Thread: Question of Toad's unusual behavior

Default Question of Toad's unusual behavior

I have an American toad that is approximately 7 months old and is and inch long(from nose to rear). He has consitently been on a diet of meal worms and crickets for the past three weeks. One week ago, however, he stopped eating. I am concerned as it has been some time since he last ate, and he was always eating well. I dont know why he has stopped eating, all the conditions in his environment have remained relatively stable. He does not look emaciated and is actually looking fat, but does not try to eat anything i put in front of him. The temperature gets down to about 60 degrees at night and is usually 70 to 75 during the day. If anyone can tell me what to do to get him to eat again i will be extremely grateful. Please reply soon, as I dont want him to become sick and possibly die.

I was unsure if he is attempting to hibernate, and if he is how do I stop him or make sure he doesnt become ill if he does hibernate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question of Toad's unusual behavior

Quote Originally Posted by 2132462 View Post
    I have an American toad that is approximately 7 months old and is and inch long(from nose to rear). He has consitently been on a diet of meal worms and crickets for the past three weeks. One week ago, however, he stopped eating. I am concerned as it has been some time since he last ate, and he was always eating well. I dont know why he has stopped eating, all the conditions in his environment have remained relatively stable. He does not look emaciated and is actually looking fat, but does not try to eat anything i put in front of him. The temperature gets down to about 60 degrees at night and is usually 70 to 75 during the day. If anyone can tell me what to do to get him to eat again i will be extremely grateful. Please reply soon, as I dont want him to become sick and possibly die.

I was unsure if he is attempting to hibernate, and if he is how do I stop him or make sure he doesnt become ill if he does hibernate?
    Are you using de-chlorinated water or spring water?

Try and keep his night temp just a bit higher maybe 65.

If he is trying to hibernate then you need to warm him so he will not do so. Soak him in some luke warm de-chlorinated water. This should wake him up. He will be stressed afterwards so leave him be for a while before trying to feed.

When was the last time he pooped?

Squirp

Situations normal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Like Grif asked, when was the last time he pooped? My opinion is that meal worms and crickets are a lot of hard crunchy feeders and I would be concerned about impaction. If you haven't seen any feces, I agree you need to let him soak in warm water. When I don't see my Fowler's toad poop I use warm water, he'll soak for hours then ta-daa, all better. I would mix his diet up with worms and roaches, something a little softer yet still very nutritious. Also if he wants to hibernate let him. My female has been underground for 3.5 weeks now, my male goes down for a few days or 2 weeks then comes back up. I've read several places where hibernation extends their life span and I'm all for that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    Like Grif asked, when was the last time he pooped? My opinion is that meal worms and crickets are a lot of hard crunchy feeders and I would be concerned about impaction. If you haven't seen any feces, I agree you need to let him soak in warm water. When I don't see my Fowler's toad poop I use warm water, he'll soak for hours then ta-daa, all better. I would mix his diet up with worms and roaches, something a little softer yet still very nutritious. Also if he wants to hibernate let him. My female has been underground for 3.5 weeks now, my male goes down for a few days or 2 weeks then comes back up. I've read several places where hibernation extends their life span and I'm all for that.
    Your right Gail. Estivation does extend their life span. Maybe it would be best to let him take a rest. If he burrows down let him. Do not feed many mealworms. The chitin that their exoskeleton is made of cannot be digested by your toads. Once a week for mealies is plenty. Do as Gail said worms and roaches even the occational wax worm is better than mealworms.

I noticed recently that he has been gulping alot. i read somewhere that toads eat their shed skin, could he simply be shedding his skin? and if so when will he begin to eat again? i have been using spring water his entire life so i dont think that is the problem. last time i saw poop in his water bowl was about a week ago. he has been a little more interested in the food in his tank, but he hasnt actually been verocious and caught anything. i will try to feed him worms soon. thank you for your comments and suggestions so far (:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes they eat their skin when they shed, but the shed time should only take minutes, not days. There have been times when Rufus, my male will only eat a few bugs per week, then other times he gobbles down several at one sitting each day for several days. Good to hear that he has pooped. Was this before or after he stopped eating. If it was after, then good chance impaction is not an issue.

My toad has still not eaten and has become emaciated. He also has not pooped for some time. He just sits around and gulps alot, almost like he's trying to swallow something. What should I do? I fear that he make have become impacted due to eating a small amount of his substrate (which is soil). Is there anything that I can do to solve this problem and to save my baby toad?

Thread Information