Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: italian pixie owner ;)

Default Re: italian pixie owner ;)

hi, im projecting my new aqua-terrarium, its for my 2 years male...measures will be 90x45x45

i want to make this really realistic, so i have a question:

- can i put some backdrop in the aqua part? gravel? sand? shingles? can u give me an help? can my frog risk choking?

- is necessary an aqua-filter? or i just need a pump to move a bit the water?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by arci90 View Post
    hi, im projecting my new aqua-terrarium, its for my 2 years male...measures will be 90x45x45

- can i put some backdrop in the aqua part? gravel? sand? shingles? can u give me an help? can my frog risk choking?

up guys! help please

Default italian pixie owner ;)

A backdrop outside is fine. I'm thinking you mean substrate for the water part? I would advise against it. First, it may ingest some of it during enthusiastic feeding, and second, it will soon become very dirty, and require constant vacuuming.

Im assuming this tank will have a large aquatic part if you're considering filters. Unless you plan on doing water changes every day (or multiple times per day), yeah you need a filter. A strong filter, preferably a canister filter rated for many times the volume of water you are filtering, and that has fully cycled with your existing tank or another tank with a big bioload. The reason is that the pyxie will create a LOT of ammonia (try and get a water test kit for this, the liquid kind) from their waste AND from other things like substrate and bits of shed skin decaying in the water. Having a cycled filter will give you a head start on controlling that ammonia, though you will need to tweak as needed. Don't be fooled by seemingly clean water. Sometimes clean looking water is ammonia ridden and that can't be good for the frog.

As an example, I have about 12 gallons of water for mine being filtered by a canister filter rated for 70 gallons. I had previously had this filter cycled with a 55 gallon, moderately-heavily stocked fish tank, and I still had problems with high ammonia when I moved it to the frog's. It has more or less settled down now, but I suspect I'll always have to keep a much closer eye on ammonia than your typical fish tank water, as the frog isn't always in the water and providing constant ammonia for beneficial bacteria, which is sure to affect their populations. I've since found a use for ammonia removing filter inserts, as the amount of waste the frog creates ensures that the bacteria still survive even with the use of the inserts! That's a lot of waste.

Uh reading this now, it seems really confusing, so here's the short version:

Unless you want to do daily water changes, you need a strong filter, but be sure to still keep an eye on your water parameters and be ready to do water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    A backdrop outside is fine. I'm thinking you mean substrate for the water part? I would advise against it. First, it may ingest some of it during enthusiastic feeding, and second, it will soon become very dirty, and require constant vacuuming.

Im assuming this tank will have a large aquatic part if you're considering filters. Unless you plan on doing water changes every day (or multiple times per day), yeah you need a filter. A strong filter, preferably a canister filter rated for many times the volume of water you are filtering, and that has fully cycled with your existing tank or another tank with a big bioload. The reason is that the pyxie will create a LOT of ammonia (try and get a water test kit for this, the liquid kind) from their waste AND from other things like substrate and bits of shed skin decaying in the water. Having a cycled filter will give you a head start on controlling that ammonia, though you will need to tweak as needed. Don't be fooled by seemingly clean water. Sometimes clean looking water is ammonia ridden and that can't be good for the frog.

As an example, I have about 12 gallons of water for mine being filtered by a canister filter rated for 70 gallons. I had previously had this filter cycled with a 55 gallon, moderately-heavily stocked fish tank, and I still had problems with high ammonia when I moved it to the frog's. It has more or less settled down now, but I suspect I'll always have to keep a much closer eye on ammonia than your typical fish tank water, as the frog isn't always in the water and providing constant ammonia for beneficial bacteria, which is sure to affect their populations. I've since found a use for ammonia removing filter inserts, as the amount of waste the frog creates ensures that the bacteria still survive even with the use of the inserts! That's a lot of waste.

Uh reading this now, it seems really confusing, so here's the short version:

Unless you want to do daily water changes, you need a strong filter, but be sure to still keep an eye on your water parameters and be ready to do water changes.
    really thank you for the huge answer nice

i know really good all the chimical problems you mentioned...i have a 350 litres tank with piranhas i know how a tank works...

infact i want to put a good filter with bioballs, siporax and other biological substrat to clean the water...

of course ill remove (if i see) all big frog's ****s and ill change water at least twice a week...

really thank you for the huge answer nice

i know really good all the chimical problems you mentioned...i have a 350 litres tank with piranhas i know how a tank works...

infact i want to put a good filter with bioballs, siporax and other biological substrat to clean the water...

of course ill remove (if i see) all big frog's ****s and ill change water at least twice a week...
    so? its ok?

Default italian pixie owner ;)

Sounds good to me.
    It's what I'm doing and it's working well.

Name:  179.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  111.3 KBName:  terrario.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  136.6 KB this is the start of my terrarium....the right part will be with earth, the left one will contain the water...work in progress

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information