Thread: FOOD! need help with xenopus laevis (African clawed frog) dietary needs + likes

Steven Prince

Lightbulb FOOD! need help with xenopus laevis (African clawed frog) dietary needs + likes

Im a fairly new ACF owner (December 23rd 2011) and all seems to be going well in general swimming around a lot and eating from my hand etc
    but one HUGE thing i come up against time and time again is what to feed it,

in my months of ownership i have only tried my frog on a limited amount of things cause Im afraid to ill give him something that could harm him
    so i've only been feeding him stuff that ive seen they eat online,

he will speedily gobble up live earth worms, blood worms and tubifex worms and also frozen blood worms
    he wont touch floating or sinking reptile/amphibian sticks or the dried prawns i found in a mixed floating and dried tube

his staple diet has been of frozen blood worms with the occasional live worms but since joining this website i've finally found out that there are other types of bugs they can eat with to my surprise included moths ,
    so what i would really like to know is (other than a variety of worms) what is good for them to eat eg. woodlice?, crickets?, mealworms?, maggots? etc

i'd find any help extremely useful and look forward to your responses

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jakub T

Default Re: FOOD! need help with xenopus laevis (African clawed frog) dietary needs + likes

Hi Steven,

In spring and summer you can catch moths, woodlice and grasshoppers (occasionally and without legs, are hard and may harm). Mealworms are good, but only the white, freshly molted. Crickets - like grasshoppers, without legs. Maggots are bad as the food, I've heard that they can damage organs of the frog. Sometimes you can also give small fish (without spikes), such as guppies or small goldfish. Snails without shells (keelback slugs) are also very good food.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: FOOD! need help with xenopus laevis (African clawed frog) dietary needs + likes

Steven, read a few threads on the first page of this board. Countless times the same question has been asked. All the information is here.

Steven Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Jakub T View Post
    Hi Steven,

In spring and summer you can catch moths, woodlice and grasshoppers (occasionally and without legs, are hard and may harm). Mealworms are good, but only the white, freshly molted. Crickets - like grasshoppers, without legs. Maggots are bad as the food, I've heard that they can damage organs of the frog. Sometimes you can also give small fish (without spikes), such as guppies or small goldfish. Snails without shells (keelback slugs) are also very good food.
    thank you Jakub this information will be very helpful , im sure my frog will appreciate the variety in his diet (think its a boy cause of his croaking compared to recordings on the net)

Tony, i looked at quite a few past posts (starting with the oldest) but very little variety was mentioned and most keep saying pellet food that my frog ignores, i am new also to forums in general so who know, might be i missed a big list or something :/ a link to anouther good post
    (thanks again Jakub ) would be nice if you had any in mind

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

African clawed frogs are both effective predators and scavengers. They are one of the few frogs that can eat or be trained to eat prepared staple food, like Tetra's Repto-Min. They love worms and other small invertebrates too. Many people feed their ACFs a variety of foods, but I feed mine Repto-Min exclusively. My frogs are healthy and long lived. I have 6 ACFs that are over 12 years old.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Belgium]

I feed my frogs cockroaches, earthworms, bloodworms, crickets, flies...

xxianxx

Avoid feeding your ACF goldfish.

superphil92

Crickets and grasshoppers are great but take the legs off if you think it will harm your frog, guppies are great, Dont feed them goldfish or minnows( Like rosy reds) Because goldfish and minnows contain something that will stop your frog from getting the vitamins it needs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by superphil92 View Post
    Crickets and grasshoppers are great but take the legs off if you think it will harm your frog, guppies are great, Dont feed them goldfish or minnows( Like rosy reds) Because goldfish and minnows contain something that will stop your frog from getting the vitamins it needs.
    There has been some speculation that suggests guppies also have Thiaminese. I would avoid feeders all together. If you feel the need to feed fish use cut up raw salmon, tilapia, herring. Whenever we have salmon/tilapia (couple times a month) I usually cut a small piece off before cooking and cut it up for them. They love it and it is very nutritious.

Thread Information