Thread: What other toads/frogs/other can live with toads?

Dunian

Default What other toads/frogs/other can live with toads?

I feel like my poor girl is getting lonely, she has a very large habitat and nobody to share it with. I'd like to get her a buddy but I'm not sure what species can live with toads. She is a plain old American toad. So I ask, what species of toads/frogs/other can room with American toads?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

First of all, your toad is not lonely. He can't be lonely. The only reason to add another toad is because you would like to care for it, not because your current toad needs it, because he don't.
    If you would like another animal in there, the same species is the way to go. So, if you would like to care for another frog, add another american toad, or setup another enclosure for the new species.

Dunian

Default Re: What other toads/frogs/other can live with toads?

Jeez no need to be so harsh. Yeah, I want another frog to care for another frog. I'm not saying I don't, I just said it like a lighthearted "want to get her a buddy" sort of way. It wasn't a denial that I'd be getting it for myself.

Anyway thanks for the help. That's what I figured, I was just curious if there was any other species that could reside with them.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I am sorry if I sounded harsh. That was not my intention, I was just trying to enlighten you (since I no idea if you truly meant that she is lonely or not) about the frogs unloneliness
    It's a good thing you asked instead of just doing it instead. Once again, I apologize.

Squirp

I didn't think that was harsh, some people are very passionately against the mixing of species.
    bluntly you'd be mixing toxins, and someones going to get sick.

I feel like we should have a sticked topic about frequently asked questions on the board,
    No offense to yourself Maya, we appreciate your enthusiasms,
    but I've gotten quite bored with this site due the same questions being asked repeatedly.
    regardless we're always happy to help here, maybe I just have thicker skin but I've never taken someone's criticism as an inward refraction, we all make mistakes and as long as your intentions are in the right direction, no one here will try to emotionally upset you.

toad psychology is debatable. but I have a small democracy of toads, all common american's same type to relate best with whats typically going on here. I've had them isolated prior to the final terrarium display, and despite occasionally being stressed out from one another, they all get along fine, and I feel like they are more active, and the competition for food has helped them grow significantly larger. I've rehabilitated a starved toad who was at one time the smallest of the knot. It's very opposite now, as the largest toad at one time is now the smallest. This is just my own interpretation, but I have somewhat embraced the scientific method, So, in short they may not have the emotional responses that we associate with health, but I do feel that the overall competition will bring out the best in them. again debatable, this is only based on 6 months of isolation and 6 months of community.

wesleybrouwer

A male american toad?

mikeytoads

i know it's an older thread, but my 2 cents is:
    i've kept toads for many years - decades.
    they always seem happier when they have a friend or two or more.
    currently i've got over 200 toadlets in one tank - they clearly and obviously enjoy physical contact with each other as they hang out in little groups of 3-20, often making a pyramid formation which is quite amusing

Thread Information