Thread: Hello from Queensland, Australia!

rosequoll

Default Hello from Queensland, Australia!

Hello! I'm soon to be a (once again) frog owner, hopefully next week as long as my babies arrive safe and sound from Melbourne. I've got the paperwork all sorted, just hoping that nothing goes wrong from here! I'm a nervous new mum, I guess.

Grew up the in the US and used to keep little green tree frogs in Florida, as well as having a large tadpole pond in my front yard that I'd fill with tadpoles I'd find in puddles and drainage ditches.

Living in Australia now I get to see a tonne of great little frogs around and have been wanting Magnificent Tree frogs (Litoria splendida) for years since I saw one during a reptile course I took a few years ago. Finally got my butt in gear and searched out some babies this week, and I'm getting 5 juveniles (2-4cm in size) from a breeder down south.

Working on their tank setup today, picking up an under tank heatmat tomorrow. My house stays pretty warm so I I'll be hooking it all up to a thermostat as well to make sure everything stays happy.

So far I picked up an ExoTerra Medium Terrarium (45 x 45 x 60 cm) which came with the compact top light and a background (and some other bits I wont use, but that's okay!). I'm not sold on the background but I'll use it for now. =) I've picked up a few plants (peace lilly and some small ferns) as well as LECA and Spag moss and I'll be getting it all sorted tomorrow!

Also working on making some custom 'mushroom ledges' for myself to use, just working out the details with making them safe for the froggies.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello from Queensland, Australia!

Welcome rosequoll! I'm in the same boat, preparing a tank for frogs right now. I also have a little peace lily in my tank, love 'em!

What an interesting species you chose! Really cute like a White's but with speckles.

What's LECA?

See you around.

rosequoll

LECA - Light expanded Clay aggregate. I think it's sold in the US under the name hydroballs? Basically just the light fired terracotta clay 'pebbles'. =)

I've always liked White's (and I can find them here in Brisbane, wild) but I wanted something a little more interesting. Babies should be here tomorrow (I may actually be dying of excitement. Can that happen? Erk!).

Jess

Hello from New Zealand nice to meet you. Be sure to take lots of pics of your babies to share with us!

rosequoll

Oh I will! I'm sure my facebook/twitter friends will be ready to choke me with my own frogs, so I'll have to post here instead. =)

I can't believe I have to wait another 24 hours. UGH!

Nano

Hello Rosequoll!

Welcome to the forums! I'm quite new here as well

I'm in Noosa so not to far away from you. We build our first tank a few weeks ago and we're learnign new things all the time! We have 6 baby GTFs and 8 baby Stripped Marshies.

Looking forward to see more posts from you and check out the tank you built!

Thread Information