Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My current pacman setup

Silver00LT

Default My current pacman setup

He/she is ~1" I had the tank and no intention on buying a 'land' frog. So I adapted the tank to it.

Right now I have Cypress Bed as the bedding. I am thinking about Jungle Bed and keep it kinda soaked where you can see water, but its not submerged. I know that will help with the humidity. This Cypress Bed is still dry when I mist I aim at his/her's little bedding that is by the water bowl.

Bulbs are 75W day bulb and a 60W night bulb. This is what Petsmart recommended to me, but I found this site and just doing more in depth research. Frog looks happy...hasn't had the 3 a day cricket feast yet probably due to new environment. Last night they had large crickets all over his small butt cage. I thoroughly checked to make sure no damage. I purchased some 1/4 scale crickets that are more manageable along with some mealworms. Crickets and worms are through Armstrong. This morning ate a meal worm and few minutes ago a cricket, but the 2nd one is still moving around getting moisture off the bedding. If he does have it soon I will remove it like I removed the two last night.

Video of the tank:
    Our Pacman frog and exhibit - YouTube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My current pacman setup

Quote Originally Posted by Silver00LT View Post
    He/she is ~1" I had the tank and no intention on buying a 'land' frog. So I adapted the tank to it.

Right now I have Cypress Bed as the bedding. I am thinking about Jungle Bed and keep it kinda soaked where you can see water, but its not submerged. I know that will help with the humidity. This Cypress Bed is still dry when I mist I aim at his/her's little bedding that is by the water bowl.

Bulbs are 75W day bulb and a 60W night bulb. This is what Petsmart recommended to me, but I found this site and just doing more in depth research. Frog looks happy...hasn't had the 3 a day cricket feast yet probably due to new environment. Last night they had large crickets all over his small butt cage. I thoroughly checked to make sure no damage. I purchased some 1/4 scale crickets that are more manageable along with some mealworms. Crickets and worms are through Armstrong. This morning ate a meal worm and few minutes ago a cricket, but the 2nd one is still moving around getting moisture off the bedding. If he does have it soon I will remove it like I removed the two last night.

Video of the tank:
    Our Pacman frog and exhibit - YouTube
    You should never listen to Petsmart. Your setup is not horrible but hardly ideal.

When using heat lamps you need a lamp with a dimmer switch so you can accurately control heat and light output. Next your bulbs wattage is too HIGH. You should not go higher than 50 watts. You could damage your frogs skin and eyes with high wattage bulbs. You should change to 50 watts.

The substrate needs to be Coconut fiber NOT husk. Cypress bedding is bad. If ingested accidentally it coyld cause iimpaction and death. Also when you switch to coconut fiber look for eco earth and plantation soil. These are the brands you'll want. The substrate must be moist not mud. Heavily damp is best.

He needs temps during the day of 80 to 82 F and night temps 75 to 79 F. At night stay around 77 or 78.

Humidity levels shoul be kept at 70 to 80%.

Hope this gives you some help with your new Pacman. Also be careful feeding too many meal worms. The chitin that their exoskeleton is made from cannot be digested by your frog. If he is fed too many he may become impacted.

Keep us posted on your little guy/girl.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Silver00LT

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You should never listen to Petsmart. Your setup is not horrible but hardly ideal.

When using heat lamps you need a lamp with a dimmer switch so you can accurately control heat and light output. Next your bulbs wattage is too HIGH. You should not go higher than 50 watts. You could damage your frogs skin and eyes with high wattage bulbs. You should change to 50 watts.

The substrate needs to be Coconut fiber NOT husk. Cypress bedding is bad. If ingested accidentally it coyld cause iimpaction and death. Also when you switch to coconut fiber look for eco earth and plantation soil. These are the brands you'll want. The substrate must be moist not mud. Heavily damp is best.

He needs temps during the day of 80 to 82 F and night temps 75 to 79 F. At night stay around 77 or 78.

Humidity levels shoul be kept at 70 to 80%.

Hope this gives you some help with your new Pacman. Also be careful feeding too many meal worms. The chitin that their exoskeleton is made from cannot be digested by your frog. If he is fed too many he may become impacted.

