Thread: New Owner that has been greatly misinformed.

unico

Default New Owner that has been greatly misinformed.

Hello, I picked up what I think is an african dwarf frog albino that has likely been died. Everytime I go into Petsupermarket (which was where I purchased my froggie) I have been told different things. So I would be forever grateful if someone could set me straight.
    1. How many frogs per a 10 gallon tank. I have read online 1 frog per gallon.
    2. Is there a difference between a acf and an adf and how to tell the difference between the two?
    3. What should they be eating. I was first told they would eat the flake food off the bottom, then to feed bloodworms and it didn't matter between freezedried and frozen, then I was told I may starve my frogs if I didn't get feeder guppies. and please tell me why all of what I have is unhealthy. I like to understand what I am doing.
    4. Will my frog eat all fish? or just small ones?
    5. Is it ok to keep my tank filled? or is it recommended to leave a gap at the top if so how far from the bottom of the tank rim should the water level be?
    6. Has anyones disappeared for days?
    Well, I'm sure I will come up with more, but this is a great start to help me out.

And yes, I do apologize for my ignorance as I should have researched this prior to buying my cutie.

Thank your for all your help in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Owner that has been greatly misinformed.

1. How many frogs per a 10 gallon tank. I have read online 1 frog per gallon.
    Your frog is not a dwarf. 1 frog per 10 gallon aquarium.
    2. Is there a difference between a acf and an adf and how to tell the difference between the two?
    http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/specie...edordwarf.html ---Yours is dyed. To my knowledge this is only done with ACFs.
    3. What should they be eating. I was first told they would eat the flake food off the bottom, then to feed bloodworms and it didn't matter between freezedried and frozen, then I was told I may starve my frogs if I didn't get feeder guppies. and please tell me why all of what I have is unhealthy. I like to understand what I am doing.
    No fish food, no feeders, feed a prepared diet like Reptomin, treat with thawed frozed mysis, krill, and store bought earthworms.
    4. Will my frog eat all fish? or just small ones?
    Whatever fits in it's mouth will be eaten. Again try to avoid feeders.
    5. Is it ok to keep my tank filled? or is it recommended to leave a gap at the top if so how far from the bottom of the tank rim should the water level be?
    Leave an inch or two. Get a secure lid, or modify the one you have to be secure.
    6. Has anyones disappeared for days?
    They like to hide, especially in a new environment. Give him time, he'll come around.
    Last edited by rodsboys; March 5th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

unico

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    No fish food, no feeders, feed a prepared diet like Reptomin, treat with thawed frozed mysis, krill, and store bought earthworms.
    How bad is it for them to eat feeder guppies? I've got about 10 or so in the tank now cause of my not knowing and petsupermarkets poor employee recommendations. What do you suggest I do with them. I have nothing else that will eat them nor do I have any other tanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

It is quite bad - - feeders are very ill kept and it takes only one ill fish to infect your whole tank. You risk infecting your frog every time you put an unquarantined fish in the tank. Besides that, they are not a nutritionally complete diet.

Can you post a picture of your frog please?
    The best way to tell the difference between an ACF and an ADF is to look at the front hands. If they have webbing between them like the back toes, then it is ADF. If there is no webbing and only 4 fingers, it is ACF.

A 10 gallon tank is appropriate for only ONE ACF.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you are in a bind with the feeders; take them out of the tank, throw them in a sandwhich bag with no water and freeze them. After he is eating a good pellited diet offer them as a treat once a week (1 fish thawed) until you get rid of them.

unico

definitely an acf, and looks like a little girl. It makes me angry that a corporate pet shop would sell as the wrong frog, but what can ya do other than complain. Which I think I will. I did have 2 but I havent seen one of them since last friday, so time will tell if it mysteriously escaped or has been evading me. I have sealed up my holes, and have an eye out for a 20 gallon tank. Thinking she was only a dwarf frog I thought I had plenty of room, now knowing she is an acf, I will work on a bigger home... bummer about the feeder guppies, I will have to complain about that also. I think I will send an email to corporate and tell them they need to inform their employees and label the froggies correctly.

Nationality
    [Canada]

What else is in your tank that is preventing you from seeing the other frog?

unico

I have a log for my pleco to hide in. Yesterday both frogs were missing, I stripped the tank of all fake plants took the log twisted it and rotated it and found nothing. 20 minutes later out was a froggy. so I don't know for sure if the other is in there or not. they are very very good hiders. but there was a hole in the top of the tank about 1.5 inches squared. so it is possible he jumped out and disappeared. but that would have to be one talented frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Unfortunately, big redflag here.

"PLECO"

What species of pleco do you have? None are small enough for anything under a 25-30 gallon. The common pleco, which sadly is sold very cheap as a baby and tiny....gets over a foot long and is needs a 100+gallon tank.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

unico

yes I am well aware my pleco will outgrow my tank, I have recently been trying to decide if I want to free him in a pond, find him a new home, or what... right now he is doing fine, but I am aware that he will be needing bigger accommodations. I have had him for 5 years or so, which makes the decision very difficult. If I choose to free him I want him to be a bit larger than he is right now so he has a fighting chance not to get eaten by a larger fish. Once again, I was a victim of sales. I should have got a cori cat. hope someone can learn from my mistake/mistakes in this post.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Don't ever release anything into the wild. There are so many reasons why that is wrong. And that poor pleco...a 10 gallon for 5 years? Really?

unico

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Don't ever release anything into the wild. There are so many reasons why that is wrong. And that poor pleco...a 10 gallon for 5 years? Really?
    Tony, I will first thank you for answering the questions I asked, though you didn't answer why in regards to the food. But I must state I do not appreciate you mucking up my thread by going off subject. You should have addressed me in a pm if you wanted to antagonize me. I will not address this comment. These posts will stay up for many years to help people out when they are looking for information and when you muck up a thread and take it off subject people don't get the information that they need.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The topic of this thread has clearly begun with your lack of knowledge and has come full circle. You are right; there is a lesson to be learned here, several to be exact. You could have saved everyone that has tried to help you a lot of time and effort by reading the first 5 threads in this section for starters. All of your questions are addressed there. Let alone the vast knowledge that exists on this site. Furthermore I could care less if you appreciate my comments. You are an environmental disaster waiting to happen. Do you know what that stunted pleco could do to the amphibians in your area now that it has come in contact with your frog? Do you know what it could possibly do to fish/plants in your area? Instead of asking repetitive questions take your own advice and READ. The information is HERE. There are countless experts on this site, published authors, scientist, and people who give a **** about their livestock and the environment. Use the resource and don't get defensive when you are corrected. If what I said got under your skin I hope you learn from it and not just shrug it off.
    I have 8 years of experience with amphibians over the last 15, 15 years of experience with reptiles, and 29 years of experience with fresh/salt/brackish fish, plants, ponds, and inverts. I am still no expert, but I know a few things

Quote Originally Posted by unico View Post
    Tony, I will first thank you for answering the questions I asked, though you didn't answer why in regards to the food. But I must state I do not appreciate you mucking up my thread by going off subject. You should have addressed me in a pm if you wanted to antagonize me. I will not address this comment. These posts will stay up for many years to help people out when they are looking for information and when you muck up a thread and take it off subject people don't get the information that they need.

Thread Information