Thread: Why is this tadpole still a tadpole (8 months later)?

MikeTe

Default Why is this tadpole still a tadpole (8 months later)?

My kids (10 and 12) caught this tadpole last June, as a little guy. As it got bigger, we figured it was a bullfrog tad.

Why hasn't it metamorphosed?

They've been taking good care of it..... obviously, I guess, b/c it has grown and it's still alive after all this time. They're quite experienced keepers now b/c of all the other frogs and toads that we have in the house. They change half the water every few days, feed it (and 2 big snails) turtle pellets and fish food every couple of days. It's 2.5 in. long and as active as a tadpole cares to be.

What's up?

Here's a pic from today:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  112.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

eric048

Default Re: Why is this tadpole still a tadpole (8 months later)?

whats the water temp, keep in mind some frogs take up to 3 years before they grow up

SkeletalFrog

Bullfrog time to metamorphosis depends on lattitude and temperature - in Florida, it can be as little at 6 months, but north it an be over 18 months.

MikeTe

The water was around 75 F last summer, early fall, but has been about 67 F this winter. I didn't realize that tadpoles would over-winter...... they all seem to disappear by the end of summer in the river. I've never, in my life, noticed a big bull-tad in the fall (they're generally hard to miss in the spring/summer, they're so big and fat).

...learn something new every day....

SkeletalFrog

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTe View Post
    The water was around 75 F last summer, early fall, but has been about 67 F this winter. I didn't realize that tadpoles would over-winter...... they all seem to disappear by the end of summer in the river. I've never, in my life, noticed a big bull-tad in the fall (they're generally hard to miss in the spring/summer, they're so big and fat).

...learn something new every day....
    From what I know of the literature, bullfrog time to metamorphosis depends on frost-free time at a given site, and they often over-winter at high latitudes. Once it gets cold, they'll just sink to the bottom and go dormant until next spring.

However, I don't know how much plasticity there is in this - if you raise a Canadian bullfrog in Florida temperatures, will it metamorphose as quickly as a Florida bullfrog, or is the duration somehow genetically pre-set? I poked around and didn't find any papers on it, so it may be unknown.

Northern Green Frogs, Rana clamitans, will overwinter as tadpoles as well. They start reappearing in the early spring long before the adult versions have started calling.

I can't say I'd be able to distinguish one from a bullfrog at the tadpole stage though.

Jimbok3

can you post a bigger pic and a closeup pic of the tadpole?

if you can than i should be able to distinguish what type it is......

MikeTe

Default It has legs!!!

Name:  photo-6.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  64.5 KB

KiwiSugar

This can be normal depending on time of year, season, weather etc... He will be strong when does change

Jimbok3

I agree, here in VA bullfrog tadpoles take around two years to change (I have personally shortened the time, but it was through a high nutrient diet)

Thread Information