Keep us posted on your little guy/girl.
    Which is why I only got what I needed to keep him alive until I did thorough research. First time I have purchased anything without research just could not say no to the boys. But I do not like this setup its just....BLAH lol. I have been drawing ideas up in my head, etc. Just been waiting for you guys to chime in so I know which direction to go. This bedding I will be honest I do not like, but it was the only 'suggested' one they had. Is there a dimmer switch available to plug in and do it that way?

Also on the mealworms. Would one a week be okay? I prefer cricket feeding them.

By coconut fiber...this correct? http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...tm_term=239546

Here is what I would like to do, but I do not know if its ideal for these guys.

I like this setup, but I would change it up for my tank size, etc. Still reading over this massive site of info.

I take critics and comments both with a open mind.

Nationality
    [United States]

get a 10 gal eco earth and a little moss near the waterdish for more humidity always before youu a animal do your research or get a 16 quart
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Silver00LT

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    get a 10 gal eco earth and a little moss near the waterdish for more humidity always before youu a animal do your research or get a 16 quart
    Yeah first and last animal without research. I heard moss can cause impacting....so any recommendations there? I got loose coconut fiber from eco earth ready to buy. Get 50w bulbs and a way to dim them. This correct?

Until they come in and get them is there a way I can 'dim' it so he is not further damaged? I moved the beam, etc. from directly over the middle.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's definitely better to thoroughly do your research before obtaining a new critter you've never had before. Also, NEVER trust the information given to you by a person at a large chain store like PetSmart. Most, if not all, their employees are just there for the paycheck and know little to nothing about the critters they sell - especially when it comes to reptiles and/or amphibians. But, you're on the right track by coming to this forum.

You definitely want to get your frog off that Crypress bark. It's not ideal and if ingested could cause impaction. I've never seen the Eco Earth sold in bags like you've posted. Around here they are sold in expanding bricks, like this:

If they happen to ingest this then it is fully digestible. Also, I wouldn't use any type of light bulb for heat. They don't like the light. I would go with a UTH(under tank heater) attached to a thermostat to adjust the temps accordingly. Alone the UTH gets WAY too hot and unsafe, but if attached to a thermostat is just fine. There's a cheap one you can get that I recommend off amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR...8988074&sr=8-1

They work great. The night time light bulb would be fine to use as it isn't bright like the regular bulbs.

Crickets as a staple is just fine. Remember to dust them with vitamin dust. If you'd like to give your Pac variety then worms is also a good choice.

9. This member thanks toxxxickitten for this post:

Silver00LT

Would the pac be okay if I packed everything up tonight. My dual lamp and bulbs to take them back tomorrow after work? We keep the heat on 68 here, but you can type 36207 in for our weather tomorrow. They close early on Sundays so its to late to do it tonight. Only reason I bought this stuff last night is because the guy that works there actually has done research, but that research is a GENERAL research and as you see it was wrong for this frog.

I found the brick eco earth as well. Since you guys suggested that I selected it.

BigBlue83

ive never seen the eco earth like that in the bag either. I cant stress this enough DONT LISTEN TO PET STORE PEOPLE its not even the big chains its the little pet shops too that only know about basic pets. a dog a cat maybe a bird or a fish. and even then they dont know ****! i think pet stores should do a better job at employing people. get some people with animal experience. ok im going to cut that rant short sorry. i didnt get to see your frogs set up because you had it locked on youtube. as far as heating UTH dont always work by themselves you MAY still need another source, as grif said stay under 50 watt. i have an albino so i use an infrered bulb. it works great. its hooked up to device that you dial in the desired temp and the light comes on and off to accomadate the desired temp. i just have to mist and add water to bowl like twice a day. i paid about 52 bucks for the temp regulator. dont use jungle bed either its garbage. i also use this vitamin powder called repashy its supposed to be the best because it has all the vitamins and calcium and all the other nutrients needed in one powder

Silver00LT

After the information I have found for my pac only thing I am using the stores as its for the products. I found the bricks, but they are out until possibly Wednesday. So any suggestions? But today I am taking my 75 and 60 watt bulbs back and getting 50 day and maybe 40 night along with a temperature for the tanks as I just have a regular one in there. I will be leaving in about 30-45 mins. gotta put hub assy back onto truck. LOL

