Thread: New ACF owner

Davin

Default New ACF owner

Hey, I have a 10 gl tank with a 1 1/2" ACF and 5 minnows. The bottom is bare with one piece of mopani wood, and whisper internal filter. I have been trying to feed him frozen blood worms, and frog, and tadpoles bits. The water disturbance is low, but it is a bit noisy. I heard this can stress out the frog. He just seems to sit at the bottom of the tank all day. I will eventually be buying some soft plants, but I am concerned the internal filter is stressing him out? What are your thoughts on this set up? I will get pictures up tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New ACF owner

How long have you had the frog? I don't think the noise of the filter will bother him that much, but I'm not sure. It could be the fact, if you just got him, that he's still adjusting to his new home. Give him a few days and I'm sure he'll become comfortable and start eating for you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Frogs can take a bit to adjust to new surroundings so don't be concerned about them not swimming all over.
    This is also not an extremely active species and will spend most of their day sitting on the bottom. They appreciate lots of hiding areas.

The minnows are a problem - the frog will attempt to eat them sooner or later and minnows are not a healthy diet choice.

Think of your frog as a child - you risk spoiling them by letting them be picky about foods. Stick to the frog/tadpole bites and/or Reptomin broken up so they can eat it. The frozen bloodworms should be offered as a treat as most and only after the frog is eating well for a few weeks for you. Skip feeding for a few days then add some more frog/tadpole bites in. Patience is key. When the frog is hungry and less stressed, it will most definitely eat!

Do not be concerned about the filter - there is way too much hype about them and I wouldn't dream of not filtering a tank. It greatly reduces the risk of disease by having cleaner water. Do you know about cycling a filter and the Nitrogen cycle?
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Davin

I have had him for three days now, but first two days he never had a filter i was trying to find a low disturbance one which I have. As well I will remove the minnows. I need to do some reading up on nitrogen cycles and filter cycles. If you have a bookmarked link for the cycles if not i can find it in search.I do have a few questions though.
    1. How much should I be feeding him at this size? And should I feed him every day?
    2. Water changes: what % of the water should I change and how often? And should I ever do entire tank clean outs I read every few months for that.
    3. Are there any good fish to keep with these guys or are they better kept alone? I eventually want to get a female and upgrade to a 20 gl tank for two acfs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you have a bookmarked link for the cycles if not i can find it in search.I do have a few questions though. The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

1. How much should I be feeding him at this size? And should I feed him every day?
    Daily/ Try to give him what he will eat in 5-10 minutes only.
    2. Water changes: what % of the water should I change and how often?
    25% weekly
    And should I ever do entire tank clean outs I read every few months for that.
    No/never
    3. Are there any good fish to keep with these guys or are they better kept alone?
    Best kept with own species only
    I eventually want to get a female and upgrade to a 20 gl tank for two acfs.
    That is adaquate

Davin

My current set up. My father has tons of smooth rocks from old fish tanks would smooth rocks be okay for hiding spots. I also want some fake plants thinking floating ones from what I have read.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Canada]

Smooth rocks would be fine, but make sure the frog can not move them. The last thing you want is for your frog to get pinned under a rock. I would avoid the fake plants unless they are silk. I use only real plants. There are quite a few low maintaince/low light plants you can use. Try hornwart and wisteria. They look nice and full and will take in some of the excess nutrients in the water. It looks like you could flip that piece of wood too to offer a little "cave" for a hideout.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If that is a screw in type of fixture, you can use the daylight bulbs (6500K) from home depot if you decide to use real plants.

Davin

Another question I have went out and purchased reptomin. So my frogs diet will be reptomin and frog bits made by topfin. My only problem is I put the food in there, and the frog does not eat it. Sometimes he eats it if it falls right infront of his face. I have been trying to move them infront of him, and it seems he does not even acknowledge his food. So i just leave the food in over night and than it seems to dissapear next morning. I am wondering if he just to scared to eat while being watched. It seems he only likes to eat in the dark, but I really want to get him to eat while I can watch him. I am guessing it just takes time for the frog to come around. As well the frog bites sink while the reptomin will float on the top. It says feed only what they can eat in a certain amount of time, but how much do i know how much he will eat if he won't even eat for me. Should i just leave the food in the tank anyways it seems it eats it eventually?

I will do what Jenna said and give him time. Hopefully he loosens up and starts eating for me. It does not seem like he is scared even when i put the food with my hand in there beside him he does not scoot away. Just sits there do frogs normally do this I think he thinks hes camouflage, or he is just not scared of my hand!

Davin

Got my second acf yesterday going to get my 20 gl ready and put them in once my tank is cycled. I put the new guy in and the second day he is all happy like he has been in here all along eating already. These guys seem to make a big mess with their crumbs is their any bottom feeder I could put in to help clean the tank or even snails?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

No bottom feeders are recommended.
    Cories can be eaten by the ACF once they are older. Plecos are way too large and messy. Snails are a risk - I will not have a snail in my tank anymore due to the fact that they easily startle and a frog limb caught in a trapdoor can cause disaster.
    From my personal experience with snails -
    http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...r-my-frog.html

The best, cheap, clean, friendly, long living bottom cleaner? A Turkey Baster - you can do quick spot cleans in between water changes and daily removing bits of waste will keep your water parameters healthier also.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Davin

Wow, sorry to see that happen to Louie.I am happy to see he recovered. That defiantly completely made me change my mind about snails. I will just leave my two ACF's in the tank alone. They seem very happy together. I am unsure of their sex yet. They are very small still under 1" so I think you can not determine their sex until they mature? I will defiantly get myself a turkey blaster. I am currently just using my tiny net to net up the food that I can reach without moving their tank environment around.

Since the first frog was spontaneously given to me in a tiny container as a gift. He was put into a fresh 10 gl tank. I instantly started researching after getting them and quickly learned what he was given to me in is WAY to small! I have fallen in love with him and that is why I got a second. I have read of on cycling my tank, and it is in the current process of being cycled, but my ACFS are in there. Will they be harmed? I am doing water changes 25% twice a week and do have a filter. And I have Live NH2 checking ammonia levels. They do seem to be active in the tank since I put the second frog in yesterday. He has warmed up to the tank 10x times faster than the first frog which makes me happy!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'd also like to add to what Jenna said. There is this other bottom feeder..... common name is python. Works like a champ. Able to eat large volumes of poo, food, and water in minutes.
    Nice looking little guys you have there.

Thread Information