Thread: Looking tp build BIG terrarium/vivarium advise needed on my first build

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Looking tp build BIG terrarium/vivarium advise needed on my first build

I have looked at a lot photos lately and noticed alot of different types of plants and moss in terrariums with gray tree frogs.
    I planning on building a larg enclosure soon it will have moving water in it that will slitly filtered.
    I am woundering what kind of substrate or dirt would be the best to use to keep live plants alive and maintain live and growing moss.
    Could I get moss from a forest preserve like off a tree trunk or the ground if ido is there a way to make sure no parasits are on before introducing it into the terrarium.
    What kind of watering of the plants would be needed if any with water flowing under the substrate with use of egg crate and Zoo Med Hydroballs. where can i get egg crate material?
    I plan on using 2 Zoo Med day time uv Bulbs for day time and 2 Exo Terras night glo for nights for the lighting.
    I plan having a arrow ivy plant a rubber tree plant and Mother In Law’s Tongue plant some moss and may me bamboo in the water and maybe ferns on the waters edge and may be other plants to be determind
    Size estamat for enclosure is 18 to 20 inches deep 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide and roughly 4 feet tall allready have the cabinet and glass just did not measure it yet.
    I noticed computer fans beeing use to help control hummidity what direction are they flowing in or out

Any help full hints and suggestions please thank you and some helpfull pic would help to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

J Teezy

Default Re: Looking tp build BIG terrarium/vivarium advise needed on my first build

well i can say is you get egg crate at home depot or lowes. Its actually light diffuser you will find it in the lighting section

when people use fans and how they use them usually depends on the frogs they are keeping. For instance in a dart frog setup people use fans usually to just circulate the air in the tank, not to blow it outside or bring outside air in. They circulate the air inside the tank to keep the glass from fogging up or getting condensation on it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Looking tp build BIG terrarium/vivarium advise needed on my first build

ok I will be getiing 3 gray and 3 green tree frog do I want the fan blowing in or out or do I want one in and one out and where would I need to place the in and where would I place the out I am planning on a larg set up almost 4 feet tall and about 3 feet wide with land and water

J Teezy

i'm not sure about the humidity and temp requirements of those but if they are like RETFs you need to have some kind of screened vented area to keep the right humidity and temperature. Fans aren't necessary, using them is something you'd have to experiment with. The most important thing is keeping your humidity and temps right, once you get that under control if you are getting condensation on the glass you'd probably want an internal fan that just circulates the air thats in the tank towards the glass to keep air moving on it. You probably not want to vent tank air out via fan because it would probably drop your temps very low and your humidity

Thread Information