Bought:

UTH
    Rheostat
    50watt day bulb Eco Xterra
    40watt nightlight red by Zoo Med(to watch him at night and if the UTH needs a lil help)
    Temp gauge

Waiting for them to get in on Wed:
    Eco Earth Coconut Fiber Bricks
    Temp/Humidity gauge(I like back ups)

So far his activity has increased since I moved the bulbs to the far corner until I could purchase them. I'd like to take the time now to thank everyone who has helped me fix the mistakes I made without doing proper research before we bought the pacman. Costs have gone well above 200. I went in thinking 100, but I lost maybe 12 bucks in the bedding and that is it. Everything else was able to swap. I saw the foil/plastic wrap trick to help keep humidity in the tank. Going to do that get the temp right and get him happy. The only thing we've gotten right so far is the Reptisafe for his water. LOL -embarrassed-

When I get the bedding I will immediately swap it over. Again to everyone thanks for the help and I really appreciate the help for this and future. We are hoping he lives a long life, and with help from you guys us being beginners I know we will not be left out to dry.
    Last edited by Silver00LT; February 27th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

After the information I have found for my pac only thing I am using the stores as its for the products. I found the bricks, but they are out until possibly Wednesday. So any suggestions? But today I am taking my 75 and 60 watt bulbs back and getting 50 day and maybe 40 night along with a temperature for the tanks as I just have a regular one in there. I will be leaving in about 30-45 mins. gotta put hub assy back onto truck. LOL

Bought:

UTH
    Rheostat
    50watt day bulb Eco Xterra
    40watt nightlight red by Zoo Med(to watch him at night and if the UTH needs a lil help)
    Temp gauge

Waiting for them to get in on Wed:
    Eco Earth Coconut Fiber Bricks
    Temp/Humidity gauge(I like back ups)

So far his activity has increased since I moved the bulbs to the far corner until I could purchase them. I'd like to take the time now to thank everyone who has helped me fix the mistakes I made without doing proper research before we bought the pacman. Costs have gone well above 200. I went in thinking 100, but I lost maybe 12 bucks in the bedding and that is it. Everything else was able to swap. I saw the foil/plastic wrap trick to help keep humidity in the tank. Going to do that get the temp right and get him happy. The only thing we've gotten right so far is the Reptisafe for his water. LOL -embarrassed-

When I get the bedding I will immediately swap it over. Again to everyone thanks for the help and I really appreciate the help for this and future. We are hoping he lives a long life, and with help from you guys us being beginners I know we will not be left out to dry.
    You're welcome.

You are not the first and most certainly will not be the last. Luckily you found this forum.

Be sure that when you do get the Eco Earth Bricks that you expand them with warm de-chlorinated water. Treat the water before placing the brick in.

Most people get these frogs and believe its an easy pet when mind you that no frog is actually an easy pet. They are highly sensitive to their enveironment. People think that since they paid 15 dallors for a Pacman that it couldn't possibly cost very much to house it. Well I can tell you that they need more care than any book will ever tell you. Just to get a good starter setup can cost over $250.00. To be able to not worry about them while you're away during the day or night because of a more elaborate timed and automatic fagging humidity system costs even more.

It all comes down to how much you really want go take care of this new and very fulfilling pet. Watching them grow and even some feed right from your finger tips, but not advisable with Pacmans because if the frog misses and gets your finger and a juvinile or adult you'll have some nice wounds you'll have to bandage. No worries though. Just do as advised from everyone here and you'll be well on your way to having a happy frog.

Good luck and any specific questions feel free to ask.

Silver00LT

You're welcome.

You are not the first and most certainly will not be the last. Luckily you found this forum.

Be sure that when you do get the Eco Earth Bricks that you expand them with warm de-chlorinated water. Treat the water before placing the brick in.

Most people get these frogs and believe its an easy pet when mind you that no frog is actually an easy pet. They are highly sensitive to their enveironment. People think that since they paid 15 dallors for a Pacman that it couldn't possibly cost very much to house it. Well I can tell you that they need more care than any book will ever tell you. Just to get a good starter setup can cost over $250.00. To be able to not worry about them while you're away during the day or night because of a more elaborate timed and automatic fagging humidity system costs even more.

