Thread: Whites Tree Frog & Terrarium Suggestions...

Owler

Default Whites Tree Frog & Terrarium Suggestions...

Hiya, just joined this forum as an 8 month old WTF came into my possession last week

He seems active and healthy; however, this morning I came into my lounge to find him on the floor looking very dishevelled and dry with a coating of carpet fluff. I've cleaned him up and put him back in his tank but he's staying on the floor instead of his usual spot in the greenery and is not being very responsive to a wagging finger or cricket (he usually jumps about if anything gets close). I'm also concerned as he is constantly trying to break out of his tank if the lid is open.

Should I be worried?

Sorry, more **** questions (I keep reptiles but am an amphibian noob!) - he is croaking, I was under the impression that juveniles don't croak?

Also, with regards to terrariums - I have him in a ten gallon fish tank at the moment, upgrading to an Exo Terra 45x45x60. I want to go the whole shabang with a water feature and tropical plants and am at a loss for choice of pumps. Is it possible to house a submersible pump in a terrarium of this size? How restricted will cleaning be and is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Owler

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog & Terrarium Suggestions...

And here he is...

Name:  Sir Chuggington.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  46.0 KB

NatureLady

I personallly wouldn't want to eat or move much if I had been dehydrated and covered in carpet fluff either. I would leave the little guy alone and cover his tank up so he can destress. It should be ok if he didn't get too dehydrated.

All phibs will give a destress croak if they need too, juveniles will not sing.

Owler

Thanks for the reply, I did as you advised and he seems much more perky today.

I didn't know that, is there any chance of him croaking at 8 months? He's about 2 1/2 inches.

Owler

Hi guys, he's still croaking every day...please could someone confirm if this is normal behaviour for a frog of this age/size?

NatureLady

If he is doing it nightly and not doing it out of stressful event...then I would dare say you have a boy! Just because he isn't a full year old or full length does not equal not mature. Some tortoises will be sexually mature many many years before they reach full size (I know different species all together, but good example all the same).

Congrats ;D

Owler

Thanks for the reply, I tried some WTF recordings and it set him off on one so he must be a male!

Mine was a little less than a year old when I found out he was a boy lol, he would croak all the time, when my alarm went off for school, music from radio on,vacuuming, talking on phone, you name it lol now that mine is a fossil,he does it once in awhile haha sounds like a boy to me!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Thread Information