman

It'll be fine. Plants are sensitive to changes in environment. The leaves died because the plant needed to put its energy into root production, and it only has a finite amount of energy. Waxy leaves are a good sign, not a bad one. Don't mess with it, let it adjust to its new home, and stop worrying. Frogs I'm just now learning, but I've been an ethnobotanist for decades. Trust me when I say your plant is fine. The more you mess with it at this point, the more stress you're putting on it, and the longer it'll take to recover.

Thread Information