It all comes down to how much you really want go take care of this new and very fulfilling pet. Watching them grow and even some feed right from your finger tips, but not advisable with Pacmans because if the frog misses and gets your finger and a juvinile or adult you'll have some nice wounds you'll have to bandage. No worries though. Just do as advised from everyone here and you'll be well on your way to having a happy frog.

Good luck and any specific questions feel free to ask.
    He looks happier...not really eating the crickets right now. I do not blame him...if I was being baked I would not want to eat either. But if he has not ate the crickets in there by my bed time I will be removing them. He is right beside me and I keep glancing over like he is a kid. Pretty much needs the care of one, but people may view it just as a frog. I saw that kit you are talking about....meh when he gets older and I get a little more experience.

As little pups do they eat daily or every other day?

I am glad I found this forum....first animal forum for me. Fish I am a medium with. My 60 gal is self sufficient I just keep an eye on everything but they are doing great...now frogs. HAHA Not even close to fish that is one reason why I googled and found this forum because I need the resources and advice. That note on the treated water for the bricks I did not know...thank you very much for telling me it. It does make since though. You treat their mist water and drinking water so their bedding as well. Like I said if you do not find out or ask you may never know and make a mistake.

Again thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

He looks happier...not really eating the crickets right now. I do not blame him...if I was being baked I would not want to eat either. But if he has not ate the crickets in there by my bed time I will be removing them. He is right beside me and I keep glancing over like he is a kid. Pretty much needs the care of one, but people may view it just as a frog. I saw that kit you are talking about....meh when he gets older and I get a little more experience.

As little pups do they eat daily or every other day?

I am glad I found this forum....first animal forum for me. Fish I am a medium with. My 60 gal is self sufficient I just keep an eye on everything but they are doing great...now frogs. HAHA Not even close to fish that is one reason why I googled and found this forum because I need the resources and advice. That note on the treated water for the bricks I did not know...thank you very much for telling me it. It does make since though. You treat their mist water and drinking water so their bedding as well. Like I said if you do not find out or ask you may never know and make a mistake.

Again thanks.
    Be sure to always ask if you are not sure. Better safe than sorry. Frogs can die over night from inadequate care and housing.

Babies you'll want to feed every day. Make sure to get a multivitamin and a calcium supplement that has vitamin D3. Dust once a week with the multivitamin and every other feeding with the calcium. Do not use both at the same time in the same feeding.

As a baby he needs day temps of 80 to 82. No higher. At night 75 to 79, but stay on the warm side at 78. Humidity must be 80% and kept there as best you can. Do not water log the coco fiber. Squeeze it out in hand fulls to the amount of moisture you want it to be. Heavily damp is my discription. Buy him a fake plant too. One with leaves wide enough for shade and place it right under his light. Also your temp gaughe Nd hygrometer should be dead center of the back wall of the tank 1 inch above the substrate for a more accurate all around reading.

Cover 3 sides of the tank with some sort of nature background so tha he feels more secure. Its all about keeping stress on the as low as possible. He will take time to adjust to his new home.

Keep us posted with his progress.

Silver00LT

He is looking a lot better. Temp just hit 80...took it long enough. lol

Now I have the UTH on the side like I have seen recommended on here for best results. When I do the coverage how much would it affect the heating? It is the 10-20 pad(30 gal tank, but have a heat light as well if needed). I think I actually have a 29 gal. This is why I went with the 10-20.

I can NOT WAIT to get the new substrate in....I feel better. I have my temp gauge exactly where you stated because that is how I do my fish tanks. lol As far as questions...I will type you to death, but I am also against asking the same question repeatedly...8 years of forums I got tired of seeing bashing over it. Luckily have not seen that here. -thumbs up- I am going to do a cricket count...if all 3 are in there I am just going to remove 2 of them. The substrate has moisture so one 1/4 cricket should be alright with him right?

I will also add...cost is no factor for me I want this guy happy and taken care of, but at the same time he is not a golden frog.

