Thread: New tomater frog, Some advice needed!

Froggiefressh

Default New tomater frog, Some advice needed!

So I went to a pet supplies plus today and seen they had couple pacmans, pixie frog, chubby frog, and a tomato frog. The pet stores by my house don't usually carry that many frogs so I was pretty excited. I've had a tomato frog a couple years ago. I enjoyed the frog very much. My girlfriend and I decided to buy this tomato, plus he was only $19.99 I couldn't help it. They had him a tiny little cage with bark chips. I felt I had to rescue him. On top of the good price they were already selling him for the guy marked the box $12.99 which was the same price as the chubby. So you know they had no idea what they were doing. I looked on a lot of care sheets and the threads on here and I can't seem to find an average temperature range for these guys. I want to make sure I have him in as ideal temperature as possible. Anyone who cares for these guys could you give me an ideal temperature to keep this little guy at and a humidity level!(and any other advice that will help for the best possible care) I would greatly appreciate it and so will my tomato! =) I could tell he was stressed out from the guy at the store throwing him in the box and the 20 min car ride home. I tried to feed him anyway I offered him a horn worm first. He ate it so fast I didn't even see him take it from my tongs. After that I feed him about 5 or 6 crickets which he devoured. Which had me thinking they were starving him at the pet store(I don't know that for a fact just a guess) Any feedback would be great thanks, Greg =) P.S I'll post pictures or a video soon! Right now I have the tomato in 74-76 temp. not sure about the humidity on paper towel until tomorrow so I can get coco-fiber the pet store was closed before I could get some more. I just have a 5 1/2 inch light fixture on top of the tank with a 40 watt normal house light bulb.
    Last edited by Froggiefressh; February 26th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New tomater frog, Some advice needed!

Not sure on the care of these guys. I'm interested in getting one, though. I can't wait to see pictures of him.

Froggiefressh

He/She is so cute! I think its a he because when I was in the car I swear I heard him croak once or twice. He is a very aggressive eater which I like, unlike my pacman who gently takes the food from my tongs, The tomato rips the bugs off leaving the limbs and what not. I will take a picture asap right now he is sleeping in his hide and I don't wanna stress him out anymore today.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    He/She is so cute! I think its a he because when I was in the car I swear I heard him croak once or twice. He is a very aggressive eater which I like, unlike my pacman who gently takes the food from my tongs, The tomato rips the bugs off leaving the limbs and what not. I will take a picture asap right now he is sleeping in his hide and I don't wanna stress him out anymore today.
    I believe their temp and humidity range is the same as a Pacman so this atleast gives you the climate. Use coco fiber substrate too.

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I believe their temp and humidity range is the same as a Pacman so this atleast gives you the climate. Use coco fiber substrate too.
    I got coco fiber yesterday I knew they were burrowing type. I bought a big bag so I could clean out my pacmans tank also. I put the fiber in a bowl and added warm conditioned water. Then I put it in there tanks and so far this is the 2nd day, but doing this has kept the humidity higher then usual so I don't have to spray it 4 times a day. My 40 watt house bulb kept the tank around 74-76. I see you put that they're to be kept at the same as pacs so I just put a 60 watt bulb in there this should keep it where is suppose to be.

Nationality
    [United States]

I got coco fiber yesterday I knew they were burrowing type. I bought a big bag so I could clean out my pacmans tank also. I put the fiber in a bowl and added warm conditioned water. Then I put it in there tanks and so far this is the 2nd day, but doing this has kept the humidity higher then usual so I don't have to spray it 4 times a day. My 40 watt house bulb kept the tank around 74-76. I see you put that they're to be kept at the same as pacs so I just put a 60 watt bulb in there this should keep it where is suppose to be.
    50 watts would be best for heat bulbs, but I don't know about house bulbs. It will probably be fine. Watch the temps. I think you don't want to go higher than 80 with Tomato frogs. I'm not entirely sure of their range I just remember reading somewhere that they are farely close to Pacs in climate.

Froggiefressh

I seen a post by Kurt, I think it was him. He said he keeps his in the mid 70s range so the 40 watt bulb I have is perfect keeps the tank at 76.

Nationality
    [United States]

I seen a post by Kurt, I think it was him. He said he keeps his in the mid 70s range so the 40 watt bulb I have is perfect keeps the tank at 76.
    Good. I would follow Kurt's setup and climate.

Froggiefressh

Good. I would follow Kurt's setup and climate.
    So far I have been and so far so good! This tomato is an excellent eater very aggressive and eats more then my pacman! Which I didn't think was possible. I keep the tank heavily misted and
    temps are mid 70s . I have him in a 10 gallon currently, but plan on getting another tomato so I can use this 20 gallong I've been waiting to use! =)

Nationality
    [United States]

So far I have been and so far so good! This tomato is an excellent eater very aggressive and eats more then my pacman! Which I didn't think was possible. I keep the tank heavily misted and
    temps are mid 70s . I have him in a 10 gallon currently, but plan on getting another tomato so I can use this 20 gallong I've been waiting to use! =)
    Sounds good. Sometimes Pacs won't eat a lot for periods of time and then all of a sudden their huge appetite returns.

Froggiefressh

Sounds good. Sometimes Pacs won't eat a lot for periods of time and then all of a sudden their huge appetite returns.
    I'm really glad you told me that my pacman wasn't eating for a few days and I've been worried.

Thread Information