Thread: Needing help with my purple vampire crab habitat

Butterflychild

Default Needing help with my purple vampire crab habitat

Hello all i have 1 Purple Vampire Crab with a minimal setup right now but am looking ot make a better home for it. I was told that i need this stuff and its way to much stuff i cant afford it all. Heres the list of what i was told i needed.

at least 40 gal tank, glass lid, tank stand, grapevine branches, feeding tool, terrarium pump, terraruim filter, heat wave forest, thermoneter, hygrometer, light cycle unit, fogger. waterfall, coco husk, pebbles, plantation soil, strofoam aquarium background, tree fern tropical background, monsoon RS400 high-pressure rainfall system, sand (white), calcuim, hut or coconut shell, real plants for land and water,Moss (java,peat, terrarium and stagnum, Silicone, plastic screen, infrared ot ceramic heating bulb, eco earth or organic potting soil and pea gravel.

Im so cunfussed i dont know what to do. what i need to get and what i dont need t have. I want the crab to have a habitat thats the same as its natural home but im on a fixed budget on Disability.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Default Re: Needing help with my purple vampire crab habitat

I have no experience with the species so I cannot add anything of value, sorry. However, a good rule of thumb to stick with is Research > Build Habitat > Get animal you are wanting to keep.

J Teezy

i don't know much about crabs either, but just from looking at your supplies list, I'm willing to bet that you were told you needed all that from a worker at a store, because to me there's some stuff in their that just seems like someone just trying to make money off you.

For instance you list a styrofoam background and another type of background. You'd only "need" one but you can make your own background easily and cheap.

you were told you needed a monsoon misting system? Why did the person say you needed this? To provide humidity? If so, you can do this with a cheap $1.00 spray bottle from the dollar store instead of a $100 monsoon mister that will break on you anyway. if you really want a mister system check out mistking.com

Butterflychild

I was just wondering if this light would be ok or not. I like the idea that it turns on and off like night and day.

The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit Electronic Dimming Terrarium Lamp Controller, is an electronic ballast, a timer and a dusk - dawn simulator in one. The timer can be set for three lighting periods: 10, 12 or 14 hours. When a daytime cycle starts it will take about 30 minutes to bring the light output of the bulb to 100%, simulating a natural dawn period. At the end of each daytime cycle it will take again about 30 minutes to go from 100% light output to 0%, simulating a natural dusk period. This is less stressful for the animals and even stimulates breeding behaviour in many species of reptiles. It gives the animals time to retreat into their burrows or hiding places. The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit provides a flexible lighting solution for your terrarium. Just mount the electronic ballast housing near the terrarium, and connect the fluorescent bulbs to the water-resistant end caps. The long, flexible end-cap leads allow you to position the fluorescent bulbs very close to the animals, necessary when UVB bulbs are used (ie: Repti Glo 5.0 and 10.0). The long end-cap leads also provide the versatility to mount bulbs over any type of terrarium, regardless of size.

- Fits two fluorescent bulbs
    - Dims fluorescent tubes (dusk and dawn effect!)
    - Built-in timer
    - Ideal for use with Exo Terra Repti Glo and other fluorescent bulbs
    - More energy efficient than conventional ballasts or light strips
    - No flickering; less stressful for reptiles and amphibians
    - Water-resistant end-caps for maximum safety
    - Long end-cap leads
    - On/Off Switch

The Exo Terra Light Units are the most flexible solution for fitting all types of linear fluorescents tubes onto any type of terrarium. All units come with a double fitting to enable the combination of different Repti Glo bulbs in order to obtain the right light output depending on the species and climate. The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit also has a timer and a linear fluorescent bulb dimmer built in.

What do you all think not sure what like they need on top of a glass tank lid

Thread Information