Well just moved the wood...4 crickets. Can not remember how many went in there. Mealworm...IDK and do not feel like poking around where he made his home he is already been through enough. I got 3 of them out and left the smallest one in there.

Nationality
    [United States]

He is looking a lot better. Temp just hit 80...took it long enough. lol

Now I have the UTH on the side like I have seen recommended on here for best results. When I do the coverage how much would it affect the heating? It is the 10-20 pad(30 gal tank, but have a heat light as well if needed). I think I actually have a 29 gal. This is why I went with the 10-20.

I can NOT WAIT to get the new substrate in....I feel better. I have my temp gauge exactly where you stated because that is how I do my fish tanks. lol As far as questions...I will type you to death, but I am also against asking the same question repeatedly...8 years of forums I got tired of seeing bashing over it. Luckily have not seen that here. -thumbs up- I am going to do a cricket count...if all 3 are in there I am just going to remove 2 of them. The substrate has moisture so one 1/4 cricket should be alright with him right?

I will also add...cost is no factor for me I want this guy happy and taken care of, but at the same time he is not a golden frog.
    If cost is not a factor than may I suggest a 10 gallon tank because a 29 is way to large for even an adult Pacman. So I would buy one of those and apply the same info as was stated above.

Next to make his humidity stay at 80% buy a Zoo Med Hygrotherm and hook a Zoo Med Reptifogger up to it. The Hygrotherm will control the humidity levels within the enclosure by turning on the fogger when humidity drops below your set level as well as turn heat elements on and off to keep the heat right where you set the Hygrotherm to keep it. Its a sound investment for a happy frog. I use it and recomend it highly. Look them up.

Silver00LT

If cost is not a factor than may I suggest a 10 gallon tank because a 29 is way to large for even an adult Pacman. So I would buy one of those and apply the same info as was stated above.

Next to make his humidity stay at 80% buy a Zoo Med Hygrotherm and hook a Zoo Med Reptifogger up to it. The Hygrotherm will control the humidity levels within the enclosure by turning on the fogger when humidity drops below your set level as well as turn heat elements on and off to keep the heat right where you set the Hygrotherm to keep it. Its a sound investment for a happy frog. I use it and recomend it highly. Look them up.
    I opened the door up on that one. lol

I have a lot invested in tank and stand which is why I turned it. Those two items together what is a rough estimate?

Nationality
    [United States]

I opened the door up on that one. lol

I have a lot invested in tank and stand which is why I turned it. Those two items together what is a rough estimate?
    Probably around $230.00 for both.

Silver00LT

Probably around $230.00 for both.
    That is not bad. When I get some more slush funds for major purchases I will look into that.

Now that I am able to keep temperature steady(not sure on humidity yet) But I keep the substrate moist for him he is moving within 2 inches of his 'area'.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is not bad. When I get some more slush funds for major purchases I will look into that.

Now that I am able to keep temperature steady(not sure on humidity yet) But I keep the substrate moist for him he is moving within 2 inches of his 'area'.
    The relative humidity will drop as the temp rises. It will drop several times per day depending on ambient room humidity. Some have a lot of trouble keeping it up and others not so much. A lot depends on where you live and the room the frog is in as well as the enclosure itself. You have a hygrometer right? You need one because you need to know what the humidity level is within the enclosure.

Silver00LT

The relative humidity will drop as the temp rises. It will drop several times per day depending on ambient room humidity. Some have a lot of trouble keeping it up and others not so much. A lot depends on where you live and the room the frog is in as well as the enclosure itself. You have a hygrometer right? You need one because you need to know what the humidity level is within the enclosure.
    It is on my to get list. 2nd one actually after the bricks.

Silver00LT

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Petsmart said they were getting coconut fiber in today.....it was HUSK! I grabbed some moss and just left before I snapped. Getting the moss ready going to put some in just around his home, etc that way he is away from that cypress. Ordering the fiber tonight so MAYBE it'll be in before I leave for Texas. He will not be alone...wife is still going to be here.

Just ordered it and it'll be here in 5-8. I would of already had it if Petsmart didnt say they get FIBER in instead they actually get HUSK. How simple is it to walk over and read coconut HUSK on the price label on the shelf. -shakes head- Just aggravated....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information